Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wrong Fuel in Tank - Help Needed Please

trevndi

Country Flag
australia
Accidentally filled up with 33 litres of Shell V-Power (98 octane premium unleaded fuel) instead of diesel in our 2011 200 Series Landcruiser.

We rang tow truck who took us home.

Can anyone give us details how to drain the tank ? and what other things that should be done ie change filters etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Trev & Di

Did you start the cruiser at all? If not drain the tank. Disconnect fuel lines and blow out with compressed air change filters just to be sure.
Stu

Did you start the cruiser at all? If not drain the tank. Disconnect fuel lines and blow out with compressed air change filters just to be sure.
Stu

We just drove it from the fuel pump to parking area of the service station - it was just a few metres. Trev & Di

Should be ok. Lucky you realised it so quickly. I very much dought the petrol even got out of the tank but is it worth taking a chance?

I did the same a couple of years ago, didn't even realise what I'd done and drove away until the engine started running rough and finally cut out, when I looked at the garage receipt I saw I had bought a tank FULL of unleaded had to call out the RAC for recovery, no damage seems to have been done to the engine, it's been running fine ever since. There is a drain plug in the bottom of the tank, I've never drained the tank myself but I watched it being done.

I did the same a couple of years ago, didn't even realise what I'd done and drove away until the engine started running rough and finally cut out, when I looked at the garage receipt I saw I had bought a tank FULL of unleaded had to call out the RAC for recovery, no damage seems to have been done to the engine, it's been running fine ever since. There is a drain plug in the bottom of the tank, I've never drained the tank myself but I watched it being done.

Similar story here on my diesel 80, brimmed a drained tank with unleaded, drove off totally unaware, until 5 minutes later, she coughed and gurgled to a stop. No AA, RAC or the green thingy here, so it was desperate measures. Phoned a friend, and whilst he was busy buying a can of the oily stuff to bring to me, I was underneath with a spanner. After draining 80 litres of petrol into the dirt verge (no catch cans available :whistle:) and draining the fuel filter, we put the diesel in and hand pumped it trough the lines after slackening off the injector banjos. We smelt and felt the petrol coming through (it was dark and raining, of course) and then pinched everything back up.

Took a bit of starting, which was spluttery for a while, then it ran clear and smooth.

The fuel filter has been changed since, but I didn't change it after the event. (should have I suppose)...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you all for responding to our post - your help and comments very much appreciated. Trev & Di

Back