Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New alternator

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Yay, birthdays are always an excuse for a little retail therapy.

Fed up with alternator bearings grinding and a seeming lack of replacements (odd sizes and numbers going on) so I treated myself to one of the 120 amp jobbies from the Alternator and Starter Motor people. Great to deal with, next day delivery - bang on. £140 all in. Now just need to sort my split charger after it took a beating when I slammed a bank. Duh.

Youcher.

C

120 amp.jpg

did you know you'll either have to modify the bracket you have or change it for a 120amp one to make it fit? A bit of grinding sorts it or you might know someone with a proper one :icon-wink:

All been done through science this one Jon. I photographed it with measurements and they matched it. Even told me I had the wrong sized pulley on the one I had! It should fit straight in. Are you telling me that you have a genuine 80 series 120 amp dynamo? Why don't ai just come and look through your garage Jon, make a pile on the drive and you tell me how much.

Oh, hang on, we kinda did that and now I can't move in my garage.

Chris

The 120 amp is a slightly bigger casing than the 80 amp and has a different top bracket that the tension adjuster goes on. They look very nearly the same but they aren't. The shape of the 80 amp bracket won't quite clear the alternator casing and the slot won't line up with the adjuster clamp bolt. Nothing a grinder can't fix but there is a proper bracket for the 120 amp.

Ahh, a proper bracket. Thought you meant a proper alternator. Well I have to give it a try Jon tomorrow. I had a recon alternator on there and I rather think that it was built with a larger casing. And it fitted. I specifically had to measure the girth for them and they said that this was the same. Haven't had chance to play, but now I am forewarned I will NOT smack it with a hammer.

Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes they told me mine was a straight swap but it wasn't. Mine works fine unless it's cold out :doh:

Mine fitted with a bit of fettling with a file, I thought a grinder might be a bit too drastic. :think:

Doesn't work when it's cold? Ahh, I bet you haven't fitted the Toyota winter spec belts Jon, that's why. Not many people know about those. They're hollow and filled with a 90 / 10 mixture of glycol and Baboon's fanny batter.

C

Back