Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Story of Snow White - LC80 Build Thread..!

Caron De Kock

I am hoping this thread will this be a fairy tale rather than another Grimm story or have I bitten off more of the apple I can chew :whistle:..! One thing’s for sure, this will be a long journey….:think:!

My previous experience of car knowledge and maintenance could be narrowed down to refilling the windscreen washer wiper thingy, fuelling my little Toyota IQ, checking the oil and kicking the tyres to see if they needed any air ! Anything else would be a mission impossible to me :shock: and I would flutter my eyelashes and hope for the best.:eusa-shhh:.! I even have my own black trousers with multi pockets and a Scruffs polo to wear. :dance:

So here goes or should I say - Once Upon A Time..!

Oooo cant wait. Pictures, we want lots of pictures, of you covered in grease.... mmmm. oh hang on wrong forum :whistle:

Tony!! Go to your room immediately!

Chris

(I'll post you December from the 1989 Snap-On calendar in the morning)

Sorry folks, hit the jet lag wall and stumbled into bed, I don't even remember closing my eyes..!:sleeping-sleep:

@TonyP - Well I have to say it was the feeling of the warm oil when I carried out the oil filter and oil change on Sundance that got me going ..! :shhh::shh::shh:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@TonyP - Well I have to say it was the feeling of the warm oil when I carried out the oil filter and oil change on Sundance that got me going ..! :shhh::shh::shh:

See I knew you had a sense of humour :icon-cool:.

[FONT=&amp]I had the pleasure of driving Snow White from up North (that’s way past the M25 to me) to West Sussex and realised I had fallen in love with her [/FONT]:romance-heartbeati::romance-heartbeati::romance-heartbeati:[FONT=&amp]. I think it was also the pleasure of not having to listen to the extra “live interactive SatNav” situated in the passenger seat as well [/FONT]:laughing-rolling:[FONT=&amp]. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]21 March 2013
First on the list was to fix the steering column height adjuster as it was not working and the steering column was fixed in its highest position ..! When taking it apart we found:-

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]It was welded shut in its highest position – a hack saw blade was used to saw through the weld to release the mechanism which worked.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
p1491618720-5.jpg

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Whilst in the area cleaning dust and thick dirt away I found lunch:-
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]An old mouldy old chip ..! So that was lunch sorted...! [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
p1491626434-5.jpg
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
Then the plastic wood effect trim around the clocks were not put back properly, so I had the pleasure of taking apart the whole drivers side dash and then attempting to put it back together properly. Success..![/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
p1491623568-5.jpg

p1491624894-5.jpg

p1491623544-5.jpg

I gave the area a good going over with the Dyson and cleaning fluids - not that I am OCD (unlike Marius) but... boy was it grimy...! :shock:
As we were already in the dash area, I got the center diff lock switch connector ready for the when we get one. [FONT=&amp]A rouge cable was found and some loose cables were hanging from the passenger’s side glove box, so screwdriver in hand, it was pulled apart. The rogue cable was going to a small led light on one of the blank switch covers – heaven knows what for so it was promptly removed..!

[/FONT]
p1491626506-5.jpg

[FONT=&amp]After what seemed like an eternity of trying to put back the steering column covers, I had no options but to call in reinforcements, much to my annoyance [/FONT]:problem:[FONT=&amp]. So now I can see over the steering wheel and see all the dials next time I drive..... double bonus..![/FONT]
:auto-swerve::auto-swerve:[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]So what have I learnt today:-[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&amp]It’s not as easy as it looks [/FONT]:eusa-naughty:
  2. [FONT=&amp]I enjoyed getting low down and dirty [/FONT]:icon-surprised:
  3. [FONT=&amp]There are certain positions to lie under Snow White when taking out bolts not to get c**p in your eyes, I found out way too late [/FONT][FONT=&amp]![/FONT] :(
  4. [FONT=&amp]I am very slow at undoing nuts and bolts - I need to improve my screwing speed [/FONT]:laughing-rolling:

[FONT=&amp] I have found that out or should I say, I have been told that there is a lot more work ahead.. [/FONT]:wtf::shock:

Your braver than me if i found a loose wire and i didn't know what it was for i'd tape it down safe just in case i found out later i really should have kept it . Perhaps thats why i can't get in my shed , among other things theres 4 washing machine motors , 3 pair of wellys with holes in , 3 bags of (solid) cement and god only knows what else all of which might come in useful for something one day :doh:

Last edited:
among other things theres 4 washing machine motors , 3 pair of wellys with holes in , 3 bags of (solid) cement and god only knows what else all of which might come in useful for something one day :doh:
Eh! Shayne, you bin in my shed again?

Last edited:
Nice start Caron. Looking forward to how this thread develops.

One question, did you eat the chip? :puke-front:

Your braver than me if i found a loose wire and i didn't know what it was for i'd tape it down safe just in case i found out later i really should have kept it . Perhaps thats why i can't get in my shed , among other things theres 4 washing machine motors , 3 pair of wellys with holes in , 3 bags of (solid) cement and god only knows what else all of which might come in useful for something one day :doh:

A proper shed should have at least 2 out of those 3 items listed above.

Last edited:

I did think of that but when I found both ends of the wire and there was nothing attached to it, I thought why not :wtf:- besides, I didn't want it to make an annoying rattling sound when on the road :icon-mad. Unfortunatley we don't have a shed or garage, my front room, kitchen and spare bedroom became the unofficial landcruiser storing room...! Sundance's long range fuel tank made a great coffee table :icon-rolleyes: - though I did through a hissy fit when I found the solar panels in our bedroom :wtf:...!

Nice start Caron. Looking forward to how this thread develops.

One question, did you eat the chip? :puke-front:

Thanks Tony - I did contemplate eating the chip but decided to wait to see what else I found in Snow White and make a meal of it..:dance:

@Bat21 - Well, whilst working on Snow White my homemade bread was being made in the bread machine - does that count?? :icon-wink:

@Clivehorridge - Will try to keep up, however made some basic mistakes like not saving word document with next installement on and found this morning my computer automatically updated last night so lost everything..:icon-surprised::icon-redface::icon-cry:.! I think I will get plenty of practice to improve my screwing art on this project..:eusa-whistle:!

Great thread Caron. :clap:

Looking forward to more updates. :thumbup:

Back