Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 rear winch bumper build

Cheers Carl. Of course all of that will be hidden once the outer skin goes on.

Chris

Sure, but still pondering whether to have a little cat flap on there to access the winch. Not sure how the outer skin will be attached to the inner as yet and getting to the winch bolts etc will be very difficult with the skin on. The hole behind the fairlead is oversized so I can get my hand in but bolting the fair lead back on afterwards is going to be tricky.

I figure that the whole thing assembled on the ground would need two chinooks to lift it into place!

Designed as I go along.

Chris

You could just weld those side wings you already made onto the ends of that and call it done :)

Chris said:
Sure, but still pondering whether to have a little cat flap on there to access the winch. Not sure how the outer skin will be attached to the inner as yet and getting to the winch bolts etc will be very difficult with the skin on. The hole behind the fairlead is oversized so I can get my hand in but bolting the fair lead back on afterwards is going to be tricky.

I figure that the whole thing assembled on the ground would need two chinooks to lift it into place!

Designed as I go along.

Chris

i'm sure a man of your expertise will work something out .... and judging by your previous threads you are more than capable of doing a fine and dandy job :thumbup:

Carl

I know Jon, they may yet be used under the skin. Just sitting here cogitating and suddenly very excited at the thought of plasma. It opens up so many possibilities. OK things that I could do manually but would take so long and so much effort. I think I shall let a 2" receiver tube into the x member in the middle of the 4 bolt holes then make a plate that will go around the tube so that the whole thing can be bolted in and removed rather than simply welding it in. This will allow the outer skin to remain separate. But at the same time the bolt on flange will hold the two together. As will the 20 mm eye-bolts in the ends of the chassis rails. Still got air, electrics and of course the wheel carrier to sort out. Ideas for that lot are forming.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do you still need another skin with that Chris? When's the Plasma due? :)

Yes, the skin is all made and part fitted. I fancy a nice tidy job Jon. No I know it won't match the rest of the truck :lol: :roll: but that's no excuse for not finishing it off properly.

Plasma due hopefully this week. At MM VAT free day tomorrow, new pedestal drill and compressor.

I know that you have one, not sure how much you use it, but you also have a bandsaw and cut off. For me, just about everything has to be cut with an angle grinder which takes time and is filthy. I'm permanently covered in dust, so's the garage and the inside of my nose. To see the plasma slice through 5mm solid yesterday was fantastic. Hardly any mess and quicker than I could change the disc in my grinder.

It will allow me to get far more fancy and go around corners too.

Chris

I don't use my plasma cutter very often but when I do it's very useful. You'll have to dream up some more projects to use yours on :lol:

Looking great Chris.. Very tidy. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Well, it's the weekend. Come on you didn't think I'd have my feet up did you? Been a long but precise day today. Happy to report millimetre perfection today. Not like my usual [strike:2rhyelnv]botch[/strike:2rhyelnv] rush jobs.

Got a 20mm eye bolt into the cross member. This will be for storing the hook and attaching the line for double pulls. Cut the 'ole for the rope in the outer bumper. The outer bumper btw will NOT be attached to the cross member on a permanent basis but will be bolted on so that it can be easily removed.

P1000773.jpg

Inside there is another hawse fairlead to ensure good feeding of the rope across the gap. The end fences where the rear quarter sections will go, will be supported from the chassis rails too so that tank-slappers into the banks won't bend the outer sections. Welding looks a bit pigeon-doo on this shot. Odd because it's not. Something going on with the flash and rust maybe. Anyway - those winch supports are megga welded in on the inside, top bottom and anywhere else I could get a bead. That winch is not dropping off in the middle lane of the M1 I can assure you.

P1000775.jpg

Here's first rough bend and weld of the corner sections. Tomorrow the bottom will get cut in a dihedral and folded round to form the end. Then I shall set about making the quarters. There will be some serious channel inside there.

P1000778.jpg

P1000779.jpg

More tomorrow I'm sure. Unless a leg falls off.

Chris

looking good! :clap:

so the big question.....................did you use the new plasma cutter? :lol: :twisted:

Errm, I did - but if I said like a 6 year old with a blindfold and a chainsaw would that paint a picture?????

Chris

:lol: wonderful way with words.

there a great tool, but i dont think there the most precise. i try to use a straight edge where ever possible. usually a piece of scrap timber which ends up smoking after a few cuts. obviously no good for curves.

they are magical though the way they can burn there way through thick metal like that. :twisted:

i managed to totally obliterate the end on the one at work on thursday, tryying to cut galvanised metal with it. the galv spat back and melted the tip on the torch. :thumbdown:

looking good Chris. You'll get the hang of the plasma :thumbup:

Been looking forward to see the progress mate.

Very good indeed :thumbup:

Karl

Thanks chaps. Jon when you clear your garage out now that you're going back to normal motoring, don't forget to let me have that old lathe of yours. :lol: :lol:

Chris

Back