Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series transfer oil seals

Thanks Andrew. Sounds as though the only fly in the ointment is the pesky snap rings. Hopefully they won't give me too much grief. I could do with a nice easy one for a change.

C

:thumbup: That was my experience - I invented new swear words dealing with the snap rings. I wouldn't even consider the job again without the proper pliers. I think you'll be fine - there's nothing else too tricky there.

Are you changing the bearing BTW or leaving the original one?

Cheers,

No, leaving the bearing in there. No real reason to change it. If it's hooky then I'll just stick the spare unit on and build this up as required. I'll inspect it of course. Mt T can get me on in a couple of days if needs be. I'll have to pay his prices of course.

Chris

I found it slightly more difficult to hammer out the shaft than Andrew did first time I did this job so I opted for a press the second time round and it came out rather easily. I left the pump in place. Sorry about the slow reply, haven't had much time to get on here recently.

For those of you planning a rear diff input seal change at any point, it seems that the part 90311-38035 has been updated to 90311-38047. I cross referenced this in Toyo and it shows the front diff and rear diff seals are the same - so both are updated. It looks a very good seal, twin lipped with raised dust collar. I will post a pic of the one that comes out. Bit of a heart stopping moment when I read the serial numbers. But it does check out.

Chris

IMGP4415.jpg

That looks great, can u upload pics of the work in progress so I can follow it. Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nope, not really Steve. One pair of hands, lying on my back, covered in oil and one very expensive camera!

I'll do a bullet point list though if there are any tricky points.

Depending on when I do the transfer box seal, I might be able to find a volunteer to stand about and take some of that. I don't think the rear diff seal is a techy one anyway.

Chris

Right, I'm back. It took me 30 mins to do the rear seal.
Prop off (both ends) pinion nut un-staked with small pointed chisel. Wasted 5 mins trying to undo pinion nut. Hooked up impact wrench to on-board air system and it was of in about 3 seconds.

Thrust washer off, seal ripped out with Machine Mart seal puller. Allowed surplus oil to run all over the drive. Actually did get some into a tray which I'll tip on the drive later.

New seal driven in with the outer rave of a Toyota Corolla wheel bearing - millimetre perfect diameter!

Nut back on tightened with breaker bar to original staking. I don't think I could have gone tighter if I had tried. Not without the impact wrench.

Seems fine.

Chris

OK, it took me around 2 hours with some dicking around here and there to get the rear transfer extension off and disassembled. No mysteries at all. The only pain is those snap rings!!!!! I'd say all in, 2 1/2 to strip and clean including as I said, getting it off the vehicle.

I have photographed it all and will start a new thread so it can become a sticky.

Chris

As always Chris, you impress with your breakneck speed. You've definatley earned your pint tonight :thumbup:
Chris said:
Actually did get some into a tray which I'll tip on the drive later.

Chris
:roll: That poor drive!!!

Keep up the good work.

Oh man, the drive is completely fnurked. It's coming up in sheets.

The CD extension seal replacement really isn't a big job. It's completely logical but the snap rings are a tw@t. The new snap ring pliers worked on the middle ring no problem, but the first ring was a battle with two screwdrivers, a piece of shaped metal and a ground down woodscrew. The last clip was accessible, but the pliers just kept slipping off. £25 and frankly rubbish in my view - but then they are American. If they'd had them made in China they'd have been fine. American tools are like their rifles. Total 5h1t. And their cars too.

I had to use every trick in the book to get the little suckers out. Mention shims, micrometers etc and I pass out. But this job is a straight forward strip and rebuild. Dead easy from a technical perspective. Just a fiddle in two places.

Chris

Back