Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARB twin compressors - DA4985 vs CKMTA12

Rosy

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Evening all, so I've been searching the web for the best price on ARB dual compressor and have found two model numbers for what look like the exact same unit.

The specs and items included with the kit look identical to me but the DA4985 is significantly cheaper (reference links below).

Does anyone know what the difference between these two might be?

Cheers,
Rosy

Well I have to say that I can't spot the difference either. Both 12v. What does the official ARB site say?

I couldn't find a single reference to the DA4985 on ARBs website or product catalogue.... but punch that model number into google and there are plenty of UK webstore results at comparatively bargain prices.

Thought I'd ask here before buying the cheaper one and ending up with just an empty shell or a box full of spare parts.

Looks to me that the DA numbered ones are supplied by Britpart as DA does not appear to be an ARB part number. I would say they are the same unit tbh

Looks to me that the DA numbered ones are supplied by Britpart as DA does not appear to be an ARB part number. I would say they are the same unit tbh

I think youre right! So I looked up britpart and they are an ARB stockist. Their website shows the full range of ARB products but with their own DA references. To me that means they are the same unit.

Interesting life lesson there, if you want to find the cheapest products on the market, pretend you own a lame rover.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Will you be mounting this under the bonnet Rosy? Just a word of warning for anyone who does. This isn't just my experience btw. There are two motors and they've controlled by two relays. For some reason, the relays are not very weather proof. It's a great if not expensive compressor and performance is really up there but I've had two occasions now where one of the relays has packed up. They're standard jobbies nothing special. If it was me doing this over again, I'd possibly pull them and put the best ones in I could find or at the very least smother the connections on protection of some kind. it's really easy to do on the bench by much harder when installed. I can't tell you if it's the relay or the connections or the pins, but after exposure to heat, mud and water I've had two go down. You still get air of course but from one bank only and that defeats the purpose. At least chuck in a couple of spare relays into your kit box.

Thanks for the advice Chris, I intend to mount the compressor inside the cabin, possibly under the drivers seat or in one of the rear quarters which is dead space at them moment.

Buy a couple of foot pumps Rosy, save hundreds £ :laughing-rolling:

I think youre right! So I looked up britpart and they are an ARB stockist. Their website shows the full range of ARB products but with their own DA references. To me that means they are the same unit.

Interesting life lesson there, if you want to find the cheapest products on the market, pretend you own a lame rover.

Britpart put their own numbers on most things

Britpart put their own numbers on most things

Looks that way, I am surprised at the price difference though.

The RRP on Arbil is £413 and the cheapest CMK I could find was £358 from flatdog. Thats still £40 more expensive than the DA version I just bought from Island 4x4.

And then there are the other web-stores selling the CMK for well above RRP, an eye watering £476 in my original post.

So thanks David, you helped me save a few pennies! :orcs-cheers:

I've mounted that in the boot between the wheel well and boot lining, then I've run a line down to a 15 litre tank mounted underneath the vehicle with a pressure sensing relay and a blow off value, been looking for some weather proof air / hydraulic fittings so I can mount some airlines to the front and rear bumper.

If you pay that amount of money make sure it is a genuine ARB compressor.
The chinese supplier for ARB also sell them under their own brand name ( HF gears).
I have the chinese one, it cost me 180 USD + shipping to Europe, I have put it next to a genuine ARB and it is 100% the same.

That is interesting, just googled HF air compressors and you're right, they look identical, right down to the HF branded carling switch!

That is interesting, just googled HF air compressors and you're right, they look identical, right down to the HF branded carling switch!
I would just throw the supplied switch in the bin, the supplied switches are fake carling copy's tough... The contact tend to burn out quick on those.

Mine's been fine for several years. No issues at all with it. It doesn't actually match my other Carling switches and annoyingly flicks the opposite way for on and off. But it works just fine.

Back