Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

arduino & touchslide

Agree with you 100% the needle on my lc is always just above the bottom mark.

Finally got round to assembling the EGT probe interface board which gets me an internal temperature reading as well as EGT because of the way it works :icon-cool: need to put it in a mini project box now.

IMAG1385.jpg

Added the code for it so that's all working, just need to drill and tap the exhaust manifold and get the probe installed.

Still interested in fitting one of these babies...

Would it be possible to store/output data from this onto say an SD card? - so that you can record the performance/temperatures of the rig over a long trip (for example) so that you could compare different configurations or kit and understand the improvements or even notice when things are deteriorating etc...

Having one of these installed is cool. Being able to datalog and run diagnostics over a period of time = cooler IMO...

Anyway very inspirational - keep it coming...

I've looked at the various data loggers a few times and yes that would be pretty easy to add. I'm going to add min/max to the sensors as well. I need to add a tacho pulse as well I think so it can tell when the engine is running. At the moment oil pressure will alarm if I sit with the ignition on but the engine not started.

Have ordered some more TPMS kit to experiment with but a different brand this time that uses flexible rubber valves fitted like normal ones instead of the rigid bolt in jobs on the last set.

Whenever you're ready Justin just let me know :icon-cool:

Well my touch slide and arduino finally arrived so let's see if I can get this thing programed

Well thanks to John and his amazing computer skills I have my arduino and touch slide program. There were a couple of little teething problems but it's all sorted now.

What Jon has done so far is quite amazing and I can weight to get my interface board from him.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1st board I've made for someone else, this is a new improved rev 3 layout with a few more protection components to make it a bit harder to let the magic smoke out :whistle: This one also adds pre & post intercooler temp and AFR inputs.

IMAG1439.jpg

now to populate it.

populated and power applied for a basic smoke test :shifty: lots of wires to connect now

IMAG1443.jpg

All the wires connected ready for testing, quite a bit of work in getting the main board to this stage but it's done.
IMAG1448.jpg

Still need to make the clock, EGT and screen daughter boards and do a lot of testing before it goes to Lee.

Looking good jon.

Just thinking outside the box here Jon as I have seen a few use a nexus 7 tablet for an in car computer/radio/mp3 player. Now would it be possible to connect the arduino to one of these through the usb type b port on the arduino to the micro usb on the nexus and have it work like the touchslide instead of using the touchslide or would it be to complicated. if not the nexus would it work with another tablet.

Cheers lee

I could have gone that route Lee but I wanted a dedicated display, always there, like you would have if you fitted gauges rather than having to have a smart device plugged in or paired. Generally the smart devices are only any good for displaying one app at a time anyway, so you'd end up with either mapping or monitoring but not both at the same time.

P.S. Field tested it today and still no smoke escaping :lol:

Been experimenting with adding an RPM input which is working on the bench so I will try and hook that up in my 80 this weekend. RPM will be useful for the oil pressure monitoring, so it doesn't alarm when the engine isn't running :doh: Will also be useful data when I add logging, so it will be able to log ambient temperature, road speed, RPM, oil pressure, coolant temperature, ATF temperature, boost, pre intercooler temperature, post intercooler temperature, EGT and AFR for those of us interested in plotting what is going on with those values when we tweak things :icon-cool:

Thinking about logging those values, especially the more performance orientated ones, has made me wonder about the possibility of experimenting with adding some degree of fueling control via solenoid intervention in the injection pump boost compensator boost/vacuum hoses(s) :shifty: The OEM 1HD-FT EGR ECU performs altitude compensation via a solenoid on one of the boost compensator pipes. That suggests to me that solenoid might be suitable to be re-used and controlled by the Arduino to tweak the fueling somewhat, probably based on monitoring the AFR. Something to think about later in the year maybe :think:

And I'll need it on my 120, especially when I chip it and add the uprated intercooler from AliSport ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Been experimenting with the display styles a bit with needing to fit extra information in. Still some way to go but with most of the physical functionality sorted I can spend a bit of time tarting the display up. Using different sizes and colours seems to be working and should make it easier to pick out the more important information at a glance? Only the speed and values down the right have been tinkered with so far.

IMAG1490.jpg

Basic kit, just plug it into an Arduino Mega 256, plug the touchslide screen into the other circuit board and connect power. There's a 50cm screen extension lead so the screen can be some distance from the main board.
IMAG1529.jpg

The clock and EGT are separate extra interfaces that plug in to the main board if needed. That's how logging and TPMS will be done when I get that far.
IMAG1530.jpg

Normal kit would be short tails like on the left but Lee has gone for 2.5 meter tails to make his life easier.
IMAG1531.jpg

and lots of sensors :icon-cool:
IMAG1532.jpg

Back