Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Biggest tyres you can fit to a 90 without a lift kit .

Quote sae70 "The height of a tyre is very much effected by the width of a rim. On my Vitara's I ran with 31" Cooper STT's but because I'd stretched them onto a 10" wide rim they stood only 29.5" tall. There's an optimum width rim for each tyre manufactured and I guess 7" is the one for my 255/85/16 tyres"

So with my 1 inch wider wheel the height should be around an inch less than yours . This equals a half inch less to push against the light cluster or rub on the rear bumper and both of these problems did not prevent you from using the door normally . Added to this my offset will cause the tyre to meet both points further out than yours which may help as both bumper and lights curve away from the door . Might get away with it me thinks .

Theory is all well and good i suppose i need to get out and try it in reality but its good to discuss things as it helps others wanting to modify , i spent ages trying to find out exactly how big i could go without a lift and eventually gave up looking for a definite answer . When i bought wheels and tyres i was dreading not being able to fit them unless i spent hundreds more on a lift .

Full lock gets rubbing against the chassis but the only test i've been able to do under compression is drive each wheel up onto a ramp of bricks . As i see it rubbing is not an issue if it's only going to happen in extreme circumstances at crawling pace . Rubber is an amazing thing - it bends and bounces back to shape lol .

Its just occurred to me that i could stop the tyre rubbing on the chassis if i just adjust whatever normally stops the steering at full lock . My turning circle is slightly reduced anyway so reducing full lock just means i dont have to guess when to stop turning to prevent the noise of tread drumming on metal . Does anyone know if this is a spanner job or is the steering limited by a bump stop ?

Does anyone know why i cant play copy CD's in my truck ? is there a cure ?

That said i also have a cassette player in the truck and everyone knows they were a million times better than CD , just need to get up in the loft and pray my tapes weren't all dumped long ago .

If its the original CD player then its probably too old to play copy CD's. I would not have thought that there would be a fix its simply a case that the technology isn't there. The only solution I can think of is a new head unit.

Closest i can get tyre to trimmed seam
Wheels006_zps7d1af62b.jpg

Rubbing on chassis
Wheels015_zpsb7b95923.jpg

Points A and B are as best as i can tell what might limit the steering when oem wheels and tyres are installed
Steeringlock001_zpsc388ee08.jpg

Point A shows a thread so i assume it can be adjusted and point B is just a steel bump stop . I'm wondering if i cure the rubbing by adjusting A and putting a bit of spot weld on B . Would i need to do both ? . Your thoughts on this would be appreciated .

Also while looking at the pics any comments on the possibilty of fitting 20mm wheel spacers would be appreciated .

Point A is the toe in adjustment for front wheel alignment. With the 90 having ifs its unlikely there is an external stop for the steering. Its most likely limited by the travel on the rack.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks OG i'm shayne . helen07 is the mrs every time i tried to register it failed so helen did it for me . But enoughs enough i finally got registered in my own name but can't post pics until i've posted a bunch of times so here goes .

Wonder if i'll start getting spam emails now because when my mrs signed up (with her email address) and i told everyone my name was actually shayne she's been having emails every day saying hi shayne would you like a pay day loan !?!

Sounds like "A Boy Named Sue" :icon-biggrin:

Gra.

I think point B works as external stop on steering on my truck. Am I wrong about that? How does it work for everybody else?

Another major mod finished lol
Sparetyre002_zps1bddd874.jpg

Touches the light but only by maybe 1mm and its a brand new tyre , a used tyre won't touch .
Sparetyre004_zpsf5545c2f.jpg

Clears the bumper no bother , maybe because my hinge pins are still tight ?
Sparetyre003_zps260bbc05.jpg

How i did it
Sparetyre001_zps4da3be82.jpg

Engineering worthy of NASA i reckon :whistle:

Another major mod finished lol

How i did it
Sparetyre001_zps4da3be82.jpg

Engineering worthy of NASA i reckon :whistle:

Very cool :icon-cool: - but to really complete that job you need some duck tape to hold those spacers on! :lol:

Very cool :icon-cool: - but to really complete that job you need some duck tape to hold those spacers on! :lol:
I ran out coz i used it all to hold the new bolt in place so i could fit the wheel cover back on .

Does anyone know why i cant play copy CD's in my truck ? is there a cure ?

That said i also have a cassette player in the truck and everyone knows they were a million times better than CD , just need to get up in the loft and pray my tapes weren't all dumped long ago .

I know it's a thread from the dead so sorry about that. Just thought I would reply in case it helps someone. With older CD players the best chance of getting a CDR to work is normally to record in Disc At Once mode and immediately close the session which is more likely to be understood by older players and also record at as low a speed as possible which makes the data more easily read by less sensitive lasers.
I have not been able to test this on the Sony unit from my 90 as only the radio actually worked on it but I have found this method worked in many cases of old players in the past as well as on old cdroms for computers.

Back