Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake pads

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Any recommendations for brake pads?

I know Chris gives good reports on the Milner ones. Any other to think about?

I've gone through front pads in just over 3k and the rears are quite worn too. From brake international.

I'm not fussed about getting 20k out of a set but a good bite is a must! The ones currently fitted do suffer with fade easily.

Calipers are all good, proportioning valve is adjusted, they've just worn out.

I know running 35's makes the brakes work harder, would be nice not to fade them so easily.

I've fitted Hawk LTS to the 100, for those moments when I forget I'm not in a sports car. :lol:

Solid bite, good resistance to fade, about £60 an axle.

I am doing my CVs today so have to take the calipers off. I have new discs on but old pads and they really need changing. If Milners had been open today, I would have gone and got a set . I have just put a set of genuine on the other 80 and they don't feel nearly as good.

EBC were OK but nothing special and they didn't last that long.

I'll get a price on Toyota ones otherwise give the Milner ones a try.
Even if I only get 3k again I'm not fussed as long as don't fade easily. Worked the brakes really hard over the last week and fade was becoming an issue!

With Standard discs I'm with Karl and would go genuine. On the 80 I had 16 years I got through a few sets of pads and only once didnt use genuine, took an age to bed in got thrown out and replaced. There may be some good pads around these days though but I don't know myself.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just a note, the Cruiser when I sold it still had the original discs on, so genuine pads look after the discs.

Andy

Toyota pads are best on performance and price as far as road use. I don't hang about so the brakes get used hard and I've never had fade. All discs are original at 140k although I did have to reface the rears a few years ago. I'll check my records tomorrow to see how long the pads lasted.

EBC Green on at the moment and at the end of their life after more than 18000 miles! EBC now offer Orange for 4x4s, not tried them yet. I have a set of Milner Ceramics on Chris's recommendation, they will go in soon.

Toyota pads are best on performance and price as far as road use

Sorry Frank, this is based on your experience against which other pads?

I remember I was quite disappointed with Milners pads cca 5 years ago, they wore out in few kkm on my 95 series LandCruiser. Used originals since then (muchos ) but before current extended trip bought two pairs of Milners pads and they performed well. The second set is now, after cca 40 kkm, half warn. But this was 80% piste driving where you don't use brakes as much as in the city etc.

Their old pads were dreadful. And £9 IIRC.

Gary these are my records:-

F 50146 14 nov 2000

R 63900 ? jan 2002

F 85631 24 aug 2004

F 112437 9 june 2008
R 112437 9 june 2008

F 139601 8 feb 2014

Chris I don't have experience of other pads. Is that relevant?

Relevant Frank? On a thread about which pads are best? You posted that OEM were the best, but not compared to anything? :eusa-whistle:

The thread is titled "brake pads". That's what I wrote about. If anyone can show better performance than the above figures then my statement is wrong. The word best means compared WITH anything else.

I find Toyota Genuine pads best, they last the longest out of the pads I've used (more than 20,000 miles) and have a good bite. I do have grooved Discs so I don't know if this helps. I've used Mintex, Milner, EBC, blue print and red stuff all before and still come back to Toyota. Only downside is the price. If it wasn't Toyota I would use the Mintex stuff.

Thats good mileage out of them, I'm used to not getting loads of miles out of brakes on my 4x4's but it's the fade, lack of engine braking doesn't help. Long twisty descents were getting interesting.

Now Beau that is what I'd call useful comparison information
If only I could find an old pair with asbestos in them. Pads have never been the same since

My experience of genuine pads is that they aren't particularly good and not meritorious of the price

I guess on a standard truck the difference isn't as noticeable but when you start adding weight and upping the tyre size it becomes an issue

Going to be a difference with manual v auto too as you say Gary

I have had 3 sets of Mintex pads fall apart on me. The pad material literally pulled off the steel backing. I hadn't been roasting the brakes, I hadn't been breaking hard and all incidents happened when the pads reached about half worn. The first set was on a transit, the second was my Hilux and the last set was on my 80 so not all the same pad type. I'm not the only person who has experienced this and I'm sure I wont be the last. When the 80 pad came apart it must have been shortly after I had set off for work. I was going along a main road and hadn't braked for a few miles, a car pulled out in front of me, I hit the brakes and my foot went to the floor. Thankfully I wasn't going too fast and I had space on the grass verge to drive onto. I managed to stop without further incident by pumping the brakes a few times until the pressure built up but it was a close call, and yes you can smell fear!! I have never touched Mintex pads since!

I generally opt for Mr T's boxed pads and, so far, have never had an incident. I have also fitted EBC but found the pad material very soft, which is good for stopping and great for the disc but not good for the pocket!

Now Beau that is what I'd call useful comparison information
If only I could find an old pair with asbestos in them. Pads have never been the same since

My experience of genuine pads is that they aren't particularly good and not meritorious of the price

I guess on a standard truck the difference isn't as noticeable but when you start adding weight and upping the tyre size it becomes an issue

Going to be a difference with manual v auto too as you say Gary

It's also worth mentioning that peoples driving style and location has a massive influence on pad life.... I live in Milton Keynes which are full of roundabouts so I find myself coasting on to them and most of the time not having to stop. My driving style is pretty smooth as well so I'm never exceptionally heavy on the breaks

Back