Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brit Pig Build

been super busy lately so not had chance to update. :oops:

got loads of pics to stick up as soon as i get a spare minute. will try and update tomorrow. :thumbup:

so i got the bolt welded into the 4th leg.

P3210001.jpg

spun a nut down each leg.

P3210002.jpg

and cut off the protruding thread.

P3210003-1.jpg

P3210004.jpg

i was trying to think of a way to mark the position of the pigs legs on his belly. its difficult to mark something thats curved and rounded both ways. :think:

so i decided to use a piece of paper.

P3210005.jpg

positioned it on the pig and marked each corner.

P3210006.jpg

i then centre punched each pen mark, before cleaning all the paint off ready for welding.

P3210007.jpg

positioned a nut central to the centre punch mark, and then tack welded it on.

P3210009.jpg

did this to another 2 legs and then decided to screw the legs on and see how the pig stands.

P3210010.jpg

P3210011.jpg

P3210012.jpg

really wasnt happy with how the pig was sitting/standing at this point. the legs were far too splayed out apart, and the door wasnt level, so kept swinging shut.

time to sit, look and think, with a cold beer of course. :cool:

P3210013.jpg

this is how far out of level it was for the door to be right. :?

P3210014.jpg

so all the legs back off and old welds removed.

P3210015.jpg

needed to move the bottoms of the legs in bit, so i welded 4 bolts to the bench top. the idea being the legs would fit over these bolts and be held in place.

P3210016.jpg

i then hung the pig above the legs and tried to position it over the legs.

P3210017.jpg

this wasnt very successful as i needed 6 pairs of hands to hold and weld everything. :thumbdown:

next idea was, to make a square that could be clamped to the top of the legs and hold the tops of the legs in position while the bottom of the legs were held on the bolts welded to the bench.

so knocked up a square out of some scrap 10mm bar.

P3220024.jpg

this idea didnt really work as i couldnt clamp the legs without the clamps jumping off. :thumbdown:

been super busy so not had chance to look at it or do any on it for a week now, but im really struggling to work out the easiest way to weld the legs on at the correct angle, and position. any ideas? :think:

Ben it is looking very good. I would say you where on the right track with the paper towel idea the only thing that may have scuppered the idea was that you did not seem to have a centre line to work off.

I may be wrong and you might have done this but I would place the body flat on the bench and get the lid sitting level and opening as you want. Then mark a centre line from top to bottom across the door and I guess right around if you can.

This will then give you something to place your paper on and get it even. To me it looks like all that went wrong was that the paper was sitting too far to the right and so that is why she is not sitting level. I would also guess you need to maybe go for a small piece of paper as this woul bring the legs in a bit and not haves them splaying out so much.

My 2c and you may have done this all in the first place.

thanks Warren, good ideas! :clap:

it will help a lot having a datum line to work from. :think:

the legs are the only tricky bit from what i can see. once there done everything else will be fairly easy. :thumbup:

I'd get one side done & then support it, then you can get the other side in to match...

Looking slick man :cool: Might have to get cutting on the gas bottle I have out back :mrgreen:

Gotta just love your enthusiasm and determination Ben...

Great post this, so keep going!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks guys! :thumbup:

will hopefully do some more on it after the weekend. :)

That's a great project Ben, almost makes me want to do something like that, I've got the time (retired) got the inclination, got the space (garage) , now all I need is the tools and more importantly the skill to do it. Well done fella :thumbup:

That does look like a interesting build. :thumbup:

I'm always amazed by you guys that not only knock these things up with odds and sods lying around with amazing skill but also manage to take pics at each and every step. :shock: :cool: :thumbup:

ben said:
...the legs are the only tricky bit from what i can see. once there done everything else will be fairly easy. :thumbup:

Would it be easier to approach this problem from the legs first - i.e. tag weld the legs to a tripod to keep the legs together and also level, then lower the "pig" onto the legs to the required height/level and then mark/weld the fitting points?

Regardless, look forward to the finished article. :cool:

As a slight aside, how are you planning to carry this in the Cruiser after use? Say you stopped for a quick brew, used the "pig" and then 30 minutes later want to pack up and move on - I'm sure the pig will stay quite hot for a considerable time and it won't be easy to move or store.
:?

thanks mate. :thumbup:

thats an interesting idea, i will have to look into that when i carry on with it. :cool:

regarding carrying it, im going to make a plywood box to stick it in, so that it doesnt rattle around while driving.

but i doubt i will be putting it away hot. i see myself using it for warmth and cooking on after a days laning. wake up in the morning and cook breakfast, then before we leave pour water all over it to put the fire out and cool the pig down.

more often than not when we wild camp its next to a lake or river.

at Lincomb, or when camping for a few days in a row, i can just let it go out and cool down naturally. :thumbup:

aren't you just the cats meow at building? :thumbup:

and here i thought it was a Brit building up a FJ55 :doh: (know as a pig here) and passed on the thread for a while now.

Crushers said:
aren't you just the cats meow at building? :thumbup:

and here i thought it was a Brit building up a FJ55 :doh: (know as a pig here) and passed on the thread for a while now.

thanks Wayne. :thumbup:

so finally some progress on this project! :dance:

first though i had to [strike:3epqu2l7]move all the crap from one area to another[/strike:3epqu2l7] tidy up.

P4040002.jpg

P4040003.jpg

so with some space on the bench i could have another go at getting the pigs legs on.

P4040004.jpg

so following on from Warrens excellent advice, i checked the bench was bang on level, which it was, and then used a spirit level to mark a plumb line through the centre of the door, and down the back.

P4040005.jpg

P4040006.jpg

this time i used a much smaller piece of paper.

P4040016.jpg

folded it in half and lined the crease up with the lines on the pig.

P4040007.jpg

P4040008.jpg

marked and centre punched the pig were the corners of the paper were.

P4040009.jpg

started tack welding the nuts on.

P4040010.jpg

all on.

P4040011.jpg

perfect! :clap:

P4040012.jpg

P4040013.jpg

P4040014.jpg

P4040015.jpg

i find ARC(stick) welding internal corners a bit hit and miss, some times they come out perfect then other times i get lots of slag and not very good welds. :angry-banghead:

might take it to work and use the MIG welder. so much easier! i think even monkeys could be trained to produce good welds with MIG! :obscene-moneypiss:

anyway, porkys legs are finally on! :animals-pig:

need to look at the hotplate and chimney next.

Oi, watch who yer calling a monkey! :whistle:

C

"i find ARC(stick) welding internal corners a bit hit and miss, some times they come out perfect then other times i get lots of slag and not very good welds"

same here, very tricky, hope to try a mig out soon to see how they are

now offence intended Chris. :oops:

MIG is a lot easier Andy. i can get perfect welds every time, and no horrible slag to chip off.

mind you you dont get that nice feeling inside, when you do a perfect ARC weld and the slag just lifts and peals off all by its self. :thumbup:

That is technically what is know as AWESOME. I love and I want one.

What is it by the way?

A V8 BBQ with rotisserie?

Chris

Back