Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying suggestions for trailer axle please

Weight Karl the less the better i've got to tow this to Romania remember .

I once contemplated a trailer utilizing stub axles and hubs as I wanted independent suspension and good ground clearance off road and on two track roads, lc fronts off 80 series would work, at the time I was contemplating using vw ones off the rear axle as the brakes etc would be a breeze.

Thanks Jon now i know i can get what i want the sensible thing to do is wait until i have a better idea of what the finished trailer will weigh . It will be carrying a permanent load so i should get units to match .

What karl means shayne is chop off the ends of a rear axle and then weld them into a tube to get away from the complete axle. Have you found the coupling link yet?

For what its worth you will be suprised what you can tow and not feel its there. I towed a old mini on a car trailer behind my 80 and you really couldn't tell it was there. I have had my defender on a twin axle trailer before and hardly slowed it down even up hills.
Stu

Yeah i understand that Stu but i would still end up with something far and away more capable than it needs to be . With regards to towing weight i'm not really bothered about it on road but i hope to end up with something that can do lanes and i don't want a tonne behind me pushing me down a long descent when all i want to do is stop . I can't find the coupling i'm afraid i've spent a week looking at everything from off road trailers to pipe bending tools and agricultural machinery and i think the coupling was chanced upon somewhere in the agriculture search ?

My plan at some point is to use the rear half of a hilux/navara/l200 and turn it into a trailer, ready set up for big wheels, hydraulic brakes and built in lights. Would something like that suit shayne.

Mick

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back