Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

converting to part time four wheel drive

I heard your more likely to crash but might save $5 a year on fuel if you don't :confusion-shrug:

To elaborate on the above comments, pushed a little hard into a bend (if you are that way inclined) you run the risk of a heavy RWD vehicle ploughing straight on especially if it is a little damp as those nice off road tyres already lack grip in damp conditions, you will find the front wheels do not want to go left or right as the rear wheels want to go straight on, in FT 4WD the front wheels help 'pull' the front around. This has been debated many times, and those who have paid out for the mod will throw out all sorts of reasons from how much fuel you will save to less wear on the CV or 'birf' joints just to justify the expense, those that are 'in the know' are not called lemmings.

Whilst it is true that Toyota did make a RWD with locking front hubs version for certain markets to allow people to keep their options open, these people often needed a large vehicle for 99% tarmac use and 4WD when trying to get up their muddy driveway once a year. But in reality do you really want to get out and lock the hubs when stuck in mud, or if you were clever engaging them before going in the mud however, if you do get through the mud you may find yourself struggling whilst trying to unlock the damn things when they have jammed getting filthy dirty whilst doing it....but hey the mud is half the fun right.....until you have to clean out the car later, and of course you can no longer go and drive on tarmac or firm surfaces until they are freed off?

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
There was a guy on here a J Loxley who ran his 96 80 series on the rear axle with the centre diff locked and the front prop removed when his front diff failed and a replacement one he bought from a breaker wasn't any better. Talking to him about how it drove he said you really had to watch it when it was wet and wasn't really nice in the dry.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did exactly the same thing on mine when trying to identify a driveline issue, Andy - removed the front prop and engaged CDL. Frankly it was bloody horrible to drive and I couldn't wait to get it back to normal. Which is a bit confusing as I've driven plenty of other 4x4s that are RWD only on the road and handle okay (including the various pick ups and my Jeep XJ for example). I can only assume that the 80 was never designed to work like this, given its overall weight etc?

I drove our 90 series Collie back from Alps with front prop removed, due to CV joint issue. It didn’t feel that much different to drive.
another thing I noted fuel consumption was identical to what it was with front prop fitted. So going to 2wd doesnt save on fuel

The 80 was available part-time in some markets.

I'll wager the 80's that came off the production line with PT4WD had other differences in addition to the transmission changes, maybe suspension & steering geometry, braking etc.

Not worth it in my opinion, I have had reason to drive mine on the rear axle with centre diff locked and front axle drive flanges, prop shaft removed so front diff was not driven.
Handling was rubbish, understeer and tramlining for example, I live in Milton Keynes so lots of round a bouts, fuel economy was not improved.
Distance travelled was Budapest in Hungary to home and about three weeks at home as a daily while I sourced parts.

I would speculate that "production line with PT4WD" might well have been a result of "the customer is always right" .

I don't know enough about cruiser history but i'm imagining an ozzie bloke saying i don't want none of this new fangled fancy permanent 4x4 stuff so just give me what has always worked for me in the past .

Does that sound feasible ?

At the risk of sounding stupid, but...My 80 has lockable front hubs, (and having not had a chance to drive it properly off road and find out) if I only lock the front hubs, will I be getting drive to the front axle?

In short, no. You would also have to select 4wd with the transfer lever. With 2wd selected, unlocked front hubs prevent the front half of the transmission, the front diff and front prop, from being "driven" by the front wheels, so saving fuel and wear and tear on the front drive components, in theory at least but in practise the benefits are negligible. You could argue that leaving the front hubs locked means you don't have to get out and lock them manually when 4wd is needed (assuming they're not the auto locking type) but then what's the point of that?

Will have a proper play about with it when I am home and get to understand it. Thanks Towpack though!

At the risk of sounding stupid, but...My 80 has lockable front hubs, (and having not had a chance to drive it properly off road and find out) if I only lock the front hubs, will I be getting drive to the front axle?

As per @Towpacks post and besides, there is nothing stupid asking if it saves making an expensive mistake.

Regards

Dave

Yes that is my feeling, would rather ask a question first rather than damage or do something wrong!

Never driven an LC with RWD but have driven a Shogun with Mitsubishis Super Select system, tried a tank of fuel in 2H and a tank in 4H, the difference in fuel was so negligible and RWD so not fun in the wet in a big,heavy 4x4 I just left it in 4H nearly the whole time I had it, that was with just having to move a selector lever to change, yet alone having to lock hubs.

the ol' cruiser does best with 4wd. although there are fuel savings to be had, they are not very remarkable and negligeable if you only do the manual locking hubs. fuel save greater when you attack the transfer case as well, but that comes at a much great cost too and will most likely negate, again, the fuel savings. a Landcruiser is not a fast vehicle not meant to be, but indeed in tricky conditions the 4WD will actually help you around a corner where otherwise you might not have gone around ;-)

During the latest bit of snow we had I had a try out engaging 4WD with the button on the dash (mine is a manual). With the front hubs engaged I did then have 4WD. In the snow and ice it was fine to drive. On tarmac it didnt like to turn tight corners at carpark speeds.
I'm guessing that on mine when 4WD is engaged its locking the transfer box 50/50 front and rear? Rather than engaging the front axle with some sort of differential front to rear.

Back