Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel MOT emission test

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
anyone know much about MOT emission tests ?

My Yaris failed on CO being too high on idle test a couple weeks back, they suggested replacing catalytic converters
So I fitted second hand cats, and second hand MAF sensor as thought the
The readings where too high with techstream, but same with another MAF sensor

So today I go retest done at a different garage, and it passed on emissions
I got a print this time, and only test was smoke test, nothing about CO readings !!!!

Confused why it failed on CO the first garage and second one didn't even seem to check them!!!

Well you know where to go next time then Andy.

A good blast up the motorway usually sorts emissions.

Well you know where to go next time then Andy.

A good blast up the motorway usually sorts emissions.

Nearest motorway is 2.5hours drive :), but rather than drive down the hill 1.5 miles to garage I took the car for a 20 min thrash on back roads and up some steep hills

I used to almost drain the tank then pour about a 1/4 can of Wynns Eco Diesel in and go for a thrash to get it nice and hot. Just do this at least a month before the test to give the cr@p a chance to escape. If it’s been pootled about a good thrashing and the above should help but they really need driving hard at least once a week to remain healthy IMO.

CO test, isn’t that for petrol cars?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tbh in the past on auto pilot I've gone to do a diesel test on a petrol :oops: realised when revved it :lol:

That's why I was asking, wondering if they had done petrol test on a diesel
It had also failed on corroded brake pipes on 1st test
I replaced them

But miffed if I ihave wasted time and money replacing the 2x cats when they were fine... good thing I didn't get new one so for £1200
Second hand cost £90 and £110
I can return one of them and sell another for scrap

Diesel 80’s will be either Euro 1 or 2. A 2008 Yaris will be Euro 4 with correspondingly lower emissions targets, possibly including a particulates test.

Sounds like garage that failed it screwed up and did wrong emissions test
Will visit them on way home
Wasted a
Loads of my time and £220 on eBay second hand catalytic converters

My Yaris Diesel failed on 7.3.D4
Which is spark engine test ...

IMG_3389.PNG

I’d like to be a fly on the wall when you visit them Andy.
Remember, everything’s negotiable. They have their business and reputation to think of before you tell your story to the world. Full compensation at their rates of charge to supply and fit both units could be a good starting point for your compensation. Don’t you think?

Not something that VOSA (or whatever they're called now) would be too pleased to hear about either...........

Hit them with VOSA Andy. You want all your costs back. And another thing......your contract with them obviously implied they would do the right test so they are in breach of contract. And you want your fee back. Don't back down.

One has to wonder how many other vehicles they’ve failed for the same reason? Either that day or in general for that tester.
Aside from your compensation, which as Frank has said, stick to your guns on, do spare a thought for the tester. Maybe he was having a bad day, I’ll, wife died, we never know. Doesn’t excuse the fact that your loss should be put right, but I expect most of us at some time or another have had something that upsets the equilibrium.

One has to wonder how many other vehicles they’ve failed for the same reason? Either that day or in general for that tester.
Aside from your compensation, which as Frank has said, stick to your guns on, do spare a thought for the tester. Maybe he was having a bad day, I’ll, wife died, we never know. Doesn’t excuse the fact that your loss should be put right, but I expect most of us at some time or another have had something that upsets the equilibrium.
Thats very true rich. You never know whats going on In peoples lives, there only human. I always approach things like this on there response, if they except responsibility and sort it out, no problem, credit to them. If they start playing the blame game and have a crappy attitude, then they get both barrels..

I'm not the type of person to go in all shouty and all guns blazing
But take calm and measured approach, and ramp up if they are obnoxious

I worked out I will be £150 out of pocket, even if I manage to get refunds on some bits and sell the cats for scrap

Then you should add all that in as well. £150 sounds far too cheap. I think your first approach is to ask them to offer you a figure. If that’s below what you are expecting then you can start calculating.
Don’t forget to do the job they would be charging £60 per hour and will have an expected time for a mechanic to do the job.

Your approach sounds exactly what’s to be expected from a Landcruiser owner. :)

Back