Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

flooding

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Sure most have seen the news that we had some damp issues in york over the last few days!!

River ouse burst it's banks, the water overcame the flood defences for the river Foss and the flood barrier was opened before the electrics were totally wiped out. This caused flood water to rush residential areas and parts of the town centre.

Lots of homes devestated by water, i have friends who've lost nearly everything and have the clothes they're wearing and not much else.
The main village where I live is flooded. Most of the main routes into town have been cut off too.

Many rescue teams with boats have come to the area, locals have rallied round to help organise food, clothing etc etc and distribution of item.
The army have been brilliant and parts to repair the flood defences flown in by helicopter.

Done everything from filling sand bags at the council depot with a big help from the local mosque, delivering sand bags, food/care packages, recovering vehicles and people from vehicles and helping evacuate people to centres set up around the city.

I'm worn out as been out and about a lot over last couple of days and I've got a poorly landcruiser now too!

The community spirit has been truly amazing and everyone has helped everyone else.

Jeepers Gary, it's been horrendous and we can only watch in disbelief down here. Awful really but as you say, community spirit shines at times like this. I hope, and suspect, it will make the community stronger.

Hope the cruiser isn't too sick and can soon be sorted. Meanwhile look after yourself and remember the water is contaminated (I'm sure you don't need me to remind you).

Stay safe and thoughts with all that are going through this hell.

Last edited:
I echo all that SC has said, I was flooded once but nowhere near as severely as you lot have been up there but I can appreciate what you are going through.

Gary, take it easy and I hope it all clears out soon.

I look at the BBC news every day and I feel for the poor folks going through it because you haven't got a hope in hell of fighting it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just been browsing reports on this Gary, what a mess :shock:

Glad you've survived the worst of this, trouble is, the clear-up and repairs will go on for ages. Well done for chipping-in and I hope the truck will recover soon... :thumbup:

We're lucky where we are, the older part of the village has suffered and impassable.
There's been reports of people's houses being broken into after they evacuated which is horrible. Police were patrolling last night with help to get through waters.

I've got friends staying with us that have gone out to help even though flooded out themselves.
So many families have lost do much bit spirits are high.
What really makes everyone proud is no matter who people have helped. A council run traveller site was wiped out, they lost absolutely everything and people have rushed to help with no prejudice even the guys from the mosque down the road.

Cruiser will fix, alarm goes off when not armed, alternator isn't charging great, I suspect water in the gearbox as gear change isn't happy and there's at least 1 wheel bearing growling at me it's been pushed hard though!!

Everyone is just hoping the forecasted storm doesn't hit hard and the flood barrier gets sorted!!!

Well it's bed time for me as been out all night!

Best wishes for all you guys and gals dealing with the flooding.
i really hope you make it through ok.
cheers

There is no end in sight for the rain though, really terrible. I hope everyone stays safe. Well done on helping out.

Well the clean up is underway but a storm is looming! News is the flood barrier is fixed now, most roads are clear of water but in a state. Homes and businesses devestated but it all replaces.

Recently the main bridge into tadcaster has collapsed due to flooding and the area evacuated due to a ruptured gas main. Waiting to hear from our council contact if needed to help move people.

Still have flood warnings in place due to the rain forecasted so this eve we'll be collected sand bags and taking where needed, quite a few people who've got back into their homes to be told might flood again. Sand bags are priority to those people and we get told by the council where to take them.

Had a bit of sleep this morning and between a couple of mates and me we've sorted my wheel bearing, regressed the others and dropped the oil/water out of both diffs, gearbox and transfer box (yes I have extended breathers) comes from driving flooded roads and sitting in water (been to quite a few rural properties so deep at times). Box is still a bit upset but not as bad.

Get this. Missus just had a call from her friend round the corner. She wants to go shopping tomorrow - girl's day out. Oh, where I asked.

York. FFS.

Good on ya for helping out Gary. :thumbup:

Fingers crossed you dont get much more rain. :pray:

Its a dreadful situation to be in and I feel really sorry for the folk in Cumbria and across the country to York.

Its good to see people rallying around to help and just hope it isn't repeated in the next few days.

longer-term, I'm afraid the Insurance companies will be running a mile when renewal time comes round as it seems properties with no previous history of flooding have been hit this time. Many homes in Cumbria are un-insured as no-one will touch them.

Best wishes to all involved and I hope its all sorted out soon.

Bob.

I drowned an 80 gearbox Gary and it took a few fluid changes because only some of the fluid comes out each time but it did work normally again, hope you get yours sorted ok.

Rob... a lot of things have settled down around the city now, people are cleaning their homes and trying get sorted with insurance etc.

There's various centres set up that ask for help sorting and delivering donations. I got asked to help at heworth church hall tomorrow but I've had to decline as need to rest and we have family stuff to do.
Not everyone can get to the centres so we've been delivering cleaning stuff and food packages to them. Not long got home from doing this all eve/night. Been sorting stuff at another centre too.

Tadcaster has problems with the bridge collapse but the army and emergency services are on with it and have requested public to stay away for safety.
Selby and surrounding areas have had issues too.

Strange today driving on roads again that were either impassable or deep to drive only days ago!

Main roads into the city are fine now as are most minor roads.
Chris no reason she can't go shopping, main shopping area is fine tbh.

Been to friends houses that are a mess and the best comment was about they've been thinking about Re decorating!

Met some great people and made new friends too, people who normally wouldn't meet.

Depending on this storm (windy out now) will depend if all the hard work people have put into cleaning up etc will be undone!!

I drowned an 80 gearbox Gary and it took a few fluid changes because only some of the fluid comes out each time but it did work normally again, hope you get yours sorted ok.

Hopefully, it's still a bit unhappy with me but better then it was! Gear change isn't exactly smooth but it goes into all now and tc locks.
I'll pull the oil cooler off etc and flush it all out as well.
If no more heavy rain it only needs to move to get the bemmer off the drive and it can have a rest.

Are the auto gearbox breathers the pair of pipes that appear on the side of the gearbox dipstick?

Last edited:
I hope people around the country being battered by storm Frank are staying safe. Hope not too many homes are affected. It's a truly awful situation.

I have to say now I've had time to sit and return to normal life a bit, it's truly a humbling experience helping people out, taking simple items to people and it means so much to them.

Back