Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front hub overhaul...pending! Advice in the lead-up.

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
Hi All,

I've slowly been gathering the bits for a hob service/overhaul.
Quick question leading on from yesterday's request re CV grease.

See pic, is this enough grease for each CV? I've seen "How too's" where the dude squirts extra grease into the hub after assembly and before closing everything up. What should be the correct quantity and method?

IMG_20151210_091046.jpg

Cheers

I normally fill the cv joint up then fit the drive shaft, give it a good wiggle around before refitting to axle case then i usually squirt some more grease into the swivel housing as well. I would probably use 3 times what you have in that tube.

You will need more than that, probably best part of a litre per side

The FSM says to pack the housing 3/4 full when the CV is refitted. Get as much grease as you can into the CV joint itself before refitting.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gallon of petrol. Bucket. Shed load of rags/paper roll..

BTW never had this trouble with my Land rovers and Range Rovers. I built a "new" Range Rover using 10 year chassis and axles. I did 200,000 miles in it with no hub trouble. The hubs probably did 300,000 miles in total. I did my back in lifting a 6 cylinder iron block and could not press the clutch pedal nor use the gear lever so had to buy a car.

get a round scaffold pole or similar, then drop the stub down inside it and bang it on the ground sharply to release the circlip.. Dont forget to put the swivel seal on before you put everything back together!

Frank when you're being towed around all the time, wear is definitely less...

Only let down once with a snapped rear half shaft. 1965-1987. 7 LR's and 3 RR's. They did keep me bust though. lol.

I tried running a landrover once and ended up with three to keep one going at any time. Have to say I never broke running gear it was things like the door falling off or brake failure...

Gallon of petrol. Bucket. Shed load of rags/paper roll..
:icon-biggrin: :thumbup:

I would add, get a couple of studs/bolts with heads cut off that match the hub, wind them in and it is so much easier and less er....well........gooey as you assemble the gaskets, spindle etc.

EDIT OE axle seal is a more complex and better seal than any copy I have seen, and 3/4 full of grease IME and IMO.

regards

Dave

Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. Wanted to start with a strip today but it's raining out. I haven't built the garage yet.
Don't think I wont be knocking on your virtual doors soon as I wade into this challenge!

Cheers

Steve

Would landrover one shot swivel grease not work the swivels look very similar

The LR swivels have oil in them, not grease. The one shot grease is and additive designed to thicken the oil to stop a slow leak.

The older ones have oil my defender td5 just had grease in the swivels and when I rebuilt them I used a one shot in each side the grease in a one shot looks the same as the stuff that was leaking out of my swivel when the 4 studs holding the steering arm came loose

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 175
My '94 Disco originally had diff oil in the swivel housings but was told by the parts guy at the local dealership that the one shot sachets of moly grease was an 'upgrade' and a once only treatment which did not require changing like the oil did.

Back