Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel economy

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Just done a 400 mile round trip this morning in the 120 to drop some stuff off. 95% motorway Averaged 65 mph and 26.7 mpg (Brim before and after). Comparing the D4D Collie would have got 30.

Last time I measured it from a good (mostly motorway 70mph on the clock so probably 65 real) run of 250 miles I got 33.4mpg. I regularly get 32.x on a run and around 26 or so around town

My 80 cruise set at 60mph some 75 or 80 overtaking then some city work. Averaged 24.5mpg. Not bad considering

I thought a 120 would be more then that

I reckon on 25 general running about and if i use the 120 for work, which means driving through 2 market towns (one way early hours so traffic not an issue), where the tankful has included a decent journey it might get up to 27, if a really long run i'd be hoping for 29.
Be interesting to see if cleaning the egr and the butterfly valve falling off make any difference to economy.

Used to see better mpg on the auto 3 litre Hilux, i doubt it was lighter due to the canopy but in normal road use it was RWD only, you could tell the vehicle had an easier drivetrain with less drag because it would run away on downhills which just doesn't happen with our full time 4WD models.

To put things in perspective, our other car is a Forester XT auto with the 2.5 turbo petrol boxer lump, though obviously considerably faster and lighter than the Toyota the transmission is fuill time 4WD and retruns about the same figures as the 120, only saving grace is its running on LPG currently 80ppl which helps to offset this years VED of £615.

Find myself seriously considering spending large amounts of cash on getting something much more economical, Toyota hybrids are great but we need an estate cos 3 dogs, and every taxi driver (they can't all be wrong) is after Auris/Corolla hybrid estates so used prices are ridiculous, still looking at £16k for a 2016 with free VED.
Considered the fairly rare Auris 1.4 Diesel estate, up to and including 2016 year they're £30 VED and weill return 50+mpg, but somehow i doubt our typical motoring if i don't use it for work would keep the DPF happy, if anyone has inside knowledge that the DPF on that model can cope with local running i'd be happy to hear it.
That Dacia Jogger hybrid looks a bargain at £23k new but its an unproven vehicle, will be keeping an eye on them.

Considering retiring soon so car stock may have to change, on the other hand whilst the 120 remains reliable, even say £10k on a used car would buy an awful lot of extra Diesel for the 120.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wasn't doing 65mph, that was my average speed over 200 miles each way. If I'd been cruising at 65mph I guess it would have been better mpg.

I'm running 265/70's which corrects the speedo reading but under reads on the odometer by a few %. Actual miles used was taken from the GPS.
I'm on the same size BFG's,how many percent is the odometer under about?
Cheers

No app, just taken from the finish of each leg of the journey. If you go into the settings of the satnav you can get allsorts of journey info.

Unfortunately, the 120 series D4d is not anywhere near as efficient as it should be.
My 3.0L V6 Touareg for the same trip, is mid 40's to upper 40's

But I can't see the Touareg, currently 166,000, lasting to my Land Cruiser's 275,000 miles before I sold it on.

Back