Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fuel pump chirping.

wobbly

Garage
Hi all,

Had some great off-road trips over last 4 days, truck generally held up well.

Only unexpected issue to crop up started yesterday.

On acceleration there is a high pitched whine, its not loud, the turbo spooling up is louder, but it is definitly new.

We have tracked it down to the plate in the boot floor, under which is the fuel pump.

Anyone have any experience of whining pumps - its a kzte so electronic.

Icheers

Pete

There's no pump in the tank with the 1kz-te

If it's defo coming from that area it could be a blocked breather

There's also a air flow sensor located in the middle section after the air box, make sure this isn't unplugged as it gives a whine through the cabin.

Generally these turbo's are quite loud...

Ok, well thats good news then, was worried it was the pump!

Will have a ferret around under the plate.

Cheers

Beau, will have a check, but the noise is def from the tank end.

Pete

I'd look for a hole in the exhaust or the fuel tank breather being full of crud if it's that end

Is it possible to get to the breather?

I took off the plate in the boot floor but all I can see is an electrical connector sitting on a circular plate.

Exhaust - good idea.

I will also try it with the fuel cap removed when the noise starts again.

Cheers

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
if it goes away with the fuel cap off, then it's probably the breather, it's tucked up between the chassis cross-member for the rear suspension and the bodywork, you ought to be able to just see it by poking your head underneath and looking back towards the fuel tank (been a little while since I was under mine)

I also have a high pitched whine under load. I've recently cleaned the breather and fitted an extension, and I have a new exhaust. I can only hear it under reasonably heavy load eg up hills or towing up hills. I have no idea what it is.

I've put up a post about the breather either here or on PP.

I also have a high pitched whine under load. I've recently cleaned the breather and fitted an extension, and I have a new exhaust. I can only hear it under reasonably heavy load eg up hills or towing up hills. I have no idea what it is.

I've put up a post about the breather either here or on PP.

I have a whine in mine as well, seems to be better when the missus is not in the car though........

Me and my big mouth...........

I have just been given a car with what sounds like a similar noise. It is from behind the driver and sounds like a light whistle/ chirping, very light, but annoying. Did any of you manage to locate your little birdy?

Are you sure this isn't the fuel return regulator spring? I know you said it's coming from the rear, but noises in cars are notoriously hard to pin point. This has been the cause of much chirping on the Colorado. It's an easy fix. Stretch the spring and put it back. There'll be a thread on it somewhere.

Might not be but no one has mentioned it.

C

Thanks, but I have done that on this car about a month ago. It has some effect (noise in the passenger footwell) but this one is quieter, not so much rpm related, noticeable at 60kmh or more, hot or cold, and becoming annoying!! it is not an air leak, I will keep on looking for tweety

wind noise? I know mine has a little bit of a whistle sometimes from around/near the sunroof, but I just ignore it, might get some rubber-refresh stuff on the seals around the sunroof and see if that improves things - one of man things on the big long list that's getting ignored at the moment

Sorry, the truck hasnt been used since I got back from Portugal, still tyring the fix the diff oil seal leak.

Hopefully sorted tomorrow, so will start listening to the annoying noise then.

Pete

I FOUND IT !!!!!!!!

it was the small plastic foot rub strip located under the rear passenger door held on with 2 screws.
it was tough to find but i noticed one screw was rubbing direct to metal, the plastic tab had broken off one side. I swapped one with another car and bingo! birdy gone. not really technical or mechanical but bloody annoying all the same!

I'll check mine too, although I have so many new noises after 100's of kms of corrugations.

Last edited:
Back