Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Give me your torch recomendations

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
I need a new torch for the house/car. I was wondering if any of you have gone through the research and trial & error and have good recommendations. I want it for multiple purposes and with certain requirements as follows:

Mountable in the car (pref. on the cargo barrier)
Useable at home
Long/heavy like a Maglite (but not a maglite)
Reasonably priced £50(ish or below)
Very good illumination
Variable beam
LED
Long battery life
Robust
Water proof/resistant
Extra features such as use for engine bay work (magnet, strip beam, etc) would be good

What have you got? Even if it doesn't met my needs above but you think it's a great buy please let me know.

I've got the TT LED LEnser for work and it's great. The P17.2 is on my short list.

1_1_15.1396400525.jpg

out of interest why not a Maglite? I've got the big one mounted in the truck and its great for when a long beam is needed.

Just curious...

I've just never found them to be very good. Low output for high battery use.

Interesting. I've never actually used another torch brand but had always just assumed Maglite were the best because of the reputation of the brand.

Will be interested to see what you go for and hear what its like.

N

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
out of interest why not a Maglite? I've got the big one mounted in the truck and its great for when a long beam is needed.

Just curious...

I have a old 2x D cell Maglite which I have had for more than 20 years, it is a brilliant torch especially when compared to the competition of its time but is a I think a victim of its success.
Personally I believe Maglite rested on their laurels a little too long and got left behind by both bulb and LED tech along with the improvements in batteries and manufacturing.
With smaller lighter batteries and the improvements in manufacturing you can get more and brighter light out of a smaller lighter package.

I bought one that looks identical to this..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5W-12W-C...hash=item4d31e656c6:m:m9RDQU2EZpAnRfj8PBMn9Lw from Aldi for around £15 complete with high capacity Li Ion battery, mains and car chargers and it's a superb little torch and very well made. You can pay way over the odds for some of these fancy branded versions. I also have an old maglite, the long one with the 6 D cells and it's light output is poor by modern standards. It's size and weight can come in handy though!

Also bought one of these for use in/on the car..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-COB-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just stuck the Maglite replacement LED modules in mine. Very good really. I too like the LED Lenser range. I have errm, well, a few let's say.

I just stuck the Maglite replacement LED modules in mine. Very good really. I too like the LED Lenser range. I have errm, well, a few let's say.

:smile:

Toolstation have good offers on them.

Do you happen to have the P17.2? If so, is it good?

I've got an old 2D cell Maglite with an LED module, while its a good improvement on the old incandescent bulb its still not a patch on a properly designed LED torch. I recently got a Mini Maglite LED and its very impressive for its specs, I think Maglite down play the specs on their torches compared to some manufacturers

A mate recently picked up a handful of LED Lenser head torches from a builders merchants for half price :)

I think it was Bradfords, but not 100% sure

So much for waiting on recommendations! :smile:

I've just gone and bought this as it ticks an awful lot of boxes for me. Plus, there were a couple on eBay for only £18.99 delivered! So it was a bargain not to be missed (RRP £45).

Nebo Twyst (not the Twyst Z)

https://www.nebotools.co.uk/collections/all-flashlights/products/twyst

View attachment 135802
View attachment 135803
View attachment 135804
View attachment 135805
View attachment 135806

And bonus - it looks like a light sabre!

I went a little torch mad a few years ago, upgrading from some bulb-based Maglites. I still keep a 3D upstairs though.

These will be "old" technology as far as LEDs are concerned now, but I ended up with:

2 x Nitecore SRT-6
Nitecore SRT-5
2 x Nitecore Sens
Dereelight NM800 (focusable long thrower)
Petzl Pixa 1 head torch

All used for different things, but I went for the SRT series of Nitecores for the strike bezel, strobe and beacon, useful things to have inside a car if you need to break out through a window (hopefully not).

I bought a Nitecore Tiny Monster 28 about 4 years ago - it is epic. It was also £400.

Its also very trick - 6000 lumens for around 45 mins to 2 lumens for over 1,000 hours - s.o.s., strobe and everything in between all controlled by a camera type shutter button.

Its used regularly (even car maintenance task lighting) Its had LOTS of abuse sea fishing and off roading and is still going strong.

They are still holding value at around £380 now - uk website (lots of chinese copy cats though)

torch1.jpg torch2.jpg

Thrunite seem to do some very nice torches. Quite a range and lots of reviews on YouTube. Not sure on prices mind. They have a near USB charging one, the TC 10V2 which looks nice but I think I prefer your new one AM.

I'll let you all know what the Nebo is like.

I think I'll just lash it to the cargo barrier with something like this.

RS05_5.jpg

Back