Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamp adjustment and rear end sagging

Paulpen

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys !

Had the 90 parked on a flat earlier and im sure it looks like the front is alot higher than the rear although there are a few tools in the boot !

If I take all the stuff out the boot where can I measure from to know if it is lower or not (arch to ground, centre cap to arch etc) ?

(A totally standard LWB 95 Prado by the way - South African import ive been told).

Secondly as its a slightly related question - am I meant to have an electric switch that adjusts the headlamp height or are you expected to blind people when towing ? :icon-rolleyes:

You didn't notice the sag at a petrol station on an M4 near Cardiff did you , mine always looks wonky when i stop there for some reason ? there should be a switch to the right of your steering wheel on the dash about the same height as the door handle to adjust headlights .

It's probably likely the rear springs have sagged over time if it's been carrying a lot of stuff for a long time. The truck should sit pretty level when empty, not sure of measurement though

Noticed at first as Cardiff central but had a trailer on at the time - just looks like either that back is low or the front is high but im ruling the front out as ive not changed anything !

Ive not got anything there - just some blank switch plugs I think !

(just checked and ive got 4 small blank ones, one larger blank one and then above that is a rear fog lamp switch (import) and the electric mirrors) :S

Ive only had it a year and pretty sure it wasnt like it when I got it.

Since then its mostly been empty other than a few trailer trips !

Here's what the switch looks like if you have one .
mRM3K_Zw8SnJ4FVdbgYcmBg.jpg

I would get under it to check i hadn't broke a spring and if all looked ok leave it empty for a couple of days to see if the springs recover . I'm assuming it was a heavy trailer .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
100% dont have that switch :(

Ill have a look around over the weekend - they should have settled though as it was a small car on a light trailer and it was over a week ago now !

Tried to find a connector for the adjuster behind the dash and nothing there - then had a look at the back of the headlamps and does not look like any motors or wiring there either so muct have a odd one without it !

Not all lamps are electrically adjusted. My off roader didn't have motors. You have to adjust them manually with a small socket. There are some bolt heads sticking out of the top of the lamp units. Best done against a garage door at night. Fooaaarr! Eh, nudge nudge.

Sorry.

Lol

Not just me then !

Ill see if I can get them done at the local garage and get the set to the lowest legal height I guess ?

You need an MOT station with the good old fashioned light box to go in front of the headlamp. Takes seconds.

Best done against a garage door at night. Fooaaarr! Eh, nudge nudge.

Sorry.

respect-039.gif
In the words of Dick Emery Chris. "Ooh! you are awful, but I like you"

I had the problem of sagging springs in one of my cars and someone mentioned that fitting front springs from a Nissan Y61 std into the rear of a Prado. I did it and it is great, carries a heavy load and tows the boat as well

Back