Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with braking system error codes

Paul_Driver

Country Flag
uk
My ABS light is always on and after speaking with Chris at the Adventure Overland Show I'm try to make sense of some error codes having followed the steps set out in the service manual in section BR-25

It seems fairly clear that I have multiple errors but I'm struggling to make sense of them. I've posted a video (linked below) and having watched it a couple of times I think the repeating sequence of flashes is as follows;
2 3 1 3 2 3 3 3 4 3 5 3 6 - If correct this does not seem fit with the codes as I read them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWT7MBCc6CI&list=UUyVr9ExwZ9GKk60_K_6x9Kg

Any ideas what the faults are ?

My ABS light is always on and after speaking with Chris at the Adventure Overland Show I'm try to make sense of some error codes having followed the steps set out in the service manual in section BR-25

It seems fairly clear that I have multiple errors but I'm struggling to make sense of them. I've posted a video (linked below) and having watched it a couple of times I think the repeating sequence of flashes is as follows;
2 3 1 3 2 3 3 3 4 3 5 3 6 - If correct this does not seem fit with the codes as I read them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWT7MBCc6CI&list=UUyVr9ExwZ9GKk60_K_6x9Kg

Any ideas what the faults are ?

Video seems to be private(?) so we can't see it.

A single fault often triggers more than one code.

Paul, can't see the vid, but those numbers don't look right to me.

Do the breaks are ABS work as they should?

Sorry folks the video is now ready for public viewing.

@Beau. No the breaks are faulty, ABS kicks in at very low speed when vehicle is about to stop

I read 11, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 which says all the sensors and all the wiring is screwed :lol: or more likely there's a relay failed, bad connection / plug undone, haven't got time to check more than that just now sorry.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry folks the video is now ready for public viewing.

@Beau. No the breaks are faulty, ABS kicks in at very low speed when vehicle is about to stop

Sounds like your wheel speed sensors are faulty. It's also common for mud/stones to block the sensor from reading probably and it can cause the ABS to interfere when it's not supposed to. Could also be a broken wire leading to the sensor or the sensor has just failed.

I had a problem with ABS. Turned out to be metal fragments on the magnetic front wheel sensors. Easy to remove, clean in petrol and wipe with a towel.

Yes I read that the same Jon. There is a code 11, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36. Which is a bit bonkers. I'd pull them all, clean them put them back and pull the ABS fuse which I think resets the codes. Drive it and let the fault codes come back. Then do the check again. But remember the trick I told you about. Try and pick up some keys or something with the sensor. If the magnet is quite strong then it should be a good senseor. The front ones have a thin shim. If the magnets are weaker, remove the shim and lower the sensor closer to the ABS ring. That pull-up judder is common.

had a similar issue with my 80 when first got it.
ABS would kick in coming to a stop and also the brake pedal would go rock hard, effectively leaving very little braking.
Pulled the ABS relay as temporary fix.

If I remember correctly the codes can pin point if it is a sensor and which one is dodgy.

Don't know what year your 80 is but with the earlier ones like mine there is a shim that fits under the front sensor body and the knuckle. Increases/decreases air gap between sensor end and the birf ABS ring.

I ended up removing the shim completely and its been happy last four years. Think their magnetic strength drops over time.

May not be your problem, just a thought...

Common ABS trigger just as you slow is the CV bush inside the front hub gets worn, this allows the CV to 'run out' and away from the sensor and trigger the ABS, often you will feel it through the pedal and not even get a light, seen this three times, twice on two different customers cars and mine did it a few times, all three turned out to be the bush. I have never replaced a sensor on a LC....or any other ABS component come to think about it.

The point is I had more codes than I knew what to do with, all disappeared when the phosphor bronze bushes were replaced!

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back