Hi from England

megan4x4 Jan 10, 2019

1. AndycruiserguyLomas

AndycruiserguyLomas Well-Known Member I am in england

Map
    Great advice Tony, thats exactly what I did.

2. megan4x4

megan4x4 New Member I am in england

Map
    thank you thats very helpful :)

3. megan4x4

Map

thank you. I was thinking thinking of asking RAC for inspection. :)

4. megan4x4

Map
    thanks Shayne. :)

5. megan4x4

Map
    thanks but RAC chap should do thatx

6. megan4x4

Map
    Hi I'm in Manchester

7. Shayne

Shayne Well-Known Member Guru

Map
    Megan i bought my first cruiser 6 years ago and joined this forum then , in that time i've learned lots , met many of the forum members and enjoyed or witnessed many favours from complete strangers because we all share the same interest . Here you have found a community of sorts and i hope the odd RAC man who is actually a member won't mind me saying you are being offered "someone to hold your hand" by people undoubtedly knows more about cruisers than i or the vast majority of RAC men ever will .

clivehorridge and grantw like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Super Moderator Supporter I am in europe

Garage:
    Map
    No offence to the RAC but they're going to look at completely different things to us. I'd love to see them given an opinion on an 80 series. Manchester is pretty central, we should be able to lend a hand with a area drawn around that. You could do RAC too as a back stop, but the chances of them even thinking about checking a rear diff lock on an LC3? Somewhere close to none and zero.

9. Ben Stratford

Ben Stratford Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Hi Megan,
    A hilux doublecab with a canopy for the back may also be a contender? Depends how you wsnt to use it.
    Just bought one for the wife to replace her Rav4 that has been written off.
    Welcome to the group

10. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    Hi Megan and welcome to the forum. As has been said, this is a most friendly forum with many very knowledgeable helpful folks that are only too happy to lend a hand. As said, take someone who knows cruiser’s with you and if they come out from underneath with a smile on their face then you’re half way there. Forecourt one’s are likely to be there for a reason, private sales from long time owners or their family are the best. Rust underneath is the deal breaker. It’s worse if it’s been poorly treated and covered up. There’s possibly stuff the RAC man would know but guys on here know just as well or better.

I’ve never owned a vehicle that attracts so much praise from people in the trade.

Buy well and let us see photos when you’ve found the one that gives you your cruiser grin.

Best wishes
    Rich

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    clivehorridge likes this.
  11. AndycruiserguyLomas

AndycruiserguyLomas Well-Known Member I am in england

Map
    This would be a contender if I was in the hunt ( subject to inspection) but I would walk away at anything over £7.5k.

I wouldn't know your intended route but I figure its not 250 miles there and back.

12. megan4x4

Map
    Hi sorry been quite a weekend! i only want the silver one in the pictures above.

Ben Stratford likes this.
  13. megan4x4

Map
    Basically the guy won't come any less than 8500. So I'm leaving it at the minute. hoping that price would go down as we get closer to diesel tax down south :)

14. megan4x4

Map
    thank you so much :) Well I've let this one go because gran Pete won't come any lower than 8500. :(

15. megan4x4

Map
    gd ty :) But do you think 2006 land cruiser would be reliable or shell I save up for a better one. My mum keeps saying get newer one and she'll let me use her money which even worries me more! I really dont wanna use her monies :-0

16. megan4x4

Map
    lol i did. :)

17. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    Reliable:laughing-rolling:

Generally Toyotas are excellent reliable cars. Land cruisers are some of the best of those. The newer electronic managed vehicles generally are less reliable than older ‘standard’ cars but we get very few instances of breakdowns on here apart from one or two simple fixes. There’s things like batteries and alternators, though reliable, can let any car down but very rarely. Rust as mentioned is the major problem. I’m not sure if @Higgy has still got a 120 he couldn’t get on with. Sorry Mum but newer isn’t necessarily better when it comes to cruisers as they will all do stellar mileage. The key is finding one that’s been looked after.

Higgy likes this.
  18. Higgy

Higgy Well-Known Member Supporter I am in denmark

Map
    LOL.. I dont think Megan wants my opinion on the 120.. Im Still waiting for some crazy person on ebay who wants to swap an 80 series for a 120....:lol:

19. Shayne

Shayne Well-Known Member Guru

Map
    Hello again Megan , it might help if you look for the cheapest possible cruisers you can find on the internet and at the price they demand even with quarter of a million miles or more on the clock . These are tough vehicles .

Buying the best you can afford is wise but being more expensive is no indication of it being better than the last you viewed . If i forum member had one like you need for sale like as not you would laughing regardless of the trucks age because you would know its been cared for .

In my view the newer they get the more complicated they get and so there are more things to go wrong , but that's just me .

I know how it is when you've decided to buy and you can't find exactly what you want , it becomes an obsessive necessity to search the web constantly , we lower our expectations , start thinking maybe if i upped my budget , Rose tinted goggles syndrome .

Be sensible , set your budget , find a car , show it to us , if a forum member offers to view it for you accept . If it was the best you could find and its not the one , another will come up for sale in the next 2 weeks . You don't need it right now do you .

clivehorridge, Higgy, flint and 2 others like this.
  20. Dave_S

Dave_S Well-Known Member

Map
    Going back to the original post... I'm not really sure you need/want a cruiser to be completely honest. There are a lot of decent, solid reliable vehicles around in your price range. Example: a nice Toyota Rav4 or Zuki Vitara will do anything you are likely to want, with better fuel economy. Unless you need to offroad, overland, or tow a 3.5t horse box, then maybe revisit why you think you need/want a cruiser? Just a thought...

big-yin, Higgy, flint and 1 other person like this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter