Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

In car video recorder.

wobbly

Garage
Been looking at my next Birthday pressie - am starting to collect bits of kit for the Toyotas inaugural roadtrip.

In car video recording - been looking at the website for the RoadHawk system - everything goes onto sdhc cards for downloading to pc.

Anyone running one of these, or an alternative.

Wondered how they perform with an uprated suspension or offroad?

I still have a SpotTracker on the list, which would give a real time position for following back at home, but not the video facility.

Any thoughts?

Pete

Have a look at the Go Pro HD Hero 2 - very slick but if kit!

Thats pretty impressive 11 mpixel rather than the 1.5 of the roadhawk.

I was looking for a system that records, and also shows the map/gps position, that system is an action camera - I like the idea it can be suction mounted outside!

Just had a read of the novus website, similar to the roadhawk but with a more confusing array of products.

Pete

Just bought a go pro 2. Very nice. For less than half the price have s look at yjr drift stealth HD. Also ggood.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

without going to check - aren't the mounting options and waterproofing options less well thought out on the drift?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AFAIK, the drift does not come with a waterproof case but is water resistant.

Pro - size and shape (I want to mount it on a RC plane and the quad)
Cons are, if video is compared side by side with the GoPro Hero 2, The gopro is better.
Pro - the Drift is £117 compared to the £230 (ebay) for the Hero.
Pro - The drift has a screen, the gopro cost another £70 for a screen.

I recently bought a wireless remote control Drift HD170 for £159 but that did include £100 worth of extras (including a w/proof case), as you say Crispin the waterproof case is an optional extra.
Drift do make a waterproof camera but it is smaller I don't know if it is any better or worse than the non-waterproof one, it is more expensive though.
I bought mine initially to use on my parachute jump at the end of March, then found out it isn't allowed for beginners :cry: never mind it will be used on the 80 eventually. :thumbup:

Hi Chris

Yep, that is a bargain. I might buy one just cos its so cheap!

It covers the camera side, but I want the gps mapping to be recorded as well.

How did you mount the stand to your dash? My 95 dash isnt smooth enough for the suction mounts.

Cheers

Pete

Will post up a pic in the morning. Its actually mounted to the windscreen right at the top just to the left of the rearview mirror with the power running behind Tue dash and up the passenger side door pillar.
If you want to dash mount then you can get stick on smooth suction cup plates. Will see if i can find any pics.

Chris Green90 said:
I got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1280P-HD-Car- ... 256491fbd1 for Christmas and to be honest, For the price £27 It is absolutely awesome. This Video was of a full days laneing and 16gb sd was about half full. pic quality is spont on. Especially bearing in mind it is speeded up 4x. If you want to see what it is like at normal speed, let me know and I will upload a 15 min video to youtube and put it on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WwPIFc9MVw

Did you do anything (compress / reduce the size) with the video before uploading? YT only has 240p option for resolution and nothing higher.

yeah I ran it through windows movie maker as I dont have any other programs to do it and could only figure out how to do it in standard def. Plus file size was about 1.5gig in hd and would have taken me about a week to upload with my slow ass KC connection. Oh how I wish I didnt live in hull.

wobbly said:
Hi Chris

Yep, that is a bargain. I might buy one just cos its so cheap!

It covers the camera side, but I want the gps mapping to be recorded as well.

How did you mount the stand to your dash? My 95 dash isnt smooth enough for the suction mounts.

Cheers

Pete

I use mmtracker on my android galaxy tab for mapping and tracking. It tells you the time you are at a particular point so I can just match it with the time on the camera and there you go. sorted. Well it works for me anyway.
2012-02-29145006.jpg

2012-02-29145051.jpg

P1000787.jpg

Have ordered one of the £27 jobbies, just waiting for it to arrive.

I'm not the quickest acting am I?

Pete

I'd vote for a gopro hero too there a great little device

Mines been on the dash board in the swimming pool etc etc

You got the car in the swimming pool, cool !

Pete

Chris,

Does your camera show anything at night, other than specs of light?

The blurb suggested some sort of night driving recording system, but maybe I misunderstood it.

I managed to route all the cable under the headlining, then behind the plastic A pillar cover, behind the glovebox and then into a 12v socket on the dash, so quite neat.

Just need an sd card and I can re-live every journey in real-time....

Wife says I'm sad.

Pete

wobbly said:
Chris,

The blurb suggested some sort of night driving recording system, but maybe I misunderstood it.

I managed to route all the cable under the headlining, then behind the plastic A pillar cover, behind the glovebox and then into a 12v socket on the dash, so quite neat.

Just need an sd card and I can re-live every journey in real-time....

Wife says I'm sad.

Pete

You know my wife said exactly the same thing.
As for the night vision thing mine look pretty good in real time (Don't try watching it whilst your driving((Its quite difficult not to do))) havent downloaded any night stuff off it though. will do some tomorrow and post it up.

wobbly said:
Chris,

How close have you got it to the windscreen. If its too far away all it will pick up is glare from the IR. Been busy with work and every time I get out the car I forget to grab the card from my cam. will definately post up some night pics tomorrow

Back