Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inline fuel filter - anything special?

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
So still having the issues with the diesel bug blocking my filter and causing me to looks somewhat sill when trying to overtake :( Engine refuses to continue to rev when you floor it, it's not lumpy or spluttering, it just stops going faster.

I want to stick a cheap filter in front of the Mr-T "filtered through the wings of hunted fairies". I can get 10 cheap clean filters from fleabay for a shade under £12 instead of the £32 for the Mr-T "filtered through the wings of hunted fairies"

All I want to do is a) catch the crap before it blocks the main filter and b) see if there is more of the bug coming through.
if it remains kinda clean, then I will have to check the fuel pickup in the tank :thumbdown:

So, question, is something like the item from fleabay ok for the new fangled engine's of late? I'm guessing the silly high pressure is from the pump against the engine to the fuel lines / injectors and everything from tank->filter->main pump is "not that high pressure" which is then the same as the non-common rail types?

Anything better I should be using?

This cheap filter itself could be a restriction and possibly add to your fuelling issues, or it could work brilliantly. There's only one way to find out :thumbup:

PS all the really high pressure stuff is post injection pump, that's why the injector pipes are metal...

I did wonder about it restricting - This one seems to be larger than "normal" so hopefully it will be ok. You can tell it is larger because it has the word large in the title :lol:

Having a look on ToyoDIY, I cannot see a second pump in the tank so guessing this has just the one which draws from the tank. The assemble into the tank looks convoluted though :violin:

If you give me a couple of days i am waiting on some info for a replacement filter and body, possibly with an optional 12v pump and heater (electric or heater hose connection,) and a see through washable glass bowl on the bottom.

Crispin, dunno what hose size is on a 120 but the 80 is 12 mm ID. I would think that there's a chance that those filters at 8 mm barb might be a bit small. You need a snug fit. I had something similar on mine and they worked fine. Certainly not a restriction and you could see it trapping dirt.

Chris

thanks Paul - let me know what they cost.

Chris - I am guessing that is the ID of your pipe? The only 12mm one I can find on fleabay is the magnetic one which is a bit of a rip off to realign my fuel molecules.
Your link on your other post lead to nothing on fleabay :|

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No need to guess Dear Boy, that's why I said 12 mm ID in my post :roll:

Nothing I can do if the linky has gone really. But I did get a 12 mm stainless one the other day on e bay. I posted a link to that somewhere. Err can't remember where. Will have a delve in my confirmed purchases file.

Chris

It's ended but type in item 180722055308 and you'll see.

C

ha ha, you must have edited it :violin:

Sorry but stainless steel != see through?
I saw that link you had but as, I think Lorin asked, can't see much through it :whistle:

For the love of Chr....

I had a truck, it had a see through filter. The truck caught fire and burned to the ground. I have a new truck on which I have a different filter. No point looking at new links and transposing old conversations onto them. I know you want a see through one, but I don't. But there are 12mm filters out there. And 12 mm check valves too. I thought you were good with computers.

Do at least TRY to keep up.

C

So the see through ones catch fire but the stainless ones contain the bad stuff?

/runs away

Oh laff it up big boy, laff it up. I actually only put the filter in Crispin as the one way check valve was leaking due to small particles getting stuck in the thin flap seal inside. My primer pump had failed and fuel was leaking back to the tank. The check valve cured that until it was jammed open, effectively. The filter cured this and then, yes, it caught fire. The two events were not connected.

C :evil:

ahh, all clear now. thanks ;)

I'll check the pipe I have and get the appropriate filter.

I have pretty much the same problem as you.

When I first start up and drive it will drive fine for the first mile or so and then all of a sudden there is loss in power and it is really hard to build up speed, the fuel blockage light also comes on. I am a bit confused as why it is fine at first. It bassically goes into some sort of limp mode.

I have changed the fuel filter in the tank, and the fuel filter in the engine bay.

Does anyone know if there is a filter in the Pump on the 90 series, as this could be blocked... :?:

Could yours not be a pump issue if you have changed both filters?

Mine is that the filter seems to get blocked quite quickly because of the bug I apparently have living in the tank. each filter I change has signs of the growth on the filter element.
Mine drives fine, it only appears to have a problem when you boot it for long periods (overtaking etc) If you slowly let the revs climb, it is fine.

Crispin said:
Could yours not be a pump issue if you have changed both filters?

Mine is that the filter seems to get blocked quite quickly because of the bug I apparently have living in the tank. each filter I change has signs of the growth on the filter element.
Mine drives fine, it only appears to have a problem when you boot it for long periods (overtaking etc) If you slowly let the revs climb, it is fine.

Im hopping its not the pump as I will then need to take it out and give it a rebuild. I came across a pump rebuild post before but cant seem to find it.

I can creep up to motorway speeds 70-80 fine, but if I need to overtake or a hill approaches, it then calls for that extra bit of fuel which it doesn't get so then goes into blockage mode (limp Mode) and then the ECU limits the speed to 65 mph. However if I stick it in Neutral momentarily while driving, turn off the engine and back on, and accelerate is is like normal and then a few miles down the road and it happens again. I am very confused to what it could be....

it does seem to be a boat issue because of the way the diesel stands for long periods. Still odd how I have it... Maybe PO left the truck standing for a long period.

1 BOTTLE TREATS 4500 LITRES OF DIESEL

I need a teaspoon. :lol:

It can also be picked up from tanks of diesel that have been standing that you fill up from. Farms suffer from it too.

Back