Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Iron Man corrosion after 12 months

fridayman

Garage
This is what my Iron Man shocks look like after 1 year and 17k miles...

SDC10577.jpg

SDC10578.jpg

When you touch the paint it just flakes off.

SDC10576.jpg

The dampers are also starting to flake and corrode now. To put it into perspective, everything else in the pic has done 12 British winters.

thats not great, my Belton offroad ones have been on 2 years and still look bang on with non paint flaking at all

My Ironman springs on my 70 are just then same.. :thumbdown:

My OME ones like that after 2 years, but NE Scotland so much more road salt in winters

Heard that about Ironman. :( Worst story told was it started doing that in the compressor while putting it on.

Some people are happy with the Ironman Product, at the end of the day it’s cheap and cheerful.
We have trailed Ironman, OME and TJM on our pit vehicles, and now settled on TJM. Ironman achieved the shortest life, but it’s the cheapest of the 3.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I took a set of Iron man the whole way from London to Cape Town and they were perfect. Not that any others wouldn't have been either. They're still on the truck and I like the ride more than the much stiffer OME on my other 80
Go figure..

hmm, not good. last summer (well what was supposed to be summer) i put a set of IM coils on the truck i'm currently building. although my truck won't be a show truck i still don't want it to be all rusty, but i'd prefer that rather than the springs sagging. or do they do that aswell? :(

Guys

My first post on this forum - don't have a LC yet but have used IronMan previously. I've got them on my Mitzy Delica and I put them on my Daewoo Musso and they were fine, although the gas shocks are showing rust on the bodies.

I've been looking into the iron man stuff for my 80, guess I'll expect some corrosion.
How do people rate the product (apart from some rust) been looking at the 4 inch kit.
On previous vehicles I've used ome springs and they corroded and the paint flaked off, used Rancho and rough country shocks and they all did the same.

Hi, I've just fitted ironman coils and shocks and I find the ride to be excellent. I'll be coating them in clear waxoyl regularly though in an effort to keep corrosion at bay.

I think the report at the post #1, regarding the paint flaking off.

I expect this is really due to the fact that the paint isn't flexing with the spring.
The paint they have used, seems to be a brittle paint.
perhaps instead of Iron Man, painting their springs, there could possibly be an alternative option to keep the elements away from the iron of the spring.

Would plastic coating be flexible enough?
What about dipped in toffee? well perhaps not toffee, but any way.

Maybe the answer is to sand blast the original pretty yellow paint, and paint them with Hammerite?
is Hammerite flexible?

Gra.

Last edited:
Hammerite is not flexible once it dries and is just as prone to chip off. Chassis paint might work.

Back