Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

just had a clutch quote off toyota uk and nearly fell over..

I hav'nt actually done this with a new clutch but it may be worth trying the plate on gearbox shaft to make sure it fits lol.

I also found best to leave the box in top gear before fitting. There is a big relief when the input shaft eventually goes through clutch centre but then if the box is in neutral it's a job to get the splines to pop in. That's because when rotating the box in neutral you are'nt actually rotating the input shaft.

Keep posting !! it's all interesting.

Selecting top gear is a good tip Frank.

And I know there are good tools for alighting the friction plate, before pinching up the cover bolts, but I ended up gathering together a collection of old spline shafts, and found that by far the best way to align.

Not easy on a one-off job, but spending some time on alignment, by any method, is time well-spent.

...... I've also found a fully equipped garage in town that you can hire for £10/hr for DIY repairs. Ramp, transmission jacks, welding equip etc.. and there is a mechanic on hand to advise so I'll be looking into that to see how good a setup it is........
Now that sounds very, very interesting...........

On top of Franks tip about the starter stud, alignment is very much easier if you removed the bolts holding the antiroll bar., I had it lowered it down and gives some extra room. Also I removed the engine driven fan (now all electric), I cannot remember if it was vital but experience dictates that on some models the fan ends up hitting the rad when the engine is tilted back.

The OE clutch had 233,000 miles on it and still looked good, I changed it for a new Aisin unit as insurance.

regards

Dave

Dadaaa!
20181216_114621.jpg
20181216_114700.jpg

Well, this kept me out of trouble over the weekend..
bit gutted really as I wanted to get past 300000 miles. The escapade of trying to drag well over 10 ton up a steep hill recently finished It off..
there was actually a 1/4" wide ring of melted friction plate around the bell housing.

everything bolted back up.
20181217_105548.jpg

This is how far the engine is tilted back. It was just touching the bulkhead.
20181216_133036.jpg

the difference is impressive. Clutch pedal is very light. Take up is very smooth, you cant actually feel the bite point, you know your there when the 80 starts to move.
shifting Is better, no judder and no noises.
all good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back