Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Kingone 9.5 winch - kaput

Andrew Brierley

Country Flag
england
Not stripped a winch before, so not sure where to start, or even what to look for. Winch is 12 months old and was working 3 months ago, but now wont spool either way. Power OK to (and from) isolating switch. Do I start with the mysterious black box, or go straight for the gubbins of the winch? A few pointers of where to start would be much appreciated. Tx

Andrew,a sharp blow to the motor may bring it to life if its just the brushes stuck due to lack of use?

Typically with these winches it's not the motor. They just keep going. The cheaper solenoids do cause problems but so do the isolators. OK so it might be reading 12v but just how much current is flowing? Number one test, disconnect the leads from the isolator, fasten them together with a bolt and try again. The wandering leads get wobbly too, wiggle that. Then if that doesn't work, by pass the solenoid with jump leads straight to the main terminals of the winch. You shouldn't have to strip the motor unless it has been sitting in a bog all this time. Remember to put it in free spool first.

My Goldfish (Kingone) winch also stopped working without ever being used. I think the corrugated roads killed it - the solenoid clicks but nothing else happens.

Call Goodwinch. Even if you have not bought your winch from them. They are full of knowledge, always happy to help and carry all the spares you may require. They can also talk you through the different diagnostics that you can try. Their number is:
[h=3]01363 82666[/h]

I did a pretty good thread with photos of striping and servicing my KingOne TDS winch.

Clicky/Linky http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/49681-Servicing-my-TDS-9-5-Winch

As Chris says though, start at the beginning and move forwards;

Is the battery good?

Is the connection to the battery good?

Are the crimped terminals sound?

Is the isolator working correctly? Mine recently failed and has now been completely removed!

Is the contactor in good working order? Again these can sound as though they are working, but if the contacts are burnt the winch will not run! I've also experienced this and is why I now use the TG Thompson contactor.

Are the connections to the motor sound?

Even if not under load there is a lot of amps flowing and it's surprising how the most innocuous thing can halt this flow!

Here's some photos of my original Durite style contactor in bits. You can see the black carbonation damage caused to the contacts from arching when under load and the discoloration also caused from running very hot also causing some of the plastic components to have melted due to the heat build up! There is also some green corrosion due to some moisture ingress. All of this had conspired to stop the winch working even though the contactor was still clicking in and out.

IMG_4609_zps97ee5fdb.jpg

IMG_4608_zpse637631c.jpg

IMG_4607_zps0fd8d369.jpg

IMG_4606_zps81e36871.jpg

IMG_4605_zps4c0b8e08.jpg

IMG_4604_zps433c1255.jpg

IMG_4603_zps7ab7b5fc.jpg

IMG_4602_zps8adba30b.jpg

After a good clean up and putting it all back together without replacing any components for new she worked a treat. I had to increase the IP level with some DUCK tape though as she had a few cracks in her body and some large bits missing!!!

IMG_4618_zps0523c6a5.jpg

IMG_4628_zps8f2d3f1a.jpg

NB - Just remembered that my M8 Mog had some troubles with his almost brand new winch that had had no real use and had only been on the truck for a very short period of time. During a fairly intense 4Hrs of winching his winch started to become intermittent clicking on and off ultimately completely stopping!!! This turned out to be corrosion in the motor housing due to water ingress that had prevented the brushes from moving freely in the housings and becoming disconnected from the motor segments, stopping the winch from working!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A case of thread timewarp I think

Back