Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED headlamp bulbs

I bought these two years ago based on a review on iH8mud:

http://woodypeck.com/?product=new-h...ulbs-80w-bulb-set-4000-lumens-1-pair-of-bulbs

I had been super pleased with them till I mounted them in a Nissan Micra two months ago to do the Mongol Rally this summer. I noticed that they are not really made to mount and unmounts many times and the main issue was that I had 4 of the 8 individual leds which got burned. Basically the bulbs are to be thrown away. On top, the ones I had have a fan and this seemed pretty rusty after a year.

Could be that the set shown here is of a better quality?

Anyhow, I was thinking how to upgrade the lights on the 75 and was doubting:

- Buy new leds
- Buy IPF inserts, HB Osrams and the wire upgrade mentioned in a post here
Or maybe the best is to do a combination of both?

In any case it is already great to read that people passed the MOT with these - a local mechanic mentioned me that they wouldn't pass in Belgium, but I am doubting his opinion now!

LED bulbs won't pass Belgian inspection

Why's that Niels?
Because with LED and HID main beam light you need headlight washers and automatic levelling lights, the bulbs probably will have to be E-rated, but not too sure about that

The LEDs from Woodypeck are E rated. HIDs here need to be self levelling, I'm not aware of LEDs needing the same as mine have passed MOT and got the tester interested in buying some. Maybe it's different where you are? Cruisers have headlight washers, at least mine does. :icon-biggrin:

I've had HID's in the inner headlight units (H1) and some LED's from Woodypeck in the outers (H4) for the past 3 MOT's with no issues. There's a disclaimer on the Woodypeck site stating all LED bulbs are for "off road and show use only". E marking doesn't necessarily make something legal, it depends what it's going on/in. The main difference over here compared to some other countries appears to be that the MOT legalities are not rigidly enforced to the letter. The beam and light scatter on my headlights are well within the limits so I guess that's all the testers are bothered about.

On a 2 wheel related topic I fitted some LED spots and a small light bar on the dirt bike for green laning after dark and the MOT tester was happy with the aim and the fact they dipped with the headlights. The fact that they are mounted higher than the "specs" allow didn't even come into it.

and don't forget you will need to carry a spend bulb with you to europe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To me it reads 'if they are fitted' not that 'they must be fitted' with washers and self levelling systems.

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given."

Fitted them today. Sterling service from steve, very helpful.

the dust covers just about slide over everthing so can be refitted, the driver box being the most difficult, a bit of washing up liquid helps. Its easier to do all of this before attempting to fit the bulb.
The braids look a little odd but they certainly do a job as they get warm quickly.

As expected they are a lot brighter, but need some night driving to see how they really perform..

and don't forget you will need to carry a spend bulb with you to europe
It doesn't need to be an LED one though so the existing spare or one of your old globes should do. No?

It doesn't need to be an LED one though so the existing spare or one of your old globes should do. No?

that would odd one led one normal bulb
Sould they not be the same type of bulb if one blows

that would odd one led one normal bulb
Sould they not be the same type of bulb if one blows
Is that a requirement? Obviously not ideal but I wasn't aware of it if it is.

Is that a requirement? Obviously not ideal but I wasn't aware of it if it is.

I've just fitted a pair of Philips Ultinon H4 LEDs.
They are not cheap - to say the least - but they are really well made and the light position is very accurate. And they are very bright.

I've just fitted a pair of Philips Ultinon H4 LEDs.
They are not cheap - to say the least - but they are really well made and the light position is very accurate. And they are very bright.
I was looking at these myself as one of mine has begun to flicker a little at startup. Trouble is they are no more legal I believe than the others though I hope to be corrected on that. My MOT tester said there was new legislation on the way regarding LED headlights. Will have to wait and see.

I was looking at these myself as one of mine has begun to flicker a little at startup. Trouble is they are no more legal I believe than the others though I hope to be corrected on that. My MOT tester said there was new legislation on the way regarding LED headlights. Will have to wait and see.
No, they're no more legal than any of the others but the beam pattern is just the same as the originals and the manual height adjuster still works as it should. Just to be sure of not blinding the oncoming traffic I got them set up on a beam setting at the local MOT shop.

Yes that's the same as mine, they have an excellent cut off and I did the same to get them set right.

Yes that's the same as mine, they have an excellent cut off and I did the same to get them set right.[/QUOTE

Did you go the whole hog and replace the inner main beams as well. I didn't and they look very anemic. I'm not going to bother as I've put a couple of LED spotlights on the roof rack for all round daylight on main beam.

No I didn't, mine has it's yellow front fog lights there being a JDM 81. The side lights look yellow by comparison to the main beams. They're next on the list. The LED reversing lights have been a revelation, quite literally!!

Yes, I did them first as a bulb had gone. The Philips side lights are good but probably an unnecessary cost as the beam is hardly critical! I'm still thinking about how to get an LED stop/tail light bulb to fit in the side light to use as a daylight running light. I keep meaning to see if the rear light bulb holder will fit but haven't got round to it yet.

Currently have over 600W of light on main beam with my Ex manta 400 rally car Spots and upgraded halogen bulbs ....obviously this is no more legal than any other upgrade but passes the MOT every year .

It is getting pretty close to the max output the alternator can cope with though so interested in the LED's .
I an running LED's in all the other lights on the Cruiser.

Everyone who rides in the Cruiser comments on how good the lights are , even those who have 17 reg R Rovers and other top spec cars .

What I do like about my current set up is the light is more natural and less tiring than some of the HID and LED lights fitted to car's like the wife's Merc and Audi .

Are these LED's a brilliant white light verging almost on the blue or a softer white ?

Back