Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED headlamp bulbs

Downpours, now let me see, there’s bound to be one along someday soon.
:blush:just maybe you've had actual experience on this type of condition:blush: Some say that white and bluish lights are difficult on wet roads and rainy conditions.
I'm still searching for actual experiences using the LED's on fluted glass headlight lenses and on wet roads / rainy conditions.

Regards all,
Jim

Well wouldn’t you know it Jim, the sun’s come out.

I have to say the colour is very good. Not bluish at all but equivalent to commercial fluorescent lighting (known as a Colour 840 tube).

As soon as we get some heavy rain I’ll let you know. :)

Well wouldn’t you know it Jim, the sun’s come out.
Drats!!! :(
Super hot hot summer here too with temperatures shooting to 40C's !!! :sweat::sweat::sweat::sweat:

:grinning: Appreciate your reply StarCruiser incidentally, are your headlight lenses fluted glass please?
Specifically, Philips LED's are so expensive here so I need to be triply sure that It will fit my requirements before I spend. So far your reviews/actual experience reports here are very inspiring

Thanks,
Jim

Yes Jim, the glass is the original single glass headlight of the 80 series (not the pair of separate lenses often seen in Oz).

Something to bear in mind is that LED light is different to light from fillament lamps. Although the Phillips ones are superb and the colour is great, the light is somehow different on all LED lighting.

I guess you could say ‘it’s light Jim, but not as we know it’…:shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just fitted my nighteye ones off e Bay, will see what they're like and report back. 3 year guarantee so I'd hope they're not too bad

Going to install some LED bulbs so I can see when driving in the dark this winter. Think i'll go with the Philips Ultinon.

Did you guys go with the extreme version (is there a non extreme version)?
Has anyone had any problems with the MOT?
Did you just do the dipped/ main beam bulb or replace the sidelights as well?

Any other thoughts before I hit the 'Checkout' button?

TIA

So far Nick the Phillips ones have been superb. I’ve not been flashed at all, the MOT tester said they were the best pattern from LEDs he had seen. I only changed the H4 main/dipped lamps but I have also changed the reverse lights and interior lights which are perhaps even more of a revelation.

I'll be round in 10. Get the woodburner lit Nick. Should just be nice by the time I pull in.

Always welcome Chirs.

@StarCruiser Rich any idea what type of bulbs go into the internal light/ reverse lights? I've been googling around and can't find the type listed anywhere.

On the 80 I think it’s the standard single contact bayonet lamp. Almost all the listings for the type on EBay are 1156 BA15S 382 P21W.
In other words they are a 15mm single contact bayonet of 21W when a standard fillament lamp.

Always welcome Chirs.

@StarCruiser Rich any idea what type of bulbs go into the internal light/ reverse lights? I've been googling around and can't find the type listed anywhere.
The internal light just measure the length of the festoon bulb, it was very short on mine (80) 30 something mm if I remember correctly

Lightbar is the only answer
Screenshot_20180901-230626_Gallery.jpg

installing the C4 LED from Steve Jones Woodypeck on my 1997 80 on low beam. The pattern is higher than the regular bulb but seems seating properly. Am I missing something here on how to adjust them?

Mine (from Woodypeck) had to be lowered considerably. Of course when I first tried them without adjusting them the beam had great throw. After adjustment, nowhere near as good. When I replaced them the Phillips ones needed raising back up. Quite an eye opener.

Last edited:
Back