Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED headlamp bulbs

I can see perfectly well on dip with the standard 22 tear old bulbs in. Even in the dark with on coming traffic lol. Are you sure you've all got the dip beams raised enough?
Raise the beam and I get flashed frank. Mot tester also moans. Im also running osram night breaker bulbs, there better but still no good.

Usually Im more than happy to have survived an off-road weekend with glass and lens in tact....... :grin::grin::grin::grin:

You can still use the covers but they don't fit the center of the lamp any more so you have the hole in the middle.

I got alot of people complaining at me but had poor adjustment to start off with.

don't know how you fitted yours mate, but mine are not letting any water through the rubber boot cover or whatever they are called.
image.jpg
image.jpg

While im reasonable happy with my main beam, you would say there worth doing too? Remind me what that bulb is called..:)
I can't recall if the inners are H1 or H7.

Definitely worth while just for the smile factor. I'm very happy with mine, I don't even feel like I need dedicated riving lights or a bar ... but I will still probably get these as I do love lights :)

I have a question regarding these bulbs.... At the moment I'm running some HID's in my place of my H4 regular halogen bulbs. The problem is, because there's no projector, it does produce some glare on oncoming traffic. They are very bright and when I had the truck in the UK, it passed the MOT's fine. This kinda confused me as I was expecting them to fail.

Are these bulbs going to be a similar situation where they're bright and good for driving but will they dazzle oncoming traffic? The 90 series lense is what's known as "fluted" where the glass design directs the light. So in theory whatever light is produced behind the lens should be cut off and directed forward. But this isn't happening with my HID's. I believe the 80 series lens is also fluted?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Beau, I've done quite a bit of night time driving with these including through France & Belgium (with head light convertors) and I haven't been flashed once.

I've had my LED bulbs in my 90 for around a year (maybe more I can't quite recall) and they have been literally brilliant. The low beam is amazing compared to a Osram/Philips 100%+ type halogen bulb. So the difference between a standard halogen and these LEDs would really be night and day. They've pasted the MoT without issue, though the cut-off is weak and I've never had any issues with oncoming drivers flashing etc.

The minor drawback for me is that high beam penetration is weak - little more than low beam TBH. However I use high beam very rarely in my day-to-day driving, so it is not an issue. Even then, I would be tempted to get a decent light bar or driving lights to compensate for that if necessary.

Once you have LED bulbs, I think the 90 (and 80s) weakness is the lense - these were never designed with these bulbs in mind so are not the most efficient in that respect.

My other car has HID/Xenons and they are superb in every respect; very good low beam with a crisp cutoff, main beam reach will light up everything up to around 200ft quite clearly. I wish I had similar on the 90.

The problem with HIDs is that they don't have the arc that generates the light in the same place as a filament of an ordinary bulb so it is essential to have them fitted to not just lenses but complete headlamp units that are purpose made for them.

The LEDs on the other hand are made to mimic the filament position and utilise the reflectors and lenses originally fitted.

My MOT tester who I've been going to for years was pretty impressed with them but had to significantly lower the beam to get them to pass the viewer.

The thing is, these have been superceded at least twice now so we are talking about lamps that are likely to be improved at each stage.

I am well chuffed with my set, they are almost comparable to my Cayenne xenon lights (but only "almost" :) ) recently passed MOT with no comment.

Both 80 and 90 series light lenses are fluted and its handy to know where deflectors go for driving on the wrong side of the road is clearly marked by a triangle in the glass . A simple thing but worth sharing if it saves someone a few minutes of head scratching .

"... wrong side of the road..." are you insinuating something there Shayne...?

"... wrong side of the road..." are you insinuating something there Shayne...?

As opposed to the right side of the road , can you believe there's some poor souls out there who simply can't grasp the concept because somebody has put their steering wheel on the wrong side as well :doh:

I bought these two years ago based on a review on iH8mud:

http://woodypeck.com/?product=new-h...ulbs-80w-bulb-set-4000-lumens-1-pair-of-bulbs

I had been super pleased with them till I mounted them in a Nissan Micra two months ago to do the Mongol Rally this summer. I noticed that they are not really made to mount and unmounts many times and the main issue was that I had 4 of the 8 individual leds which got burned. Basically the bulbs are to be thrown away. On top, the ones I had have a fan and this seemed pretty rusty after a year.

Could be that the set shown here is of a better quality?

Anyhow, I was thinking how to upgrade the lights on the 75 and was doubting:

- Buy new leds
- Buy IPF inserts, HB Osrams and the wire upgrade mentioned in a post here
Or maybe the best is to do a combination of both?

In any case it is already great to read that people passed the MOT with these - a local mechanic mentioned me that they wouldn't pass in Belgium, but I am doubting his opinion now!

I fitted a pair of the H4 9600 leds from Steve at Woodypeck (the ones with the braided heatsinks) just under a year ago to my 95. After I fitted them, I went to my local MOT place just to check that I’d set the alignment properly and he was fine with them. I did have to fit resistors to get the high beam indicator to work (carefully placed as they get very hot), but they have proved to be a worthwhile upgrade over the Philips halogens I’d fitted before by quite a big margin. So far no one has flashed me on the road.

why did you have to fit resisters flint? not over keen on that..

As far as I could work out, the high beam indicator circuit on the 95 needs to sense a certain amount of resistance to be triggered, which the leds don't provide. The leds work fine without the resistors, just no blue light on the dash. I’m not sure, but it might be a different setup on an 80.

Hmm, anyone have a contact number for woody peck? The one i found via a search put me through to a furniture place..

Back