Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Light Guards?

Kilin4x4

Country Flag
malta
hi guys,

I've asked around, searched several sites, searched 100s of google images etc but I cannot seem to find any decent light guards (front and back).

My last option would be to obtain an original Toyota set (as shown below) and have them sprayed black.

Therefore question is this - have you ever come across or bought some light guards which are different to the ones below? - Typically there would be something a bit sexier but Im struggling with finding any alternative whatsoever.

Thanks,
K

IMG_7069.jpg

I had some guards for the rear light units on my 80 but I soon found out they were not a good idea, going down a scratchy lane one side caught on a bush and ripped out the light unit so I scrapped them, I wouldn't advise getting the rear ones, I can't advise on the fronts as I haven't used them.

I just had light protectors on mine, original Toyota ones, but one snapped from a stone chip so now I just have generic ones on there as the Toyota ones are not made any more. Didn't cost much and I suppose do their job from protecting against stone chips etc. Those metal ones do look good though.

Those metal ones do look good though.

In chrome they look like something out of the 60s, was hoping to find something looking a bit more modern.

Without any other option, might get the chome ones, have them sprayed in a black protective coating like Line-X and see how they look.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Without any other option, might get the chome ones, have them sprayed in a black protective coating like Line-X and see how they look.
Could this absorb too much light? Don't know the rules elsewhere but here headlamp protectors are fine as long as they let through 80pc of the light. How you or the authorities determine that on a metal protector like yours I have no idea. :grinning:

You could get your lights clear wrapped to protect them like Clive Horridge did in his angel eye upgrade thread on his 80 series.

You could get your lights clear wrapped to protect them like Clive Horridge did in his angel eye upgrade thread on his 80 series.

Good idea but aesthetically I've always preferred metal guards over the lights.

These are my genuine Toyota ones. They are rare as honest politicians, but in any case they really dont fit very well. The ones for the bumper lights are fine - and probably the most useful - but the upper light ones hook around the back of the light units and once in place the lights no longer fit flush with the bodywork.

20191006_130012.jpg

Back