Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

found them. :thumbup:

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

looking at the pics i see youve retained the recovery points by shortening the guard slightly. maybe i should do something similar. :think:

regarding the plough effect that Wayne mentions when reversing in thick mud, im planning on having a few folds in my guard, one of which will be on the bottom edge of the guard, i will have a 20mm lip bent upwards which should prevent it being quite as effective at digging into the mud. should also add some more strength. :)

Ben.

my plate is 570 mm wide. This allows room alongside each end for the recovery points. If you want it wider, no problem, just allow cut-outs for the recovery points.

Roger

didnt do much today as once again was really struggling for enthusiasm. i blame the cold weather. :thumbdown:

the first job i wanted to do was to up the fuelling on the pump. :twisted:

so i looked in the toyota workshop manual for the 1KZT engine manual, and i think ive found the correct way to adjust it.

P1150002.jpg

P1150003.jpg

ive located the little rubber cap, but its buried in a sea of hoses and pipes and i can only just see it and can barely get my hand in to remove the rubber cap. let alone then unscrewing the overflow screw, and then carefully adjusting the injection volume with a screwdriver. :thumbdown:

might have to remove one of the batteries, and possibly fuel and engine oil filters to gain enough access. :?

so decided to leave that, and went and collected some cheap veg oil. 75p per litre verses the £1.40 per litre price of diesel. its pretty cold ATM, so ive just been pouring 10litres of veg in a jerry can and then topping up with derv and shaking. seems to be running nice even in the cold frosty mornings.

P1150006.jpg

decided to get the electric fan fitted next.

so i cut and drilled a piece of flat bar.

P1150007.jpg

and bolted it to the rad using the holes with captive nuts on the sides of the rad where the cowl would normally bolt on.

P1150008.jpg

P1150009.jpg

i then lifted the electric fan back into position and marked where it needed to be drilled and bolted to the flat bar.

drilled the fan and then cut some tube to act as spacers.

P1150012.jpg

all bolted up and ready to bolt onto the rad.

P1150013.jpg

P1150014.jpg

P1150015.jpg

P1150016.jpg

P1150017.jpg

P1150018.jpg

P1150019.jpg

i wanted to add another bracket lower down, but theres no more holes with captive nuts on the sides of the rad. :thumbdown:

it does feel very solid, so i might just leave it at that. :?

tested the fan was working, and worked out which way the poles need to be on the motor, to have the fan sucking air through the rad. man the fan has got some power, its a lot more powerful than i was expecting and really pulls a lot of air through the rad. with the fan running you can really feel the suction in front of the rad. :thumbup:

P1150030.jpg

decided not to wire the fan up yet as i want to wait till ive sourced a suitable thermo switch, and until my carling switches arrive that im going to order in a minute.

and finally the steering bar guard.

i trimmed down the template to fit between the recovery points so that i could work out the position and angle.

P1150020.jpg

P1150021.jpg

P1150023.jpg

P1150024.jpg

P1150025.jpg

P1150026.jpg

P1150027.jpg

used a sliding bevel to get the exact angle i want the metal bending at and did a rough drawing.

P1150028.jpg

Roger Fairclough said:
Ben.

my plate is 570 mm wide. This allows room alongside each end for the recovery points. If you want it wider, no problem, just allow cut-outs for the recovery points.

Roger

ive measured mine to be the full width of my winch plate, which it will bolt through into my chassis. i will then as you suggest cut around the recovery points. :thumbup:

thanks Andy but...................mudstuff are coming out the most expensive out of all of them £47 for 3 switches delivered! :shock:
no way id pay that. :thumbdown:

cant remember what size i made the holes now. :doh:

will measure them tomorrow for you. ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whoops didnt check fully posted prices :roll:
:p
there are cheaper switches, but those carling ones do look nice

I have some surplus Carling switches, couldn't say what type (i.e. momentary, on/off, etc) till tomorrow because they're in the garage and it's cold out but if you can wait I might have what you need :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
I have some surplus Carling switches, couldn't say what type (i.e. momentary, on/off, etc) till tomorrow because they're in the garage and it's cold out but if you can wait I might have what you need :)
If you have a on/off switch and a momentary one spare and Ben doesn't need them Jon I would be interested please.

thats very good of you John thanks. :clap:

i can wait till youve had a look. ;)

i tried ordering from X-ENG but theres something wrong with the website and its trying to charge me VAT twice. :thumbdown:

ive sent Simon an email about the problem.

if you have a look that will be great. :thumbup:

ideally i need 2 or 3 on-off switches and one on-off-on switch for the fan. :)

Thought I'd brave the arctic conditions for you :lol: Brand new un labeled I have 1 on/off, 2 on/off/on, 1 red just the rocker no switch. I also have 1 front and 1 rear locker on/off switch which are labeled but you could swap the red rocker onto one of those to get 2 on/off and one on/off/on from that collection. I also have 2 blanking pieces, 6 of the click together middle housings, 2 end housings and a sheet of the stickers for the little windows on the switches. Don't bother asking why, I don't know :lol: PM me if any of that interests you Ben and we'll sort something out and then let Chas know what's left :thumbup: Sorry no momentary ones Chas.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Thought I'd brave the arctic conditions for you :lol: Brand new un labeled I have 1 on/off, 2 on/off/on, 1 red just the rocker no switch. I also have 1 front and 1 rear locker on/off switch which are labeled but you could swap the red rocker onto one of those to get 2 on/off and one on/off/on from that collection. I also have 2 blanking pieces, 6 of the click together middle housings, 2 end housings and a sheet of the stickers for the little windows on the switches. Don't bother asking why, I don't know :lol: PM me if any of that interests you Ben and we'll sort something out and then let Chas know what's left :thumbup: Sorry no momentary ones Chas.
Cheers Jon, I would like also, if available, the housings to make a two switch panel please :pray:

Ben, sorry for miss leading you on the fuel tweak I said, I really did think that the pumps were pretty much identical other than the electronics. Looks like a whole different Pump!

Glad you managed to find out how to adjust. With the intercooler and the fuel tweak you will notice the difference! :cool:

thanks John, you have a PM. :thumbup:

Beau said:
Ben, sorry for miss leading you on the fuel tweak I said, I really did think that the pumps were pretty much identical other than the electronics. Looks like a whole different Pump!

Glad you managed to find out how to adjust. With the intercooler and the fuel tweak you will notice the difference! :cool:

dont worry Beau, i appreciate you trying to help. :thumbup:

just wish it had been the same pump as yours, looks like it isnt going to be any where as easy to adjust mine. :angry-banghead:

i went in to my local metal fab place today with my measurements to have the steel cut and bent. theyve got a huge guillotine and bender, both of which are huge machines that will take sheet metal 10ft long and 20mm thick! :shock: :twisted:

i showed the chap the drawing and he told me that there machine will only bend metal to just past 90degrees and no where near the angle i want. :thumbdown:

so hes going to do it in 2 pieces and i will have to weld them together. going to pick them up tomorrow. :)

Shaun said:
Hi Ben is this link of any use to you ? http://www.toyota4wd.dk/Teknik/J70/Toyo ... %202Lt.pdf I gained easier acess to the fuel pump through the passenger side front wheel arch liner.

thanks Shaun i hadnt got that manual, i wonder if its possible to download it/save it as a pdf file. any one know?

regarding the easier access through the passenger wheel arch. why didnt i think of that! :doh:

mines got a 2" bodylift aswell, so i know there loads of room through there. thanks i think that idea will work perfectly! :dance:

ben said:
thanks Shaun i hadnt got that manual, i wonder if its possible to download it/save it as a pdf file. any one know?

You know thats for the wrong engine right? If you want to save it then just open it and click the disc icon in your reader plugin on the browser window or select save in the box that asks whether you want to open or save the PDF. Depends on what browser you use.

thanks, managed to save it now. :thumbup:

i know its the wrong one for my engine, but my mate has the 2litre engine in his hilux so will probably come in useful. :)

picked up the steel for my steering guard today. :dance:

didnt get chance to do any on it tonight as was busy fabricating things for other people. :thumbdown:

hopefully make a start tomorrow. :)

P1170001.jpg

this is roughly the angle that i will need to weld the 2 pieces together at.

P1170002.jpg

my winch remote's also turned up today, so i need to wire it all up with my new albright solenoids.

P1170004.jpg

bargain at £9.05 delivered! ;)

David Bowyer sells the exact same wireless remote control system for £47, not including delivery and with only 1 remote! :roll: :thumbdown:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180767617537? ... 3197wt_979

switches arrived from John this week. :thumbup:

decided to use the red switch for my glow plugs because there isnt a sticker for glow plugs. :)

P1180001.jpg

decided to wire up my new solenoid and remote's for my winch today.

P1220005.jpg

this is the box that contains the old solenoids.

P1220007.jpg

once i unbolted the cover i saw quite how badly burnt out they were. but theyve had a lot of abuse over the past 3 years.

P1220009.jpg

P1220010.jpg

removed the old solenoids.

P1220012.jpg

and wired up the new solenoids.

P1220011.jpg

so back to the steering guard...........................

i marked where the holes needed to be.

P1180002.jpg

and drilled them out.

P1180003.jpg

the 2 bigger holes in the middle are 2 clear the bolt heads where my winch mounts.

P1180004.jpg

i then bolted this in place on the truck.

P1220013.jpg

needed to trim the guard down as it was a bit too wide.

P1220014.jpg

P1220016.jpg

so clamped a piece of wood onto the guard to act as a straight edge.

P1220017.jpg

got it in place and used a ratchet strap and my winch to hold it in position.

P1220018.jpg

P1220020.jpg

P1220021.jpg

decided it needed to be cut down a bit as it was too big and the steering bar would have caught.

P1220022.jpg

got it back in position and used some pieces of wood to wedge it place.

P1220024.jpg

P1220026.jpg

P1220027.jpg

P1220028.jpg

once i was happy with the position and angle i tack welded it.

P1220029.jpg

unbolted it and got it on the bench ready to fully weld it.

P1220031.jpg

P1220032.jpg

turned the amps right up on the welder and put a nice big seem of weld all the way along the joint.

P1220033.jpg

P1220034.jpg

found a suitable piece of 50mm x 5mm flat in the shed.

P1220037.jpg

and cut 2 110mm pieces.

P1220038.jpg

to get the length i needed these pieces to be i used a square.

P1220039.jpg

welded them on.

P1220041.jpg

P1220042.jpg

cut 2 pieces of 50mm box section with the correct angle on.

P1220043.jpg

put them in position and then welded every edge.

P1220044.jpg

bolted the guard back onto the truck.

P1220045.jpg

P1220046.jpg

P1220047.jpg

P1220048.jpg

P1220050.jpg

P1220051.jpg

decided to use the high lift jack to lift the chassis up a bit and make sure the guard doesnt catch on the bar.

P1220052.jpg

loads of room.

P1220054.jpg

obviously the guard isnt going to provide much protection to the bar when the truck is fully articulated, but it should be ok in most situations.

P1220058.jpg

had a quick look through the passenger wheel arch, to see if i could get to the fuel pump so i can up the fuelling, but it still looks very difficult to get to. :angry-banghead:

might wait till i remove the fuel pump, if i ever need to. :think:

didnt start wiring up the electric fan as want to get a thermo switch fitted first really. :)

Back