Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a replacement 80

I know this is not quite the same but a little relevant.
I am with Flux and had to make a claim some years ago as my kitted out 2002 Defender 110 was stolen. It was a strange model as had every single factory fit option fitted to it as it was a G4 Challenge model but not in the orange colour.
After first reporting it, very quickly it was decided that it would have to be passed on to an outside company as i was claiming it was worth £15,000 due to the A1 condition of the vehicle and all the accessories i had fitted (all declared to Flux and approved) Flux said they can only assess up to a certain amount internally. This was very quickly reduced to £8,000 as this was the price that Glasses Guide said.
This got me going and i started putting together a pack of similar vehicles for sale elsewhere and the prices they were selling for. A list of the accessories and what it would cost to replace them as this is what i would be out of pocket for, and surprisingly they took all this on board but the outside company started to argue saying things like bash plates are wearing items and as i couldn't prove the full LR service history (the book was in the car!) that would be an automatic reduction of 15%!!! This had me well pissed off so i wrote a letter to them stating that i am a very stubborn person, and if it took the entire cost of the claim to make sure i got what i thought was fair then i would do that out of principle!
I was then refered back onto Flux and they were great as they talk to you like a human. Don't know who the guy was but he said "let me call you back" In the meantime he had called around some accessory suppliers and called the original garage who sold the vehicle and got the spec sheet on it and even got them to check the LR database for the service history and called me within one hour with an offer quite close to what i wanted and i acepted then and there and had the money the next day. So a big thumbs up for Flux, but i did have to go on the offensive to make sure i got what i thought i was entitled to.

Thanks Paul. I too have been shafted but many many years ago so I am on the offensive this time. I think that if you roll over then you lose. You have to be stubborn and write letters and give evidence and keep saying NO. I don't expect £20k for this, but I do expect enough to be able to go out and get something comparable and £1500 ain't going to cut it.

There's lots of 'wait and see' here. Once it's been inspected we can get the ball rolling.

Chris

Chris i've not been on for a week or so,so only just found out your very bad news.Totally gutted for you,all the work and equiptment (most of it nearly new)
Hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction eventually.Like a lot of members have said if you need any help from my part of the world just give us a shout.
I would be gutted if it happened to me,like you said its not just a Land Cruiser it is/was yours,thats how i would feel too.

Cheers Gary

Cheers Gary. Much appreciated.

Chris

Had a call from the insurer today. Went something like this: E is Equity, M is Me

E. I need to ask you some questions about the accident. You'll probably have been asked these already
M. OK go for it
E. You were in the car when it caught fire?
M. Nope. It was parked. I was in Glasgow.
E. Why were you in Glasgow, were you visiting a friend?
M. Nope I was at work
E. Who drove the car last?
M. I did on Sunday at 16.00 hrs
E. Did you call the Fire Brigade?
M. No, I was in Glasgow. My neighbour who is a Police officer rang me at 10.00 to tell me that the FB were there. A passer by called the FB so we understand
E. So did your neighbour call the fire Brigade?
M. See above
E. When did you last drive the car?
M. As I said, 16.00 hrs on Sunday
E. And what was it used for?
M. Err driving?
E. Driving? What sort of driving, where from?
M. Doncaster, does that matter?
E. When did you last see the car?
M. About an hour ago, It's parked outside my front door
E. No, before it caught fire
M. Monday morning at about 05.30 as I went to Glasgow
E. Did the Police tell you about the fire?
M. What police, there weren't any Police. It was the FB who were putting the fire out and said that it was an electrical fault and there were no suspicious circumstances
E. What do you think caused the fire?
M. Well I am not a crash scene investigator, but I'd have a stab at an electrical fault?
E. Did anyone drive the car after you?
M. As I was the last to drive it, I don't think so
E. When is the MOT due
M. I did it last week
E. Can you tell me the date?
M. No. Last week. It was done before it ran out and it passed
E. Was there any recent work done on the car by someone?
M. No
E. What would you say that the vehicle was worth?
M. £5000 to replace the base vehicle but prices are rising
E. Yes, I'd heard that. What did you pay?
M. £4100
E. When did you buy the vehicle?
M. Around Jan last year
E. Would that be 2010?
M. Yes, probably
E. Can you provide me with a sales receipt
M. No.
E. I'll need a copy of the insurance certificate
M. But I'm insured with you
E. Oh yes.
E. I understand that you want to keep some of the bits?
M. Yes I do, I have spent a great deal of money on this and some of the parts can be used again
E. Can you send me a copy of the service history
M. Nope. It's a 17 year old truck with 107k on it. The service book was in the fire
E. Exactly 107k or thereabouts
M. Yes, roughly, I can't recall that kind of detail usually
E. I'll need the V5 document
M. You can't have it. It's my vehicle, I need the V5
E. OK well a copy will do then
M. Will you send me a letter confirming this?
E. Yes, we'll send it to you home address, don't worry. I shall call Banwells to come and inspect the vehicle. Where is it now?
M. See above

E. Thank you very much for your time

Goodbye.

Now you know why there are so few unemployed people. They all work in call centres. Just had a call from Banwells who are coming on Monday. I won't be in, but they can gain access to the vehicle. They have said it's like that keeping the bits will be fine as long as they aren't in a dangerous condition. The insurer, it seems will take awy the rest of the body shell etc. Nice one!

Reckon that we could lift the shell off the drive train and leave a rolling chassis? Make stripping it all off a lot easier. Engine would need to come out of course. Thoughts on that one please.

Chris

That sounds like a conversation with me... :lol:

Good enough though eh? Could even try the line 'to save you time & expense of organising a towtruck etc, just pay me out & leave it all with me'... You'd get a fair bit from the scrapman too!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
not much connecting the shell and chassis. If whoever collects it has a hiab then it just needs to be loose? Probably too heavy for a few of us to hold the body up while you roll the chassis out the way :mrgreen: anyone with one of those loader trucks nearby who might lift it for you?

But with doors off, seats out, no glass etc, it might not be that much Jon.

Just an idea to save me scrawming around in the filth. Don't need a chassis although it's a good one.

Chris

Well I'd be willing to come over and give it a try with you Chris. Chassis can easily be chopped up and weighed in later. maybe a couple of poles through the door ways and one of us each end would get it done even if has to be done in small steps?

Ok, lads ta. Noted. I think it's time to treat myself to that 9" angle grinder. Roof would be off in seconds if needs be.

We'll wait and see what gives. Going to be interesting taking it to bits. I'll have a nice little pile of spares when I've done. Going took like Karl's!!!

Chris

Paul said:
4 x hi lft jacks?

I was just thinking jacks Paul, but the 800mm lift floor jack I have, lifts high enough for spring changes so with a bit of lateral support should lift one end :)

Yeah, I'll be there - packing a 9-incher already Chris :cool:

Currently fitted with an 200mm chop saw blade for taking pallets down for the wood burner :shock: Tres dangerous & not for the faint hearted!!! :mrgreen:

Chris, when I use to "collect" them, we never used a crane. We just winched them up on the bed of the lorry.

Also do not forget to claim for a new drive. As the fire will have damaged it. Even if you do not recover the drive, it will help pay for another 80 series.

Paul

Paul, the drive is really screwed

That's for sure.

Might have to look into that

C

Chris said:
Reckon that we could lift the shell off the drive train and leave a rolling chassis? Make stripping it all off a lot easier. Engine would need to come out of course. Thoughts on that one please.

Chris
Decent engine cranes front and rear? Should lift high enough to get the body off of the chassis. Do you want to retain the chassis, or will the insurance company be wanting it? As this is what the log book relates to.

Cheers.

Chris I'd bet the farmer at teh end of your lane could lift off with his tractor for a few tokens ? Give me a shout whenever mate, I'll pop over, what time do you want me down Sunday for roof tent ? Also I'm on lates Monday if you need for someone to be there when the insurer comes round, providing it's the morning of course !

Hi Nick, come around any time you like really. There isn't a lot that I can actually be doing if I am honest. Not until the chap has been on Monday. And I have no idea when he's coming. I have to be in London. I shall be draining the tank today and mostly cleaning up items form inside with a big bucket of soapy water! Not much car related stuff I guess. I shall have the bumper off and look at the winch to see if that will actually run. I really need to just tidy up and square things away. I might try to get the Quad round back to open up the garage a bit.

Keep in touch, don't want you to waste your day off on daft stuff. But remember your Marigolds if you come round!

Chris

Back