Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a snorkel.

phil the brewer

Evenin' gents,

As per title I am trying to locate a snorkel for my 120. It doesn't have to be a big name but really what I'm looking for is durable, one the more discreet okes and value for money. So not really asking for much :whistle:
Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Phil

There are normal safari copies on fleabay. Iirc they were about 100(something)

There was also someone here, think his name was aliantek, who was selling sorkels for the 120.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Sent him an email via his website.
Another option is to see how much a safari snorkel is in Australia as I have a relation coming over to the UK in November.

Cheers
Phil

Jeeez guys,

Seriously I should get off my ass
The 120 snorkels can be had for £19.

I am really thinking of buying a hundred of different ones, send to my brother to sell.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just get a proper safari snorkel from TBR it's only £300ish and not likely to leak. That will save you a £5k engine repair!

The cheapo ones will either leak or be too small for the engine airflow demand, and reduce the engine power.

AndrewT said:
Just get a proper safari snorkel from TBR it's only £300ish and not likely to leak. That will save you a £5k engine repair!

The cheapo ones will either leak or be too small for the engine airflow demand, and reduce the engine power.
Yeah, OK,

Gra.

That report is from Safari, and to quote Mandy Rice Davies "They would say that wouldn't they" but I for one wouldn't take the chance. :naughty:

Well my take on it is that, all the Safari snorkels are made in China any way.
As are the Iron Man.
Some are molded with the "Safari" name, some are molded without it.
The one that I fitted is, in my opinion very strong.
Maybe even drive a Land Cruiser over it ?, but you could certainly stand on it with 1 foot, and lift yourself up and down.
I recon the material (HDPE) must be a good 3-4 mm thick.
[attachment=1:3iwr0hkb]Unfitted snorkel (3).jpg[/attachment:3iwr0hkb]
[attachment=0:3iwr0hkb]Unfitted snorkel (5).jpg[/attachment:3iwr0hkb]

Gra.

Attachments

• Unfitted snorkel (3).jpg
    Unfitted snorkel (3).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Unfitted snorkel (5).jpg
    Unfitted snorkel (5).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 160
Maybe the big names insist on better sprcifications :think:

Some intersting points raised, copy v branded. With branded I assume that they are build to some form of standard like ISOxxx, BSxxx or whatever it may be. I've never actually checked that out but we all happily buy branded as we think it gives a degree of confidence.

On the flip side though, what are we really worried about with a snorkel? Is it going to let water into the airbox, will it break if I hit a tree and does it fit the profile of the truck

HDPE is much stronger than fibreglass so buy one made of HDPE and ultimately try not to hit a tree. Hit a tree hard enough and HDPE is going to break too.
The UV rating of HDPE, does it really make a difference with the UK sun?

Buy the right one for your truck and it will fit.

Will it leak? As far a I'm concerned this is partly down to taking time over connecting the the flexible coupling to the snorkel body and the airbox. I see no difference in the bottom end of the snorkel body in branded or a copy. It's a round or roundish piece of plastic tube. In fact the snorkel body is not the bit that going to leak at all so branded v copy at this point is a bit of a misnomer really it's the coupling that matters.

Whether you use jubilee clips, with or without a squirt of sealant for good measure the bit that really matters is the flexible tube that comes with the snorkel, is this piece built to a known standard? not sure on that one but the safari report does make an interesting point about 130 degrees rating of the coupling over a cheap example they choose to show.

Lets face it, a lot of off road vehicles have DIY snorkels made from drain pipes and all sorts of bits and bobs, they might not have the right diameter for correct airflow but branded v copy are the same internal profile pretty much.

I see no real compelling argument in branded v copy as long as it's in HDPE ,has been installed with care and diligence and the coupling is adequate rated (or insulated).

Just my view.

I have fitted lots of snorkels on landrover defenders,mosly people want "safari".i had one guy that bought a snorkel from ebay for £65.00 and it was identical in every way,even the box it came in was sealed with the same copper coloured staples as the Safari one has.
It has now been on the vehicle for over a year with no problems,,,and yes it does get used.

I find it interesting that some of the big Australian 4x4 parts companies have started making very biased youtube videos and websites like the one above, to show how crap the Chinese made copies supposedly are. :think:

They must see it as a huge threat to there business's, but then if these cheaper products are so crap, word would soon get around and no one would buy them. :?

So maybe there not poorly built out of cheap inferior materials, but are in fact as well built as the originals. :think:

My mate is buying a diff lock which is an ARB copy. Chinese made, and looks identical to the genuine ones, only half the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-Air-...Accessories&hash=item3cc3ef9b55#ht_2987wt_971

So ARB went to the trouble and expense of supposedly buying one, and then made a video showing how weak and inferior they are. :icon-rolleyes:

Some of the comments are interesting.:think:

Personally I think these cheaper Chinese products must be a real threat to the companies manufacturing and selling the genuine products, and if they were so inferior I dont think that would be the case. :eusa-naughty:

I would ( and have) happily fitted a chinese knock off snorkle to a 'cheap' off roader (£4k defender)

Would I fit one to a £13k landcruiser 120 to save £200? I'm not so sure It's worth the risk. I'd definately want to look at it first.

You can get remould tyres for £30 a corner, on the surface they look as good as bfg's etc, but I know where my money would go!

Back