Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT Woes

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Just got my Cruiser back from the garage after an MOT which required new discs and pads all round - OUCH! There was also an advisory on my tyres, two of which are barely legal. So, it's also going to mean a new set of boots. I'm thinking General Grabber AT2s. Any suggestions anybody? What's the current thinking on tyres? I should say that I want to stick to the original size as I don't want to upset the insurance people.

Have the tyres worn evenly across the tread? if they have worn on fronts more on the sides it would be good to check tracking done.

I have GG AT2 for last 3 years, i have been dissapointed at how quickly they have worn down in 20k miles, they are down from 14mm to 7mm
they are skinny ones though, 225/75-16 on 6" rims
They have been good in snow though and good on road and offroad (except muddy wet grassy fields on farms, where the treads have clogged - mud tyres better there)

i have put 265/75-16 BFGoodrich all-terrains on a 2nd set of 7" alloys for offroad use from now on
these are generally seem to be the best allrounder

I run on BFG ATs 265/75/16 and have recently replaced them with the same after 50k+ miles including off road miles. The old ones still had 4 to 6mm on them but one had side wall damage probably caused by hitting a rock badly while off roading.

I have At2s and have about 45-50k on them now and they still perfectly legal.
The 120 is a bit harsh on the corners of the front tyres. If they are worn, it does not necessarily mean the tracking is out. I've looked at other fronts on 120 and they all the same.

Good luck getting AT2s though - they old dirty rubber and from Jan this year, apparently illegal to sell in the EU. The replacements from GT are supposed to be good.

Crispin said:
I have At2s and have about 45-50k on them now and they still perfectly legal.
The 120 is a bit harsh on the corners of the front tyres. If they are worn, it does not necessarily mean the tracking is out. I've looked at other fronts on 120 and they all the same.

Good luck getting AT2s though - they old dirty rubber and from Jan this year, apparently illegal to sell in the EU. The replacements from GT are supposed to be good.

Crispin, I'm not really in the know about the GT replacements. Could you give a wee bit more information on them. Thanks.

A quick look on the General site should reveal the AT tyre as the "replacement" - I think that's what CP was referring to ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
A quick look on the General site should reveal the AT tyre as the "replacement" - I think that's what CP was referring to ;)

Thanks Andrew! I thought that GT was another make altogether. Shows how much I know! :roll:

I'm looking for 5 new boots too.

General consensus so far has been to keep away from Dunlop AT2 (what the LC came in).

BFG AT looks better (click to zoom) than the GG AT (click pic) - but the write up for the GG AT does seem to be pretty good.

Noticed the BFG site doesn't list it's offering for the LC (in standard size at least)... odd.

I'm still undecided... sounds like we're in the same boat.

GG AT2's if you can still get them have almost identical tread pattern to BFG's but 2/3rds the price and perform well on tarmac and brilliant in the snow, not too shabby offroad either.

If you are mainly doing tarmac with the odd muddy track/greenlane then I think they are perfectly suited. If you are mainly offroad extreme with little tarmac then full on muds are probably better.

Dunflops are only good on tarmac and can't handle wet grass very well, just ask Crispin :lol: I shall now run away quickly :D

If you want to stick to stock size you want to look at bridgestones they are highly rated on pradopoint and I use the dueller 840 as my everyday tyres. Great performers

I also use BFG AT for Offroad and they are great but you will have to go away from stock size for those.

The generals are a poor option to BFG and wear twice as fast

AndrewT said:
If you want to stick to stock size you want to look at bridgestones they are highly rated on pradopoint and I use the dueller 840 as my everyday tyres. Great performers

I also use BFG AT for Offroad and they are great but you will have to go away from stock size for those.

The generals are a poor option to BFG and wear twice as fast

Thanks for that Andrew. I'll have a look at them. Has anyone run Cooper ATRs on their Cruiser?

Pretty sure Gary runs Coopers - cant remember the size or flavour though...

Don't know how far you've got with this - but apparently BF Goodrich do in fact make the AT KO in the 120 stock 265x65x17 size. Can't get them for love 'nor money - but I'm told they exist. Getting hold of BFG today to try and shed some light on things... failing that it's looking like a new set of GG AT for me. £152.40 a corner is best I'm coming up with so far (fitted, balanced aligned etc.)... although I did see them for about £128 each online + £25 shipping..... here (I've never used the site though so can't comment on service / quality).

If you speak to BFG, ask them why they don't stock the KM2 in anything but 245/65x17 grrrr

I'd like some in 285/70x17 please - they supply them in the USA!!!

I'm on the phone to BFG.

Gary sorry - they just don't like you. Official response to the questions about why no KM2 was... "I don't know".

I'm on hold to find out about the AT KO ..... they say the release date for them is this month!! She's on the phone checking..... rubbish hold music....

Grrrr... yup.. the AT KO was supposed to be launched on 1st Jan this year... but it's been delayed.

Joanne (my new friend at Michelin HQ) has made lots of phone calls for me to find out why and when the new release date is... but she cant find out. Says she will keep an eye on it and call me in a couple of weeks with more info. She's cool :thumbup:

Hutton

if you need any tyres worth giving Stuart a call
Stuart Lavin
Nene Off-road Tyres
Address
BALGAVENY
ROTHIENORMAN
INVERURIE
ABERDEENSHIRE
AB51 8XX
01464 871484

I had fitted 4x BFG AT 265/75-16 from Donside/tawse tyres before Christmas @168 per corner fitted&balanced
I gave Stuart a call yesterday, to get a price for a 5th of same tyre
his price..... £145 fitted and balanced... :doh:
hope to go across tomorrow and get it fitted

he works out of a workshop on his croft

Ta much for that Andy. From other posts it does seem almost impossible to get BFGs in the original size for the 120. The best I'm finding in Keith is GG ATs at £154 a corner fully fitted which isn't bad. The place is only minutes away from me so it's tempting just to go with that. However, Inverurie is only down the road a bit so I may well give Stuart a call. Thanks also to everyone else for being so helpful.

Sam said:
Don't know how far you've got with this - but apparently BF Goodrich do in fact make the AT KO in the 120 stock 265x65x17 size. Can't get them for love 'nor money - but I'm told they exist.
Last time I looked, they were available in Australia but not here.

I'm very happy with my GG AT2s, but I do run them at around 36psi to avoid shoulder wear on the fronts.

Back