Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OKO sealant in non-run flat tyres as an alternative.....

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
...to run flat tyres?

I have recently acquired a 3 series BMW (2007 E92) which originally came with run-flat tyres. The previous owner has changed them to non run flat tyres a few years ago which seem to ride and handle very well. I'm happy with them and compared against a run-flat shod car, is miles better in terms of ride and handling etc.

However, this now means that a puncture could potentially leave you immobile as there is no spare (not even a space saver!). The PO has a couple of cans of Holts "Tyre weld" and a small compressor in the boot, so if the worse happens, you are not completely helpless.

I haven't suffered a puncture in many, many years but that was mainly driving my 90 on big fat AT tyres. The ones on the 3 series are 35 profile and might be puncture-magnets, I simply don't know so I'm uncertain of the level of risk.

I was wondering whether using OKO sealant might mitigate that risk or just make do with the tyre weld and/or compressor and keep my fingers crossed?

P.S. If using OKO, I don't want to end up with balancing issues - in that case, I'd rather stick with what I have at the moment!

I had mixed experience with OKO. I put it in the wife's Nissan and in my 120. The wife's car did not have a problem but the 120 was an awful time with balancing. I ended up taking the tyre off, cleaning the stuff out and going without.

When we got the tyre off the stuff had formed large mats within the tyre and was certainly in no state to self-balance itself. It had at some stage pooled and gone hard. The wife's though, when we changed the tyre a few years later, was still perfect and sloshing around as it should have been. I've since found out that the same happened with some other members who did the same group-buy.

Discussions with the manufacturer were positive and quite constructive but ultimately, we were non the wiser. They did send a replacement batch for me to try in the 120 but I sold it before I could.

Personally, I would carry a tin of the Holts stuff in the boot for that once-in-a-decade puncture. The cost of cleaning all the tyres out was painful.

Thanks Crispin - that is my current thinking too. As long as the tyre doesn't disintegrate, I have options........which I'm currently (sort of) happy with.

If I have a complete blow-out, then I'll probably have other things to worry about beyond the immediate replacement of the tyre. H'mmm, perhaps I should carry a spare pair of trousers too?! :wink:

I think that's the main thing - with it in you stand a chance of being ok if you have a puncture. Without it, on the hiway, often by the time you realise you have a puncture in a normal tyre it's because you feel the rim hitting the road and it's too late to save the tyre.

Balancing act.

We have a '13-Reg' Ford C-MAX Grand, it came with a can of sealant and a compressor. My wife got a slow puncture on a Saturday which meant that my normal tyre repair place wouldn't be open until Monday - so I put the sealant in.

It seemed to work, but I couldn't then get the tyre repaired as the inside had been contaminated. It cost me another new tyre.

I now have a 'space-saver' spare and all the fittings plus the compressor and sealant as belt and braces. There is a spare wheel well under the rear floor so it doesn't take up space.

Having had a couple of tyres blow on Motorways over the years I know that a can of sealant isn't much use as I ended-up with a heap of wires and smoking rubber bits. A spare wheel, even a 'space-saver', is a much safer option.

I put 'PunctureSafe' into my bike tyres and haven't had any balancing issues, I haven't had any punctures either (a puncture on a bike, at speed, is not recommended - DAMHIK :doh:). Maybe this stuff - or its equivalent - is the way to go (providing you spot the tell-tale green sludge on the tyre if you do pick up a nail).

Cost saving and fashion by manufacturers, a bad move in my opinion. Give us our proper spare wheels back!

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've used OKO in everything for probably 20 years now and never had an issue but I use the green off road one. Crispin used the car version - which was pink IIRC. Seems as though it went solid.

I don't think I'd put it in something high performance like a BMW. Yes, I use it in the cruisers, trailers, quad even the wheel barrow. But something that you might drive enthusiastically, not sure it's the right thing. I'd rather buy a spacer saver.

Ah yes, I remember there were two types. I did have the pink one.

I put some in our Yeti and had to remove it due to balance problems. Looking at okosales.co.uk for the green 4x4 stuff it says "Due to the inflexible nature of low-profile, high-speed tyres we do not recommend sealant be applied to them as imbalance may be magnified if there is a slight imbalance present before fitting. Not recommended for use on V, W, Y or Z rated tyres or in Low Profile tyres of 40 profile or less. " . The pink one appears to be for Quads. There does not appear to be one for cars.

I was pleasantly surprised when I fitted a set of new tyres a couple of months ago and on the advice of our Guru CJ I installed a litre of OKO in each tyre instead of having them balanced and no wobble has appeared, brilliant!

Thanks Ian - I think that is the final nail in the coffin for it on this matter. Pretty resounding when even the manufacturer advises against using it in my circumstances.

Oh well, I have TWO cans of tyre gunk, so that will be my belt and braces. Shame that I don't even have a space saver wheel well, as I would be quite happy to invest in one. And I don't want the hassle of a lose space saver in the boot.

Yep don't use it!
Can get the small air compressors which puts the sealant in too. I have one for when the winter tyres are on as they're not run flats.. incidentally it handles better on the run flats.

Is it on 18" or 19" rims?
Which engine did you get?

Yep don't use it!
Can get the small air compressors which puts the sealant in too. I have one for when the winter tyres are on as they're not run flats.. incidentally it handles better on the run flats.

Is it on 18" or 19" rims?
Which engine did you get?

The new generation of run flats are much better I believe and are probably comparable with "normal" tyres. Also is it true that the suspension on the F10/30s has been "modded" for UK road+ runflats? Or is that an urban myth?

I ended up with a 335d (auto), which is currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sport 3s all round on 18" rims and can't fault them TBH. I must admit that whilst 0-60 is a pretty rapid 6.0s 'ish, it is the in-gear acceleration that always makes me grin ear to ear! Leaves 99.9% of stuff for dead and all with very little drama or fuss. The engine's 286bhp is healthy but I think it is the 580Nm (or 425 ftlb) of torque that really makes the difference. Sometimes you just feel like your on the end of huge rubber band! :sunglasses:

I'll have to take the 90 out for a spin soon otherwise it may feel neglected......:sleepy:

I run a f30 335d x drive which is pretty bloody rapid (308hp) suspension is taller purely due to the x drive. Still pretty firm especially in sport (electronic dampers) but not modded for UK roads.

18's are a much better ride on the e92 and don't suffer cracking! the Michelin super sports are used on m3/4/5's and are a good tyre so at least not budget ones.
Make sure keep the pressures right as it'll chew them to bits on the edges.

Forgot to add... it's a bloody good engine and gives very little problems. You'll enjoy plenty happy miles I'm sure.

Thanks Gary - already done nearly 500+ miles in the week or so I've had it and loving it. Managed to get 39.2mpg brim to brim (oddly 38.1mpg on the computer - first time I've had a computer overestimate the fuel consumption) even though I've been flooring at every opportunity!

The seller (a work colleague) did say that the autobox sump, which is plastic, had a very small leak and apparently you can buy the sump + gearbox oil as a kit along with something called a "mechatronic sleeve" or whatever that should ideally also be replaced at the same time. Need to look into that ASAP. Seller reckons that it is around £400-450 to get done by BMW.

Yeah it's the sleeve the electrical plug goes through, it's locked from inside so worth doing while sump is off.

It's not a big job to do tbh but need computer ideally to set the oil level but can be done without.
Should really assess the oil condition and re use too as 'lifetime' oil just top up.

At that price it might include oil. Iirc it's less then 2 hours labour. I'll check

Parts are about £180 not including oil, thats a sump kit and sleeve. labour is 1.5 hours.
There's gaskets only available but need a chassis number to price it so right one.

Shame not near York tbh.

Back