Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ORM's Fuel consumption / mod thread

MuckyPup

I don't know if anyone else will find this interesting or not really, but maybe it'll be fun to keep track of it.....
I quite often have to do a run from Shropshire to central London empty with one adult passenger and I quite often have to tow 3.5 tons with two adult passengers plus two kids.
So both ends of the spectrum :dance:
Now, your job is to remind me to update this thread whenever you see me mod something (I can resist anything except temptation :twisted: )

So, 1994 80 series 4.2 Diesel Manual
135,000 miles typical service history
275 / 70 / 16 BF Goodrich AT @ 35 PSI
Zero mods

London run 365 miles (Satnav) 369 miles (Speedo)
Made up of approx 50 A road miles, 40 London miles, 275 Motorway miles
Driven at a steady 55mph / 63mph (it seems to sit at these two speeds happily on it's own, must be a hump in the power curve)
61.45 litres of Shell std diesel = 27.3 miles per uk gallon or 23.63p per mile :shock:

Presume your 80 is an auto? Decent fuel consumption but I don't know how you're able to sit at those speeds on the motorway... I guess I need to learn some patience :pray:

Could you add which fuel you used too - Shell, Tesco etc.

27 seems incredible.

Chris

Sound good on the MPG. Would be better if you converted to run on Vegetable oil if one does long trips. The saving made are BIG?
I know I do!

How do you cope with speeds below 60.... Im not a fan of getting overtaken, especially by trucks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Indigo Spirit said:
Sound good on the MPG. Would be better if you converted to run on Vegetable oil if one does long trips. The saving made are BIG?
I know I do!

Totally agree :thumbup:

As for speeds around sixty or below i often have to do that with a 80 on my trailer :x
Im not usually a slow driver,but get in a mess with 3.5 tonne behind you and its not only my life at risk.

Karl

I did 104 mph [indicated] for 4 miles in France followed by a worrying plume of dense blue smoke caused; to my relief; by grease from front uj being burned off the front box. No idea of mpg!!

Frank

Oops, sorry.
SHELL standard diesel. MANUAL gearbox
:lol: Could a mod please edit my original post to include that ? LOL :lol: 15 minutes indeed.....

As for speed, I've done over 210mph on bikes, i've touched 170mph in a car and until a couple of years ago ran a 300hp Celica that did the 1/4 in 13 seconds@100mph I LOVE speed
I've also driven company vans for the past 20 years where sitting at 50 with 3.5 tons behind you comes naturally.........

Paul: You have PM

Those speeds were obviously off the public highway!

I have fast bikes but never go above 60 :liar: well in fist gear anyway :lol:

Karl

Mods done. Ahh, manual gearbox. That explains it.

Chris

Just worked out the towing mpg;

60 miles A-roads semi loaded plus 880kg empty brian james trailer
60 miles A-roads semi loaded plus 3500kg full brian james trailer
50 miles A-roads part loaded
50 miles A-roads semi loaded
10 miles school run
Total 320 miles 48.95 litres @ 21.4 mpg

Off to Central London in the morning, with no middle box..........
Lets see what a straight through pipe does. :shifty:

Back