Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Coming on nice Chris.

Loving the new roof box. Finishes the rack off nicely with the RTT up there.

Cheers Karl.

Joe, different can, but reads very similar. Like the review says, it's not paint. You can paint over it though. Doesn't seem to suffer on slightly dirty metal like paint does. There are all sorts of oils and greases get onto the surface of things you fab up and cellulose or acrylic just runs off. This stuff covers everything. Don't spray in a very enclosed space though. Cough.

We did a test on this gav spray when i worked in some labs. this kind of paint has a chemical in it that etches into the metal its coating. better then etching [paint. In the tests they came out almost as good as gav if applied correctly.
stu

We used gallons of that Zinc rich paint back when I served my apprentiship with ICI. The stuff we used back then was called Galvafroid and came in a tin as well as a spray can. We painted anything that stood still for long enough with it! I don't remember it being etch based, but the protection comes from the very high content of Zinc in the product acting as a sacrificial protection. Once applied you can then paint as per normall. I used some on my Ifor Williams trailer a couple of months back. One of the mesh sides got pushed off the frame when loaded with fire wood. After welding it back on it was not so a pretty, but after a quick spray with the ol' Galvafroid you can hardly tell the difference between it and the galv :)

Last edited:
We used gallons of that Zinc rich paint back when I served my apprentiship with ICI. The stuff we used back then was called Galvafroid and came in a tin as well as a spray can. We painted anything that stood still for long enough with it! I don't remember it being etch based, but the protection comes from the very high content of Zinc in the product acting as a sacrificial protection. Once applied you can then paint as per normall. I used some on my Ifor Williams trailer a couple of months back. One of the mesh sides got pushed off the frame when loaded with fire wood. After welding it back on it was not so a pretty, but after a quick spray with the ol' Galvafroid you can hardly tell the difference between it and the galv :)

With you on the Galvafroid Steven, did a rusty boat trailer with it after a sandblast, finished with 3 coats of Hammerite. Lasted years in and out of the sea with no sign of peeling or blistering.

It gets my vote:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We used Galvafroid for years, on the cut ends of galv tray and galv unistrut etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=galvafroid

Both spray and brush-on.

We tended to use both, but the brush-on seems to give a thicker, and longer-lasting protection.

Gra

Last edited:
Meanwhile, back on the build thread ...

Wish I hadn't mentioned it now :lol:

I plan to swap the upper control arm bushes as they look pretty knackered. I pulled the spare ones out of stock, cleaned them up and they looked pretty good. Figured I paint them up and stick 'em in. I put a bar through the eye and gave the bushes a wiggle. Ha ha. Nah. Totally shot. ripped and split all over the place. So today whilst I had little else to do (really?) I set about pressing out the old bushes.

Well I had been warned. Damn they take some shifting. I red lined the press at 10tonnes and heated the outside up. Nothing doing. Let nature have her way for a few minutes and BANG! Bloody hell they go with some force. I am now on Nytol Herbal capsules washed down with Daynurse and Valium. Me heart's shot. Anyhoo, they are out and the arms just need a spray of something silver that will not be mentioned again. When the supplier finally gets around to lining me up with some bushes, I shall press them in and get them onto the truck. I am slightly optimistic in that they will improve a bit of the drive line shunt that I get with gear changes. More like judder on take up really. It's not props. Might be a bit of clutch in there. But looking at the control arm bushes I think that they may be the main ingredient.

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 19.02.55.jpg

when I did mine I gave them a good whack with a BF hammer whilst under pressure in the press, using a big socket to push them through, and each time they went ............................with a nice BANG!, didn't neet 10 ton on any of them though, think the max I used was about 8 tons

Andy

I had a chain wrapped round them to dampen them should they decide to fly off!

Oi! Remember I know where you live. And we're coming your way too

One job that I finally got around to is covering the manky old steering wheel.

I got a kit with a real leather outer. Bloomin' struggled to get it over the wheel. Man it was tight. Then just a question of sewing it up. For £14 I am pretty pleased. Feel nice.

Wheel cover.jpg

Stitching.jpg

:icon-cool: Very neat stitching Chris, I bet you darn your own socks too. :eusa-whistle:

WHYYYYYYYY?

Did you buy some driving gloves, a pipe and and a hat to go along with it?
Are you now going to drive 10mph below the speed limit at all times in the middle of the road???

They are the most horrible device known to mankind.

All IMHO of course, rant over......:twocents-02cents:

What is it with steering wheels, that they get into such a state?

Mine has 348k kms of use and is no more than a bit grubby in the places that get less wear.

Some I've seen are literally chewed up.

I agree with Yogi that I'd rather change a wheel than use a cover, but that one of yours Chris is probably the best covers I've seen. I remember the type with laces, where the lace eyes used to tear, and the whole thing would disintegrate. :icon-rolleyes:

What was so wrong before you fitted it?

What is it with steering wheels, that they get into such a state?

Mine has 348k kms of use and is no more than a bit grubby in the places that get less wear.

Some I've seen are literally chewed up.

I agree with Yogi that I'd rather change a wheel than use a cover, but that one of yours Chris is probably the best covers I've seen. I remember the type with laces, where the lace eyes used to tear, and the whole thing would disintegrate. :icon-rolleyes:

What was so wrong before you fitted it?

I agree, I don't know what people do to them. I had a car here with 350k miles on it and the wheel was hardly worn at all. But I've had others that were in bits with half the miles on them.

Do people chew them when they are stuck in traffic, or steer with their teeth when they are texting and driving??? Its beyond me. :shock::?:icon-rolleyes::icon-surprised:

It was f****g minging. So excuse me for wanting to make it a bit nicer to hold! If nice new 24v wheels were easy to get hold of I'd have put one on. But even Karl couldn't source a clean one.

Seriously I hardly think that this falls into the local auto store slip on vinyl cover category. Just been for a spin and it feels lovely. It is sewn on very tightly.

Back