Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Nah, it points down. Looking for Zips in the wire. You never know where the next attack is going to come from. Cupola going on the roof with twin .50 cals.

Hoo yah.

Its a reversing light Chas! So I don't run over your tent.

Stu, think I have really posted these before in the build, but here's some new ones. Showing the same thing....

P1010524.JPG

P1010523.JPG

P1010522.JPG

P1010521.JPG

No no no, that wasn't Scotland. It was Hungryland, Polish errm, errm, Svenkskitosh, err err I was on a massive overland trip with lots of adventures.

Bugger.

I'd have thought anything north of Swanwick was an adventure Chris :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris is/was your rear bumper powdercoated? :think:

Lord no. I haven't finished it yet

In between everything I was attempting to do this weekend, I filled the All Terrains with OKO Tire Sealant. I have used this for years without a single problem, or in fact a single puncture. as far as I am concerned, it's essential. Others don't like it. If nothing else it dynamically balances the tyres which for these great big rubber rings is good news. They pick up rocks never mind stones and being 35" anything stuck in the tread is going to have an effect. Instant improvement over what wasn't bad to start with, but now very smooth at speed. The whole truck treated in under 30 mins for £34 including the spare.

Also got the upper control arms done at last. I was feeling some shunt when changing gear and looking at the bushes and arms they did look stuffed. I took my spare set, cleaned them up with angle grinder and wire knotty brush and applied several coats of that silver cold galv stuff after pushing the old bushes out. Jeez that made me jump and bent the press slightly too at 10 tonnes.

Old bushes out.jpg

I looked at options for bushes. Milner, Pro thingy, OEM and Pedders don't do a natural rubber one yet.. Well from Toyota these bushes are £50 each. From our very friendly and useful internal source they were significant cheaper but I'd have to wait a bit. After a search I came across these. Looking a little dubious, I did contact the seller who replied very quickly each time I asked a question. So I bought them. This is a set up rear upper AND lower control arm bushes. as a set. They don't just do the uppers on their own.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230885729955?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They are NOT in Fife, they are in Taiwan. So what was the result? Firstly they came in 4 days. Yes, 4. Four, Quattro. Now that's fast. No import duty or anything. Well packaged and they measured up perfectly. They also fitted a treat, need only moderate pressure on the press to push them in.

New Bushes.JPG

As I mentioned on the maintenance today thread, they have transformed the feel of the truck when changing gear. Gone is the sort of thud when I let up the clutch and now I just have a normal gentle take up as I pull away. How long will they last? Well I dont know but I wiggled them in the vice with a large bar and they responded well. No cracks, tears or anything, just good bonding on the steel inner and out with the sort of resistance you'd expect. As long as they outlast a set of Miner ones, I'll be happy! A tenner each, that'll do for me.

Still absolutely loads to do.

Just out of interest Chris how did you find out they are in Taiwan? the contact details say;
CHEN-TSAN TSAI
flat 2, 84 queesway
bayswater
London
W2 3RL
United Kingdom.

Let me see now. Oh yes, that's it. I asked them.

There was some negative feedback here and there so I challenged them over it and I was convinced that they were worth a spin.

Stuff about additional charges and things not showing up. But many many examples of good feedback too.

So other than checking they're still there, or trying to flex them and looking for cracks - how do you know they are stuffed?

I'm sure it's fairly simple but for those uninitiated, including myself, what checks do you do when making that assessment???

I know it was Chas. I know. But there was no detective work involved. I read their feed back and said - just where are you exactly? I was skeptical about delivery. But 4 days and they were here.

Justin, 19 years old and 216k miles. They didn't really need testing. It was a racing cert I guess. I'd say that anyone in an 18 - 20 yo 80 will have bushes that would benefit from replacement. Nothing lasts forever.

The auto is a much smoother gear change and of course you get much less engine braking, so the upper arms have an easier life. On a manual especially if it's been used for towing, the bushes get a harder work out and consequently you can feel thunks, clumps and clonks in the drive line. It just feels slack. The props were fine, engine mounts fine, new lower arms fitted. Visually they just looked shocking. So poor in fact that I have not kept them to refirb. They've gone in the scrap bin.

Thanks - Mines got a mixed bag of genuine and poly, some are on the list to be replaced, but I was hoping I could do a check to avoid having to replace the lot...

Not really Justin. It's a a slow deterioration. I certainly think that when I come to do my next suspension upgrade, I will do the front arms in the same manner. any movement in there is bound to cause issue with feel, geometry etc.

OK Check out these puppies!

I have Nitrac grooved discs on the front and now for the back .....

P1010525.JPG

P1010526.JPG

P1010527.JPG

They even come anti corrosion painted on the non friction surfaces. Ooooh laaa laaaah! Genuine Aussie schmutter.

Rear handbrake mech looks to be in fantastically good condition and it holds like a new one, with plenty on the shoes too. But the discs look a little thin and the pad are almost gone, so hey, this is a quality build, let's have some proper discs. It's going to stop like a race car now. The non ABS set up with the Nitracs is, I have to say very very good indeed. You get the feeling that you're going to stop.

I have the same discs for when I do the bigger brake conversion on mine. Cant waitbto get them on.

Back