Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

PTO Winch transfer case information

Yaro

Country Flag
bulgaria
Hello everyone,

I am thinking to buy and install a PTO winch to my 1HD-FT manual 80 series.

There are two main types of transfer cases for 80 series - HF1A and HF2A. HF1A is part-time, HF2A is full time.

Additionally, the later (facelift) HF2As have larger housing, hence the rear shaft drive is shorter. This is mostly because these have a viscous coupling inside as well as a full/ manual diff lock. Mine is that type.

I am trying to figure out the following, for which i need your help. :)

My transfer case housing is a complete casting and there is no removable cover for the PTO shaft.

Hence the question -

Have you seen/ are you aware of a late HF2A (with viscous coupling and diff lock in it) which has the removable cover for the PTO shaft? If such exists, i am very interested in it. :icon-mrgreen:

Thanks!
Yaro

Short answer no, unfortunately. All I do know is that my 1995 HZJ had a factory fitted PTO winch when I bought it, but I'm guessing it's got the HF1A. It is a guess, how would I know?

IIRC, the PTO was a mini gearbox of its own, bolted to the side of the transfer box. I had it all removed, and there's just a cover now in place of the PTO.

It was quite neat, I used to like the way you could winch at different speeds using the gear lever, and with the driven spool-out using reverse gear.

Sadly, I was using a steel wire rope and unknown to me it jumped the spool and wrapped around the drum drive box, hence it crushed itself, smashing the alloy casing of the drum drive, end of.

I sold all the components of the whole kit including the broken winch, shame really, as now I've discovered they're like rocking horse milk to get hold of.

The part No. for the PTO is 36610-60090, if you can find one! As Clive says it bolts to the LHS of the transfer extn housing just above and to the left of the drain plug. According to the EPC both the HF2 and HF2AV (I have the 2AV) were available with the option of fitting a PTO so this may have been a market specific thing. The type of transfer box fitted to the vehicle should be on the VIN plate.

Last edited:
Thank you, guys. Based on Towpack's post, my transfer is also HF2AV, but like i said it has no removable cover for the PTO unit.
I know for sure there are HF2A and HF1A with removable covers for the PTO unit, but as of this point i would not trade the VC in my transfer (i find it useful on road for certain conditions, especially in the winter) for a non-VC transfer with option to get a PTO unit and PTO winch with it.

So i would need to find out if there is an option to find HF2AV with removable cover for the PTO.

landcruiser hdj-80 tussen bak met PTO.!!
€ 750,00
link.marktplaats.nl/m957424934

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

... According to the EPC both the HF2 and HF2AV (I have the 2AV) were available with the option of fitting a PTO so this may have been a market specific thing...
I am still trying to find a HF2AV with the PTO output. I also have HF2AV but mine is a complete casting, i.e. i don't have the removable cover higlighted in green on the screenshot below.

So any ideas or offers for HF2AV with PTO output are warmly welcomed. :)

80 Transfer Case with PTO.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One of my old 80's had the removable cover HF2AV, it was a UK spec 1994 VX auto diesel. I assumed all the UK 12 valve VX autos were like that but maybe not, others on here should know. Still have the PTO output itself somewhere but not the transfer box.

Thank you, Jon, this is something. I will look more for transfers cases in UK then. All transfer cases that i was able to find near by me with PTO removable cover are either HF1A or HF2A, but not HF2AV.

It may not be relevant but i am sure i seen a pto 60 series winch on ebay yesterday .

It may not be relevant but i am sure i seen a pto 60 series winch on ebay yesterday .
Thank you, Shayne. The PTO winch is in place. The transfer case (HF2AV with PTO output) is the one looked after. :)

Not a big fan of the PTO winch set up. You have to winch in neutral - ie with no drive assist. Id' prefer to have the wheels connected to the engine. Fine on the flat, but terrifying on a steep incline. I speak from experience.

Not a big fan of the PTO winch set up. You have to winch in neutral - ie with no drive assist. Id' prefer to have the wheels connected to the engine. Fine on the flat, but terrifying on a steep incline. I speak from experience.

Quite true Chris, but IMO it's probably the only downside - even if it's major, other than being compelled to winch from inside the cab, meaning no winch-bitch with a remote to help you :lol:.

An EPS pump on a switch for times when you can’t engage the pto. the Holden Astra H (Australian badged opel) has a brilliant one for price and reliability. There are more modern brushless variable speed ones but come with the modern price.

Back