Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Lorin, On the weight front, I'm probably just being a bit over cautious, especially as the likes of Kaymar/TJM manufacter them! I'm still up in the air as to which way to go, if I'm honest, but if I did go down the fabrication route, would ya be happy to sell me a copy of the drawings?

Thanks Lorin, really appreciate your input. The Summit Cruisers unit, is certainly a simpler option, just need to find out the shipped cost. Although the fabrication route does offer the ability to tailor it to your own spec. and also as Chris did, up the spec of the spindle etc....as one of my problems is wanting things to be 'over engineered'! an unfortunate trait I inherited from my late father, bless his cotton socks!

Thanks Chris,
These spindles are already permanently etched in my mind from your Grey Ghost thread! Which as i think you know, is exactly why I'm still considering the bespoke routes. Although, I didn't realise you had made additional ones. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm a bugger for wanting things over spec'd, and probably more so now, because our plan eventually, is a Suffolk to S, Africa trip. Hence why I'm considering all the options.

You need not only a proper pin, but something very solid to mount it into. Slee in the US do make and sell pins like these.

I did have a good search on Slees site, because 35s and bigger! are common place Stateside, so would be pretty robust, but it doesn't look like they supply them anymore.
I don't know if I'll actually being going down this route, and I know its unlikely, as you've plenty going, but if for any reason you end up doing more, can you give me a kick please. Cheers

Of course but it's unlikely. Given how much material I have to order in (it's not just cheap old steel; it's engineering steel) and how much work is in them and what people think they want to pay, it's just not worth me doing them Bodie. Now if I have a massive lathe that could rip 10mm cuts off at a time, that would be different, but taking a piece of stock from the largest diameter to the smallest for the bearings etc in itself takes an entire morning. A whole day's work for £20 just isn't really very attractive.

Exactly what I was thinking Chris..... Shame I didn't know you 25 years ago, my dad had such a lathe in his workshop, 3 phase though! (3 ton of it!) and when he died, we couldn't give it away, let alone sell it! Advertised it for a month, ended up scrapping it.... absolutely criminal!!
The trouble was, there was so much heavy engineering kit about, it seemed like every small engineering business was just 'shutting up shop'!
Now we're all paying for it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'll do a fitting up to an 80 when I get the chance. I was sold it on the pretext that it would fit an 80 with the standard bumper. If it doesn't then it needs the TJM bumper but its been on the shelf for years and AFAIR the seller moved overseas.
Leave it with me.

DOest it really need a fancy bearing to pivot on? How about some concentric bar/tube with some poly bush inserts. works ok on the trailing arms...

I have a kaymar one fitted, some pics as an idea of how it looks.
I was lucky to find a second hand one that another member shipped over for me from Australia!!

20160410_203518.jpg

20160628_130041.jpg

20160628_130045.jpg

20160628_133507.jpg

20160628_155240.jpg

I am so close to buying one of these but they bloody expensive, also seeing if a cheaper version might come up on MUD via Summit or Wits End!!!

I have a kaymar one fitted, some pics as an idea of how it looks.
I was lucky to find a second hand one that another member shipped over for me from Australia.

Hi Gary,
Could be the perfect solution..... but I did have a good look on the Kaymar site last week, but they no longer list it for the 80 Series!!

DOest it really need a fancy bearing to pivot on? How about some concentric bar/tube with some poly bush inserts. works ok on the trailing arms...

A flanged bronze bush has been my thinking for a while .

I did send a message to Summit Cruisers, I think via a thread on MUD, requesting shipped price to the UK. but I've not seen a reply yet! Although I think they actually promote through Facebook, which I'm not on.

I did send a message to Summit Cruisers, I think via a thread on MUD, requesting shipped price to the UK. but I've not seen a reply yet! Although I think they actually promote through Facebook, which I'm not on.
Just followed them on FB, below is the last message dated Jan 2020, but des give an indication on the price!! Following the same thread on MUD

SOLD OUT: No longer open for deposits
2020 80 Series DIY Factory Swing Out Kits
I am now opening up for orders on the 2020 batch of swing out kits. Please contact me via PM to place a deposit and secure your spot in this batch.
Kit upgrades for the 2020 batch:
The kits are getting CNC cut gusset plates, wheel plates, latch plates, end caps, etc. so there will be minor aesthetic changes. This will also lighten the kits up a tiny bit as they were previously right around 75lbs.
Pricing:
Price per kit is $675/kit + shipping.
The Hi-Lift mounting kit is still an additional $15.
Lead time:
It's looking like I can have this batch of kits out the door within 4-6 weeks, but generally I am quicker than what I estimate, but this is a much larger batch so we'll see.
Deposits:
$175 per kit (so $500 ($515 w/ hi-lift mounting parts) + shipping will be due at time of shipping).

That's the one..... problem is, there seems to be nothing really following on from that and that's 2 years ago. It'll be interesting to see any updates, although current shipping rates are pretty high!

Just remembered a company called AFN in Portugal and for the life of me cant remember the name of a company in Poland but do remember that a member on herehad some kit from them and another member who is building an Ultra 4 vehicle who has a fabrication company

Back