Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear bumper

That is a ARB rear bumper with twin spare wheel holders, it will be good but heavy.
The seller is unknown to me but appears to be a french web site. I have seen the name but not used them hence unknown.

I recently bought their front bumper and I am very please with it. Good quality and good finish.

That is a ARB rear bumper with twin spare wheel holders, it will be good but heavy. The seller is unknown to me but appears to be a french web site. I have seen the name but not used them hence unknown.

Unless ARB have changed their design, I'm not at all sure that this one is ARB.

In this advert the swing out arms are mounted over the bumper, whereas the ARB swing arms are integral with the bumper, thus:

4.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, the advert clearly shows the arms mounted above the bumper
pare-choc-double-porte-roue-toyota-land-cruiser-80-series-acier-.jpg
pare-choc-double-porte-roue-toyota-land-cruiser-80-series-acier-.jpg

Otherwise it looks good and the price is much less than ARB.

IMO, all swing out rear carriers have longer term problems with the pivot bearings, they have a high load with very little movement in the bearing, and they are prone to the perils of mud/dust/sand getting in. They need to have good grease points so that on re-packing the grease will force out grit ingress, otherwise you need to strip them down and re-pack every 12 months or so.

Last edited:
Clive, as stated in my earlier post, this is not ARB, it is powerful4x4 product imported into OZ from Asia.
I found this out when contacted accessoires4x4 last year when looking for rear bumper.

I already included a link to their site.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are lots of these for sale in Oz. As knucklehead says, they are not always made in the same factory. As such they have struggled with consistent quality.
Check out 4wdaction.com.au/forum to find lots of folks using powerful4x4 products.

Clive, as stated in my earlier post, this is not ARB, it is powerful4x4 product imported into OZ from Asia.
I found this out when contacted accessoires4x4 last year when looking for rear bumper.

I already included a link to their site.

Yep, got that now Dave, I think our posts crossed, cos I was operating from my SIM card, not wifi as usual....

But it does look like good kit.

This might be a moot thread as I can't appear to submit an order on their website...

If you phone or email, he speaks some English and may give you a discount. I ordered on the web and he gave a promo code to change the price.

Clive good spot, I will admit to not paying enough attention to the rear bumper, it was the rear lights that caught my attention and while ARB products are well made I feel they are a little too heavy so I tend to go with TJM due to the fact theirs is a slightly lighter product and I am trying to keep my trucks weight down.

The price of that bumper is probably a little on the too good to be true side.

Clive good spot, I will admit to not paying enough attention to the rear bumper, it was the rear lights that caught my attention and while ARB products are well made I feel they are a little too heavy so I tend to go with TJM due to the fact theirs is a slightly lighter product and I am trying to keep my trucks weight down. The price of that bumper is probably a little on the too good to be true side.

I don't take much credit for the "good spot" Julian, it's only because I have an ARB single swing out wheel carrier bumper bolted to the back of my truck that I could appear to be so knowledgeable :icon-wink:.

The fear I would have for a "pillar type" pivot is that there's a huge moment acting on that pivot, especially when off-road. I'm guessing, but the spare on mine is a 10' wide steel rim complete with a 305/70/16 lump of rubber with combined weight of some 40+kg hanging off a bar some 700mm long.

That's some moment on the pivot even with no more than elementary schoolboy physics as a guide... :whistle:

The ARB pivot is embedded within the main structure of the bumper (bearings top and bottom) whereas the advertised bumper has what I've described as a "pillar type" pivot, but I would presume that's firmly embedded at the bottom end, into the main structure of the bumper as well.

It is being dispatched tomorrow so we will soon find out if they are any good Clive! In the end they refunded the 95 euros delivery charge due to the faffing around with the website, which was nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very much looking forward to your thoughts on it.

It is being dispatched tomorrow so we will soon find out if they are any good Clive! In the end they refunded the 95 euros delivery charge due to the faffing around with the website, which was nice. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I would suggest Paul, is that you inspect the pivot bearing to see how it's assembled and whether it's greasable or not. If it's not, then I would strongly advise before figment, modifying it with a grease-point.

My ARB bumper didn't have a grease-point and within a year the bearing was shagged. I had it rebuilt from scratch by a fabricator, but I didn't pay attention to how it works. Now there's play in it and as the builder of it has moved away, I don't know how to dismantle it:doh:

When they are delivered, the excitement of the moment stops you thinking ahead, and if like me, you'll be tempted to bolt the thing onto the truck as quickly as possible. In my ace it was a mistake, and it's cost me a few bob in the past and it looks like I'll be spending a bit more on it soon.

It would be interesting to have an opinion from someone whose had a a trouble free 10 years or so out of their rear swing out carrier, and learn from their success!

Below are some pics (if the upload ok!) of my rear bumper which looks very similar.
It is a Freeways lattitude special (from france) & has been on my truck since 2008 I think.
Cant remember the exact cost but was certainly less than 1000euro, as you can see the left hand swing out has no spare wheel on at the moment as I only fit the 2nd spare when going on a trip, the attachment for the second wheel can be modded to carry anything really!
The arms are pivoting on what I can only describe a like a stub axle, which goes right through the bumper so its fixed top & bottom, with bearings under the dust cap you can see in the first pic.
I cant remember exactly but my best guess is that the stub bit is at least 11/4" dia.
The latching mechanism stops any bounce.
The only (slight) issue ive had is with the spring loaded locking open pin, if someone heavy handedly tries to close it without lifting the pin, the pin bends.
However it has had some severe use & abuse with 6 desert trips & several european ones, and no problems whatsoever with the pivots.
I believe freeways lattitude changed from the rectangular rear lights like mine, to the round ones not long after I bought this, so even if not from the same factory, possibly the same designers.
Its more like a Kaymar than an ARB

Andy

IMG_0766 - Copy (800x598) - Copy.jpgIMG_0768 - Copy (800x598) - Copy.jpgView attachment 19284

Attachments

• IMG_0767 - Copy (800x598) - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0767 - Copy (800x598) - Copy.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 243
Nice one Andy, you've had better service from that than I have from my ARB, for a lot less money than my single.

I like the idea of the bearings being accessible from one end, as I'm sure that should you need to service/replace them, it would be a much more simple job than on mine, where the the whole set up is sad wicked between the top and bottom members of the main bumper.

Well played, looks a good piece of engineering. In the 7 years you've had it, have you had to re-paint it? I've also suffered from severe stone chip damage and rust in places where there's been no physical damage done at all.

All in, a quite disappointing product from ARB IMO.

No, not painted it at all, & no appreciable rust, the finish has stood up really well.
I just added the rear light guards & the reversing light under neath with a steel protection round it, all in all I've been very pleased with it, no fancy dampers or the like, in my view, simple is best!

i just went outside & opened it & tried to see if there was any flex / play, and there was nome at all, when I go away & have 2 spares on, they are 285 bfg at's, at the moment it's got a 315 70 16 cooper hanging on it, and we all know how heavy they are!

Andy

Here is a link to fitting the 80 series bumper (including assembling the bearings Clive):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DnOJJiLogaM

And a review of the bumper on a 100 series:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGcw14YjwQ

It all seems fine but you don't have to look too hard on Aussie forums to find talk of quality control problems. However, its just a lump of metal at the end of the day and worth a punt at this price (famous last words)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers for that Paul, looks good!

Despite my complaints, the ARB is a monster bit of construction, really strong and includes a receiver hitch.

In that respect I have no quibbles at all.

All all I need is some time to myself to work out how to strip down the bearings, and see what needs replacing.

Back