Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear springs with AHC

Alrightchief

So I thought of putting the uprated 485mm rear springs on the LC

Now with tech-stream the rear AHC is reading within spec for pressures etc so my springs are fine, This makes me to think I should leave alone, but will it keep the AHC in good condition if I take some of the strain off it with uprated springs?

Theres no way of telling if my springs are 455 or 485 without taking them off and measuring them because Iv always wax oiled

What you guys think?

IMG_3300.JPG

Last edited:
If you are within spec then I would leave as is. Being under spec will lead to a lack of damping.

If you are within spec then I would leave as is. Being under spec will lead to a lack of damping.

Well that's the thing If it has the 485mm on and I replace them with 485mm no harm done and will last a long time. But if they are 455mm and I replacement them with 485mm then surely thats better for the ahc and a bit better for towing?

cant help with the question but thats one clean looking hundred underneath.

Thanks Karl I like to keep my motors nice especially this one, 100 is the best car I have ever had it just fits me perfect apart from the fuel consumption and because you can't buy them new anymore I want it to last as long as possible so it wants for nothing, photo was this years summer doing my underbody treatment.

If you are in spec now with short springs and fit longer ones there is a chance your pressure will go below spec. While not bad for the system it will give a less than optimal ride.

All the time it is in spec I would not change the springs. Wait until they sag and the pressure goes high.

If you are in spec, there's no need to change. The springs are marked with a painted dot, which you could be able to spot if you clean it thoroughly. Pink, purple or brown for the three standard ahc coil springs. Next time the neutral pressure goes over the limit, put in two brown ones (500mm), unless you always drive alone with no tool box even. I put in brown last time I changed, and still has the pressure at the upper range at standard height.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you are in spec, there's no need to change. The springs are marked with a painted dot, which you could be able to spot if you clean it thoroughly. Pink, purple or brown for the three standard ahc coil springs. Next time the neutral pressure goes over the limit, put in two brown ones (500mm), unless you always drive alone with no tool box even. I put in brown last time I changed, and still has the pressure at the upper range at standard height.

We only have access to the Pink and Purple ones. I do drive with no rear seats and tools trailer etc, (Not all the time mind) hence my above thinking. I would have to scrape off por 15 paint very carefully and I doubt it will come off to just reveal the pink/purple marker as its very well bonded to original paint, I would guess I would go straight through down to metal, the original paint would flake off..

Oh, you painted them - rust is not normally a problem on these coil springs, and they only last a few years before they start sagging anyhow.
For brown springs, just order 48231-6A780 and you'll have them. Or is it that you have pink and purple in stock and don't want to order more springs?

Oh, you painted them - rust is not normally a problem on these coil springs, and they only last a few years before they start sagging anyhow.
For brown springs, just order 48231-6A780 and you'll have them. Or is it that you have pink and purple in stock and don't want to order more springs?

If it doesn't move I paint it then underseal it! sometimes if it moves I do it anyway hahaha. Thanks for the code.. I have easy access to 485mm the 500mm would be a special order.. I just don't want to upset the AHC more to the point I want to look after it

Forgot to say, it's very easy to flip off a lower shock mount and pick the spring out. Just watch the brake lines as you lower the axle. 5 min job each side - then you can measure...

Back