Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recommendations for new tyres

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
Will soon be needing a new set of tyres. Dunlop’s on at moment- suspect the originals! Funlops het some bad reviews for wet performance.
I like a cushion ride and low tyre noise. Use is mainly tarmac , some tracks, sometimes tow a heavy T/A caravan. What do people suggest( I know this must be done to death but perhaps not with my requirements!)? Thanks

Hi Adrian, currently running Cooper discoverer at3. They were on the lc3 when I bought it around 18 months ago. I find them quite a soft compound rubber, and at the recommended pressures, they looked flattish, and the steering at low speeds was a struggle, even though the ride was comfortable.
I upped them to 32psi, they no longer look 'flat, the steering is great, still with a comfortable ride.
Not put too many miles on them or towed thus far, with on going current conditions.

I have GG AT2's on my 120 265/70's look good work good. Had Michelin Latitude Cross on before and really rated them but don't do the 70 profile. I've run BFG AT Ko and KO2's theoughout the past 25 years and they're good but a bit OTT for 99% road work.
On my old 80 I'm running Yokohama Geolander 015's in place of the BFG KO2's, good in all conditions and half price of BFG's. Don't get me wrong I rate BFG's and if I was goimg to undertake a long arduous journey on unmade roads loaded up asking a lot of the tyres BFG AT KO2's would be on my truck.

Yoko Geolandar GO15's here too, good snowflake stamped all season AT's, quiet with superb wet road grip and didn't slip once in the recent snow, a shade soft on hot roads when i up the pressures 6 or so psi which helps, seen them for under £100 but currently up over £120 when i looked, i would buy them again at the right time of year.

I've put a thread on the tyre forum here regarding Conti AT's under £100 at Camskill, never tried them but for a premium brand rubber at standard size that is cheap, might be worth doing some research on the usual tyre review sites.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great contributions within a short period as always - what a forum! V interested in the Geolanders. £107 on Blackcircle at moment. So tempted by that. Notice that nobody singing the praises of Dunlop Alltrek or Duelers ( both of which I think are standard fitment).

BFG obv top choice but sound like overkill fir my needs. What are the advantages of running the 70 profile rather than stock 65? Is rubbing an issue on standard suspension? Speedo issues? Insurance? Thanks.

Goodyear Wranglers on mine at the moment, but I'm going to get Cooper Discoverers when I can find an excuse.

BFG obv top choice but sound like overkill fir my needs. What are the advantages of running the 70 profile rather than stock 65? Is rubbing an issue on standard suspension? Speedo issues? Insurance? Thanks.
Slight lift, makes the Speedo bang on accurate. Occasionally very little rubbing at full lock, but nothing to worry about.

I have the BF/G ko2 265/70/17 and air them at 40psi but when I do change them and that will be in a long time because they dont seem to wear down and I have had them over 5 years , I will fit 275/65/17s ko2 next time as they look better on the 120s that I have seen fitted with them here , and still give a 7mm lift over standard tyre size with 265/65/17 .

Lots of helpful stuff - thanks. Don’t need them this minute but would like to have made my mind up in case an offer comes along . Leaning towards the Geolander 015 at the moment as offering what I need at a good price.

The trouble with mine is not tread- about 5000mikes left in them - but sidewalls beginning to show signs of perishing. So will need change before too long. So if any of you spot any really good offers please post. I will do likewise if something crops up.

Geolander is a great tyre on road.. and will go most grass and gravel things. Far better than the bfg on the road, definitely a notch worse than the bfg on grass and gravel. Entirely useless in proper British mud.

So where are you going :)

I have the BF/G ko2 265/70/17 and air them at 40psi but when I do change them and that will be in a long time because they dont seem to wear down and I have had them over 5 years , I will fit 275/65/17s ko2 next time as they look better on the 120s that I have seen fitted with them here , and still give a 7mm lift over standard tyre size with 265/65/17 .

Do they do BFG AT KO2's in that size Tony?

Have a look at Falken Wildpeak ATs.. Had them on my 80 for a year now, Cracking good tyres... Not sure if they do them in the size you want... But you can always ask..

Funnily enough i noticed Falken had a new snowflake stamped all season AT out couple of years ago, had them short listed for when i need to replace the Yoko GO15s depending on which are a bargain at the time, they were cheap when released but noticed the price of those Falkens has crept up in the interim.

We tried a set of Falkens on the (petrolhead) daughter's Civic and she was impressed, so put a set on the Forester for summer use, i'm impressed too wet grip brilliant and showing no signs of wear, bonus being they were scandalously cheap at that time from Tyrleader considering the Forester's summer size is generally expensive, about two weeks after i ordered them they went up £25 apiece.

Glad someone has tried the AT's on a Cruiser and is happy, thanks Higgy.

Back