Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removing Steering Damper - Help

Andrew Prince

I am in the early stages of installing my new suspension - so I figured that as I had a couple of hours free tonight I would make a gentle start and remove the old damper and install the new one. And spray more penetrating oil on the shock bolts :twisted:

So I remove the nut on the O/S end of the damper where it attaches to the tie-rod. But the bolt through the tie-rod bracket is not budging - even a couple of well-aimed taps with a hammer just made noise and did nothing useful. A glance through the FSM (pg SR-72) suggests that a SST is needed to split the damper bolt from the tie-rod bracket. The SST in question looks a lot like a bearing puller. :idea:

So 2 questions:
1. Is there an easy knack to getting the O/S end of the damper off that I'm missing?
2. Will a bearing puller do the job of the SST in this case?
I'm a bit frustrated to be stuck on the simplest part of the suspension swap :oops:

But my day won't be ruined, I got my MOT today with only the holed exhaust as an advisory :mrgreen:

adrianr

i recall Julian used a ball joint splitter.

keep clear though - it came apart quite forcefully. Dont want you to get a punch from your cruiser.

Brett

Country Flag
uk
The easy way of doing it is to use a ball joint splitter (not the pickle fork type) wind the tension up on the splitter then whack the mount with hammer & usually they pop out straight away. ;)

Andrew Prince

Cheers for that, Julian - will do! I had reserved the other one, so will make a quick change now before my dear wife collects for me this afternoon!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Andrew Prince

Ok, got the ball joint split and removed the damper from the "damper bracket" (bolted to chassis cross member), so success :D

Now for more dumb questions...
1. How tight do I need to tighten the nuts on the damper, bearing in mind that the damper has a rubber/PU bush which gets squashed the tighter the nut goes? Should I do it up pretty tight and compress the damper bushes? A little? A lot?
2. Presumably it doesn't matter which way round I mount the damper? I.e. thick end doesn't HAVE to be attached to the tie rod bracket, thin end to chassis or vice versa?

Thanks in advance for any advice :mrgreen:

Cheers,