Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Round the world in 800 days

Might wanna pack a spare head for when that one cracks, probably won't need it as they'll kill each other after a week of cabin fever!! Good luck to them :thumbup:

What's the betting that they get as far as the first railway bridge and he'll have to stop, get his Thermos out and start writing train numbers down :roll:

Chris

whats with the number plates? :?

Chris said:
What's the betting that they get as far as the first railway bridge and he'll have to stop, get his Thermos out and start writing train numbers down :roll:

Chris

:lol: :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interestingly, a Slovenian couple did around the world trip driving Toyota Surf 3.0 TD back in 2004.

svet.jpg

They didn't have any problems with car regarding mechanics, the motor was just fine during the two year trip, but as they were quite inexperienced 4x4 drivers, they went through some uncomfortable experiences:

08.jpg

Also at one point in Pakistan they tried to cross the river and the current was too strong, so they float downstream with the car and finally after 150 m the river pushed them on the side of the stream and the car stuck. Everything, including the motor was flooded but they survived, and the car survived too. No picture of the incident was taken, though. :whistle:

Some photos from their trip here.

They must have started there trip I overtook that smurf on the A35 near Dorchester earlier today, I waved but the didn't wave back!

It looked loaded to the gun holes + some more....

jeepmadmike said:
They must have started there trip I overtook that smurf on the A35 near Dorchester earlier today, I waved but the didn't wave back!

It looked loaded to the gunwales + some more....

Fixed it for ya! :whistle:

I'm curious about this sort of thing. So here we have a vehicle that needs an MOT every year, upon which licensing and insurance are dependent.

But it's not going to be in the country at its next few MOT dates. So theoretically it can't be insured or licensed.

So that means that in a years time at the very latest they will be driving a non-roadworthy, unlicensed and uninsured vehicle through some Stan or Africa.

How does that work then - pretty sure it'll break the law in every country they go to, and they won't be allowed to drive it back off the ferry when they get back??? They can't SORN it and still drive it, can they?? :snooty:

What have I missed here? :think:

If the car/truck is not in the country then would you need to tax/MOT/insure it (in UK)?

I assume you will need insurance in whatever country your in at the time though. I also assume it would need to pass whatever regulations that the host country stipulated for "visiting" vehicles.

I'm interested in the real answers too - as the above are purely my "common sense" assumptions. :?

Hey Gary

See here for loads of info on that scenario!

Dont know about the Americas and Asia etc but in Africa I would say driving with no tax disc etc is not really a problem. I SORN'd the car and drove with an expired tax disc for 6 months. Insurance is arranged in each country/region.

Only recently was stopped at a roadblock here in SA, Limpopo, and my tax disc CLEARLY showed it was EXPIRED. The cop asked me about it and I said "No no no, that the month I bought it, and it is then valid for two years, you see?" :lol: He bought it hook line and sinker.

I eventually gave up with insurances, and with most cops only speaking French, I thought (correctly) that I could argue my way out of any questions. I showed my UK insurance (which had been cancelled BTW) and just confidently argued it was valid worldwide, end of story. ;)

Back