Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SAS 100 SERIES

Greg

Some of you guys know that we have been planning to build a solid axle 100 series :clap:
So today was pretty busy, a whole sh*t load of wiring removed and the IFS components chopped off the chassis :o . I'll try to keep this updated as it progresses but ........

Todays work
IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forawrd to seeing your updates ...

are you going to use 80 axles ???

Noooooo The 80 track is around 5" narrower than that of the 100. The rear axle will stay in place whilst the front will use a custom made housing with an 80 rear diff installed. The 80 series balls will be grafted on the housing and 80 knuckles will be used with a Hi-steer system. Hubs will be from an OZ spec 105 so as to keep the same stud pattern front and rear.

The truck started life as a v8 but that is now out and a 1HD-fte is going in. This however will be modified to use the 1HD-ft injection pump. The plan is to develop a charge cooler to fit the unit and run a hi-flow hybrid turbo sourced from some contacts in OZ.. The goal is to reach a reliable 200 at the wheels :twisted:

No going back now! What gearbox are you going to use?

....mmmmmm there lies the hard bit :lol:
I'm leaning very strongly in favour of a manual box, Marlin Crawler rebuilt R150F is the favourite http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmissi ... lete/r150f :mrgreen:

..that said if I could figure out how to get it here without being nailed on duty and tax the full works Wholesale Transmissions Extreme A442F auto box with full lock up is the ultimate wish list....

Would the A343F box you already have not work? I was just thinking that they're designed to handle more power than A442F and don't seem to suffer the same cooling problems. With a bit of data logging on a functional one to get solenoid timings etc it shouldn't be too hard to knock up a control box for it. I think Rodney does valve body upgrades for them as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Greg

I'm feeling sick just looking at the pictures......Isn't a auto box stronger than a manual box? That's what I've always been told especially by the dudes of the Metropolitan Police (Hendon).

John

The Dark Dude

Certainly past the point of no return there Greg. We'll have to look sharp on the chassis front here though, the insurance nazis have been pushing me to come for the remains. I only have to pull the front diff out and drop the rear axle and I have everything I need from it.

Chris

Would the A343F box you already have not work? I was just thinking that they're designed to handle more power than A442F and don't seem to suffer the same cooling problems. With a bit of data logging on a functional one to get solenoid timings etc it shouldn't be too hard to knock up a control box for it. I think Rodney does valve body upgrades for them as well.

Not sure we can get around the bell housing mating issue with the 1hdft block :?: :?:

No specific data on that but I know in some markets the V8 was supplied with an A442F behind it according to the FSM so there might be a way of making it work without too much messing, or maybe not but it might be worth investigating? I have a dead A442F off the back of a 1hdt under my bench that I keep meaning to compare with the A343F in my 100 ...

Today the rest of the stuff from under the truck has been removed... Auto box, rear axle and suspension, fuel tank and the last of the AHC components and pipework. Hopefully over the weekend i'll get the chance to test fit the diesel block along with a manual box so I can get some measurements for the placement of the engine mounts and the gearbox cross member....then the body will come off so the fabrication of the front end suspension can begin :|

I will get some more pics up this weekend if I get the time

Andrew Prince said:
Who is this beast for, Greg? You or Ian? :mrgreen:
It is Gregs baby. I will be replacing the red car at some stage with a 100 but it will stay IFS. I've got the green one for playing silly b*ggers.

Ian

Andrew Prince said:
Your sig says you sold the red one though?
It does, I have and when the planets line up correctly I will fill the gap on the drive with a 100.

No John, it will look more like this, but the colour will likely be a burnt orange.

OTL-Chilli262.jpg

099a.jpg

KunanurratoBroome118.jpg

...and a couple of pics of the project..

Seems to be missing some bits :twisted:
IMG_0138.jpg

Ready for stripping, measuring, dipping, coating and rebuilding,
IMG_0139.jpg

Some shiny new chassis parts :cool:
IMG_0140.jpg

It's a big project you're under-taking Greg ...

how long do you reckon it might take ... or is it an ongoing thing

Sadly I only get to work on it between paying jobs :cry: so it could take a while...

....that said once the axle housing has been made and I have got the body off it will be a a lot easier and quicker to do the build up back to a rolling chassis. Whilst that is being done the body will be over to the paint shop.

Back