Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Subscriptions - forum update. Please read.

FYI Probably more to Chris than Cris as he sent the email (and I am pretty sure you checked this first) there are 15 pages of threads that mention milners. Could it be possible Cris to set something up like he does on the other side whereby when the words milners or milner's is put into a post it automatically creates a link to their site???? Might be a bit of a bargining chip for getting them onboard (I know more work for you sorry) similar with roughtrax (5 pages of threads) or opie (6 pages), or other companies we may approach that crop up alot in a good light????

Chris (CG90),

That's a good idea and can be done automagically with the forum software and some tweaks. Will add that to the list of things.

CP

Had a quick scan through of people who have posted on this thread. Is there supposed to be some kind of input from Julian V with this site after the big merge?

Don't know all the facts on this but thought I would mention it.

Chris (CG90),

That's a good idea and can be done automagically with the forum software and some tweaks. Will add that to the list of things.

CP

'automagically' that's a great word, was that meant or was it a typo? T & G are close on the keyboard.

Last edited:
'automagically' that's a great word, was that meant or was it a typo? T & G are close on the keyboard.

I once had a letter from an Italian Contractor responsible for repairs to a vehicle that had been in an accident, where he referred to the "accidented" vehicle!

I liked the new word so much I added it to my PCs dictionary! :lol:

Happy to contribute although if certain parts are still open with "non members" I would see no reason to become a member...

I've been on other forum that have a once off cost, do you potentially see this being better? I would prefer to pay once rather than renewing every year

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Automagically is a made up word Chas. I've only ever heard it banded around in IT.

Paul - Julian seemed to have been busy with work and took a step back from the forums. Not since from the early days has been involved.

I'm more than happy to contribute/donate/subscribe to help keep this great forum/club going. :thumbup:

But as others have said, I'd hate it to loose the feeling is currently got through members paying to be part of this club. :?

Phew, quite a lot of passionate statements on this topic! I think I get both points of view - am I correct in concluding that the two burning issues here are (1) there is a cost associated with running the site so how do we cover this, and (2) the concept of two-tiered or restricted access for certain members causes discomfort/unhappiness irrespective of the payment issue?

The two-tiered membership is something suggested by Crispin, presumably as a "reward" for contributions given? What if donors are happy to contribute and expect no special rewards, treatment or access? That would solve the cost issue and also avoid making some members more equal than others.
It would put CP in the (possibly) uncomfortable position of occasionally having a positive balance wrt to cost of running the site versus contributions. But I imagine we can live with that - if not, don't contribute.

Obviously my question suggests that contributors 'get nothing for something', which goes against the grain today I guess. But the likely contributions are unlikely to be a huge personal sacrifice for many.

My suggestion therefore is for Crispin to indicate the total sum required and then to reduce this as donations come in (I am happy to donate). If there is a shortfall, then maybe look at sponsorship and advertising but my personal prefernce would be to steer clear unless unavoidable.
I am also suggesting that we as members with equal standings and privileges maintain that status - i.e. no special access for paying subscribers/donors/contributers.

PS: I am purposefully skirting the issue of whether there should be a cost of running the site - I am not qualified to do so and I am happy to continue with the status quo, assuming that the membership can agree a path forwards:icon-cool:

That is a good point andrew about needing to know what it costs to run the site. If for example it cost 120 a year but only 1 person subscribes then what??? Not to fussed about an overage of funds as I know crispin will plow those back into the site. But an underage would just put us back here again in 6 months time.

I will say this once more and then not again. It is not about the money here but purely what is best for the club.

It is quite a difficult one this. This forum to me feels much more like a club than a forum and (as I did with the scouts and every other club I have ever been part of) I'd pay subs the questions are will this affect the dynamic of the group and is there another/better way to go about raising the funds. But then I suppose that this is where a treasurer has his role to play.

This imho is where it comes back to are we a club or just a forum?? The answer I have not but hope we can all pull together and suss it out.

AGM at Lincomb?????

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

:dance:SOLUTION FOUND:

Lets re-home Chris in a deprived area and apply for funding through regeneration schemes? If it all works out he won't even have to get out of bed everyday:text-givemebeer:

Sponsorship
This is an option if we can get it. I'll have a chat with Simon to see if they can help towards it. I know Chris has sent an email to Milners (thanks BTW!) along the same lines. Anyone else know of someone else? A while back I approached known people in two companies, who knew of us and trade they got because of us and referrals, and neither had the courtesy to reply. One was not on the east coast of the UK, the other was slightly north of here. I think companies are happy to part with money for adverts but had an interesting response to sponsorship. I'm happy to entertain this and see how it goes.

Here are a few that I could think of, although some may be a bit ambitious or not appropriate but I'm not one to judge:
Pedders
Landcruiser Parts
Roughtrax
Toyota UK
Milners (Chris has emailed them)
Steven Eagell Toyota
Opie Oils
TBR
Overland Cruisers
Westcoast 4x4

Would be nice to include a dedicated tyre supplier as well but not sure who to suggest.

Last edited:
I have just read through all the posts:think:

i personally do not mind adverts, most of the other forums i go on have them, but if they bother you that much then you have the option to turn them off by a payment.
sponsorship would be nice and i like the linky idea, so i hope the companies that profit from our recommendations will contribute. i would even substitute any discount they are offering if they would put this towards the club.
But at the end of the day if we need to pay then i will, as like all the others have said its a great site and has saved me a fortune with the knowledge i have gained by reading the many post/writeups.

just my two penneth.

Joe

im happy to pay ,ive always felt that i get more out of this brilliant club than i put back -what ever you guys decide on im sure will be fine with me . i dont think i have ever been a member of a club that i didnt pay some kind of costs to :icon-biggrin:

I'm not tired of the site, I am not bored of it. I don't have the black LC any more so don't ask many questions about creaking or groaning but still very much enjoy the social side of it.
I do't want it to stagnate from an interface PoV. "The other site" is stagnant from a software PoV and has no investment. We moved up from the free stuff to the, arguably, very best forum software. I would like to keep that going.
Very glad to hear that Cris. Firstly may I say that you have done a great job to make this forum what it is today:clap:, and I hope that you are able to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Really appreciate your time and efforts.

This forum to me feels much more like a club than a forum....
Chris, your right this is a 'club', built up by and for people who have an interest in Land Cruisers. I like to think that we're a good bunch of guys and girls on here, from all walks of life, that bring considerable knowledge, expertise and experience to the table.

As has been said, it is the members that make and shape this club, we are the people that have grown and contributed to the club being such a great resource, and the host of the biggest and best gatherings of LC's in the UK. But, the forum is the heart of this club, without the forum the knowledge and experience laid down for all to see would be almost lost, and the majority of people would be cut off from each other. So without the forum operating, and operating well, the clubs growth would be stunted and what we get out would suffer. Cris has done a superb job of getting us to where we are now, I couldn't do it. He has given his time and his own money to fund and provide the forum that we all enjoy, because he wants to and hopefully gets a warm fussy feeling inside. As with everything else in this world, nothing stays the same and Cris can no longer justify the money that is required to keep the heart of our club in good order. So we the members need to decide how we'd like to fund our forum, to assist Cris and stop him from having to fund from his own pocket.

I can see the valid points for both sides of the arguement and no doubt whatever we decide, it won't be everyones first choice, but we have to decide a course of action.

Subs: I can see why the subscription option has cause a reaction, annual subs are like entering into a contract, if you pay money for something you expect something in return, and I know we get a lot from the forum but at the moment we haven't had to fund it, and people do not like having to start paying for a service that up to that point had been 'free' to them. Entering a contract is formal, it can change the relationship and I think that is whats causing some issues.

My suggestion therefore is for Crispin to indicate the total sum required and then to reduce this as donations come in (I am happy to donate). If there is a shortfall, then maybe look at sponsorship and advertising but my personal prefernce would be to steer clear unless unavoidable.
I am also suggesting that we as members with equal standings and privileges maintain that status - i.e. no special access for paying subscribers/donors/contributers.
My preference is similar to Andrew's, donations are how I'd like to go. I know it doesn't give Cris security of predicting the amounts coming in to fund the overheads, but it keeps things informal. If you feel you need to give something back you donate. I know this has worked in the past (I'll hold my hands up that I didn't donate, I think I completely missed the request :oops: I think I was out of the country on a trip), with that in mind I'd suggest pining the request to the top of the forum and PM'ing people to let them know funds are required. As has been said, it may be the same people donating each time, but it maybe worth a go. After all many people seem happy to fund the forum in one way or another.

I have no idea of the forum overheads, so perhaps Cris could give us some data to put us in the picture. "Guys I need to buy some plug in's for £100, our current funds won't cover it, so could I have some donations please?" Something like that, and then let us know if we don't make the required funds.

If we were to generate a surplus of funds, I personally would have no issue with Cris taking back the financial debt that he has incurred thus far.

Ad's & Sponsorship: I don't like ad's that break up the flow of posts, like MUD. Other methods of recommended suppliers advertising on the forum wouldn't bother me, but one of my concerns with this method is that it may generate a lot of work, consuming precious time to obtain and manage the advertising. This would add to Cris's burden and work load, possibly complicating the matter.

As Cris has said, we are tied into a contract for the time being, which Cris has entered into with the forum and clubs best interests at heart. This allows us to enjoy the stable platform that we all enjoy. Going forward, perhaps when we reach the end of the contract we could look to moving the forum onto one of the free hostings offered by club members, in an effort to reduce the overall forum running costs. If this is a practical suggestion?

Whatever we decide, I'm happy to contribute to the running cost of the heart of our club.

Maybe we'll end up with poll to get a consensus of opinion and course of action? But that course of action needs to be workable and viable for Cris.

I'm still quite new here and find it a great forum, good people and good advice. coming from a branch of the other (itoc) where members had the option of a one off fee to become a 'lifetime' member (ironic when you get banned still lol) it didn't create any divide, you got access to a couple of extras but those areas were very rarely used tbh, got a sticker too! I'm not saying it's the way forward as I imagine it provides a short term solution anyway. There's advertising on that site and it's not over powering or in your face, a box in the top corner with an advert in that you can click onto. Some of the companies that have been listed have surely seen a lot of trade from members here?
I personally don't mind if there's adverts, if it means the companies we spend our hard earned with pay for it here is it a bad thing?

.... But then I suppose that this is where a treasurer has his role to play.

This imho is where it comes back to are we a club or just a forum??

AGM at Lincomb?????
It is an online web community Chris, and thankfully has no treasurer or committee members to argue with each other.

Here are a few that I could think of....
Pedders
Landcruiser Parts
Roughtrax
Toyota UK
Steven Eagell Toyota
Opie Oils
TBR
Overland Cruisers
Westcoast 4x4
Good start Rob, they could all be approached and asked if they would give discounts to paid up forum members. Crispin could then create a section for these guys to post their offers in that only subscribers could see :thumbup:

Here are a few that I could think of, although some may be a bit ambitious or not appropriate but I'm not one to judge:
Pedders
Landcruiser Parts
Roughtrax
Toyota UK
Steven Eagell Toyota
Opie Oils
TBR
Overland Cruisers
Westcoast 4x4

Would be nice to include a dedicated tyre supplier as well but not sure who to suggest.

Thanks Rob,

I'll add them onto the list. Should get something out this weekend.

Back