Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota 76 Series Land Cruiser Wagon or Hilux

Baylin

Country Flag
australia
Hello everyone!

I'm new here so I don't know if this is the right thread or not - sorry if it is. Next year I am looking at either buying a brand new 76 series Land Cruiser wagon or an SR5 Hilux. I am on the fence between the two and I can't decide.

The LC76 is much tougher and far more capable off-road in my opinion. I really quite like the way it looks and the V8 is fantastic. The interior however is quite 'bare bones' and is a bit of a let down. I would have to get a new center console and a new sound system and what not but I really like the way the LC's feel to drive. I think I would also find more use for the extra space within the wagon rather than the tray in the hilux. The LC76 is also far easier to self service I believe as it is a more simple design and has less electronic and such.

The Hilux isn't as tough and I feel they are getting weaker as time goes on but they definitely aren't fragile, I just feel as if the Land Cruiser will last longer. The exterior is also quite nice however I think I prefer the LC76 at the moment. The Hilux also has a slower and weaker motor - it is still very capable but it's not like the Land Cruiser's V8. The interior is a lot nicer and it has a 6th gear (which I hear rumour the LC might be getting soon). The turning circle, surprisingly is larger than the LC76 as well, which will make it slightly harder to drive. The Hilux is however far more fuel efficient than the LC76.

I am not really concerned with the cost, I am just looking for a car that will do anything I ask and will still be with me in 10 to 20 years. I will be doing quite a lot of highway driving but I also want to get into 4WD. Which one would I get most enjoyment from and will serve me better. I am currently 17 and am planning on going into the Airforce and doing salary sacrifice so money will not be a major issue - to me at least - I just want to spend it well.

Land Cruiser 76 series
maxresdefault.jpg

Hilux
2016-HiLux-SR5-red-front-001-1-of-1-1.jpg

Hi and welcome

If we could get the 76 more easily in the UK and it had an automatic gearbox I would buy one over the Hilux
But we don't, so I drove a 3litre hilux with Steinbauer chip for more power

You are lucky in Australia to have the choice :)

Our hilux has been great and done a few big trips in it, it has performed better than our LC Colorado (pardon) 90 series on road, and overall better off-road too

Hi and welcome

If we could get the 76 more easily in the UK and it had an automatic gearbox I would buy one over the Hilux
But we don't, so I drove a 3litre hilux with Steinbauer chip for more power

You are lucky in Australia to have the choice :)

Our hilux has been great and done a few big trips in it, it has performed better than our LC Colorado (pardon) 90 series on road, and overall better off-road too

Thanks. I did do some math and the Hilux is at least $25000 cheaper. It does do everything I want to, the LC just does some things much better but also some much worse. So I might buy the hilux and upgrade in future if I find it necessary.

HI

You may know this guy already
https://www.youtube.com/user/4xforum/videos

Worth following, he'd just been working on a Troopie. I'm guess your probably need to the same amount of work on a 76.

G.
Thanks. I did see that guy. I don't really want to go all out like he has, I just want a nice comfortable and practical interior that at least has a center console you can lean on and more than one cup holder.

If I were in your shoes I would get the V8. The Hilux doesn't have one. Game over.

Bumped into a guy waiting for the Channel Tunnel and he had upgraded to the 200 V8 and loved it. Said it was pretty good on fuel for its size too.

You can add all manner of creature comforts that you like tailored to your needs relatively cheaply. A V8 transplant into a Hilux is going to be tricky.

Cupholders? What are they? I have three cubby boxes that I just fill with cr@p.

:) :twocents-02cents:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A modern Hilux is built to beat a Nissan Navara - a Navara chassis is likely to snap in half before it's time to replace the floor mats so it doesn't take much beating .
A Landcruiser is built to beat everything when it comes to being tough and in a world of enforced tolerance with zero tolerance for anything not effeminate I think the LC76 is likely to be the last mass produced true 4x4 the world will ever see .

V8 mate no competition .

A modern Hilux is built to beat a Nissan Navara - a Navara chassis is likely to snap in half before it's time to replace the floor mats so it doesn't take much beating .
A Landcruiser is built to beat everything when it comes to being tough and in a world of enforced tolerance with zero tolerance for anything not effeminate I think the LC76 is likely to be the last mass produced true 4x4 the world will ever see .

V8 mate no competition .

Yeah I'm definitely going to buy one but for first car I might go with the Hilux just because it is so much cheaper. Then later down the track, maybe 3 or 4 years I'll get the LC76 because it is so much better. For a first car though it is a massive money sink.

If I were in your shoes I would get the V8. The Hilux doesn't have one. Game over.

Bumped into a guy waiting for the Channel Tunnel and he had upgraded to the 200 V8 and loved it. Said it was pretty good on fuel for its size too.

You can add all manner of creature comforts that you like tailored to your needs relatively cheaply. A V8 transplant into a Hilux is going to be tricky.

Cupholders? What are they? I have three cubby boxes that I just fill with cr@p.

:) :twocents-02cents:

Do you know any good places to go or things to look at to make the interior more comfortable? I plan on having this car a long, long time and I want it to be a family vehicle as well.

Sorry Baylin I don't, maybe @Ben could help with that. What I would say is that you are in the country with the most after market products for the landcruiser so this shouldn't be a problem. Ben is arguably the greatest authority on 70 series trucks on this forum.

Sorry Baylin I don't, maybe @Ben could help with that. What I would say is that you are in the country with the most after market products for the landcruiser so this shouldn't be a problem. Ben is arguably the greatest authority on 70 series trucks on this forum.

Thanks!

Thanks Rich. ;)

The 76 is the tougher and better vehicle of the 2, of that I have no doubt.

The trade off is comfort!

According to Toyota marketing, if you're shopping for a LandCruiser and you want comfort, you buy a 200 or Prado, the 70 is a work vehicle and basic with it. :ugeek:

Where as the Hi-lux will be much more comfortable and nicer to drive on the road. :)

I can understand the attraction of buying a brand new 70, I really can! I've been close myself a few times. :shifty:

But do you really want to put yourself in that much debt at 17? (presuming you havent got $60-70k in the bank)

You would be far better getting on the property ladder. A house is an asset where as a vehicle (a new one anyway) is a liability. :|

If you do end up getting a 76 theres a few companies making products to make the interior a bit comfier.

The oldest one is this one:

http://www.consoles.com.au/Toyota_Land79_choose_model.htm

Theres also a few Facebook based, one man companies making some nice products too. :thumbup:

Thanks Rich. ;)

The 76 is the tougher and better vehicle of the 2, of that I have no doubt.

The trade off is comfort!

According to Toyota marketing, if you're shopping for a LandCruiser and you want comfort, you buy a 200 or Prado, the 70 is a work vehicle and basic with it. :ugeek:

Where as the Hi-lux will be much more comfortable and nicer to drive on the road. :)

I can understand the attraction of buying a brand new 70, I really can! I've been close myself a few times. :shifty:

But do you really want to put yourself in that much debt at 17? (presuming you havent got $60-70k in the bank)

You would be far better getting on the property ladder. A house is an asset where as a vehicle (a new one anyway) is a liability. :|

If you do end up getting a 76 theres a few companies making products to make the interior a bit comfier.

The oldest one is this one:

http://www.consoles.com.au/Toyota_Land79_choose_model.htm

Theres also a few Facebook based, one man companies making some nice products too. :thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah I do understand its a huge investment at 17-18 but I want something I can buy and not worry about for ages which both can do but the LC76 will do better. A house isn't a massive concern for me at the moment (I know it should, for a fall back at minimum) but the Airforce will provide me with accommodation for my entire period of service and if I do salary sacrifice I don't have to pay GST or anything. The Hilux would be far better in terms of budget though - it is a minimum of 20-25K cheaper so I think I will go for that to start off, the LC76 was really enticing though.

I do feel that the LC76 should be more comfortable than it is though since its a wagon and would be used for family use for most of sales. I don't want a 200 because its an automatic and not great for a first car.... plus it's far out of my budget (95K for GXL).

These are just dreams and ideas at this stage, I'm just trying to educate myself, if at least just for interest. If everything goes ahead and I get into the Airforce, then I will be able to afford the Hilux at least.

Thank you so much for your time!

Its worth considering getting a property while your still young, even if you dont live in it. You could get a unit and rent it out. :ugeek:

I wish I could have got on the property ladder years ago. I'm 30 now and although I've finally saved up a big enough deposit for a $500-$600k house, now my wife is on maternity leave the bank wont give us a mortgage. So we will stuck renting until the middle of next year. :icon-sad:

Its worth considering getting a property while your still young, even if you dont live in it. You could get a unit and rent it out. :ugeek:

I wish I could have got on the property ladder years ago. I'm 30 now and although I've finally saved up a big enough deposit for a $500-$600k house, now my wife is on maternity leave the bank wont give us a mortgage. So we will stuck renting until the middle of next year. :icon-sad:

Thanks for the advice. A house or some property is definitely on the list. They should be the only two major investments in the future so hopefully fingers crossed, everything turns out alright.

Would putting a snorkel on the Hilux help with fuel efficiency and engine life-span?

I don't think you will call the new 76 comfortable until you spend an extra $20,000 on this :

http://www.jmacx.com.au/coil-conversion-kit.html

I would prefer to offer a large amount of money to Ben for his wagon with coils in place already.

Or a Patrol with a 6.0 LS swap.

I actually don't mind the standard suspension. I was raised in big, bumpy Toyota's so I'm probably used to it :tonguewink: But that kit would be nice... if it wasn't 20K :tired::tongueclosed:

I'm not sure I like the brand new hilux, much prefer the previous model for looks, the 2.4 diesel from what I've heard is a bit under powered.
It'll be a hilux that replaces the 80 tbh.

Would I get a hilux (even a new one) over a 76, yes I would but purely as it would suit my use better.

I'm with Ben about property though, bought my first house at 20, moved in on my 21st and never looked back.
I've got friends who can't get on the property ladder due to the deposit they need (I'm 35). We're looking at houses and plan to move within the next couple of years to a bigger garage lol.

Are all hilux/tacoma limited to the 2.4 engine? Didnt some markets get a 3.0?

Back