Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Sequoia

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hey chaps, drove from San Fransisco to Lake Tahoe in a Sequoia this weekend. What a comfy truck it was. Petrol Auto but hey gas is only a little over $3 a gallon. Never seen one before, but what wasn't to like. I'm not after one, but do they ever pop up here? Andy - why haven't you got one?

Chris

Good answer Mr L. Good answer. But when has that ever bothered you. Mr Tahoe-Blaser. I'm sure they must do a 1.0l diesel version.

Chris

just let me see the RHD version with the V8 diesel and I'll be there!!!

Andy

I bet you could drop an oil burner in there out a 24 v auto. The RHD conversion might take a little more effort.

C

Never seen one over here, guess if you really want one you'll have to import them... I'm sure they also have the 5.7 V8 Diesel that's in the 200 series as well. They are very nice inside and out, and you can drive in both 2wd and 4wd so power and economy are saved.

I have to say, if you're not planning on off roading, it's a better ride than the 200 series. I like how the rear seats fold down so you don't loose any upright space. Also like how the rear window slides down into the lower part of the tailgate.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just drooled over the Sequoia on the US Toyota website.......a lovely truck/car.

Is it the same platform as a 200 or is it even bigger?

Just drooled over the Sequoia on the US Toyota website.......a lovely truck/car.

Is it the same platform as a 200 or is it even bigger?

THe Sequoia is considerably bigger than the 200 and if you were at the last Lincomb week end you may have seen my Tundra truck there. The Sequoia and the Tundra use the same body panels and share the same power plant. As of yet as far as i know and I am open to being corrected neither the Sequoia nor the Tundra are manufactured in RHD and both are made in the States primarily for the US Market. I would be cautious to take a Sequoia off road and if I did it would be more soft off road. Neither the Sequoia nor the TUNDRA are suitable for the UK as they are just so big. I struggle to fit mine in a car parking bay let alone a green lane.

I love my truck but the sheer size and prohibitive cost of fuel are big dampers on owning such big vehicles especially in the UK.

THe Sequoia is considerably bigger than the 200 and if you were at the last Lincomb week end you may have seen my Tundra truck there. The Sequoia and the Tundra use the same body panels and share the same power plant. As of yet as far as i know and I am open to being corrected neither the Sequoia nor the Tundra are manufactured in RHD and both are made in the States primarily for the US Market. I would be cautious to take a Sequoia off road and if I did it would be more soft off road. Neither the Sequoia nor the TUNDRA are suitable for the UK as they are just so big. I struggle to fit mine in a car parking bay let alone a green lane.

I love my truck but the sheer size and prohibitive cost of fuel are big dampers on owning such big vehicles especially in the UK.

Is your tundra a Diesel mate, how well is it on fuel? Was looking at replacing my collie with a f250 Dually the other day but the thing struggles to get in two digit MPG figures, sweet ride though...

The Sequioa I was in (and there were lots) was nothing like as big as that monster. It was like a Hundee crossed with a sort of Surf body style. I think the back tailgate was off a Hundee as were the lights. It was a pretty standard thing. Maybe they have changed the model since this one. It was just very roomy and comfortable.

[h=1]Just some stats Tundra vs Sequoia

2011 Toyota
Sequoia Platinum vs. 2011 Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited[/h]

Winner[h=2]Toyota Sequoia Platinum[/h]

[h=2]starting from[/h]$62,280

[h=3]Reasons to buy the Toyota Sequoia Platinum[/h]
generic_badge.gif

Best suspension
Independent
generic_badge.gif

Rear air conditioning
Standard
generic_badge.gif

Plenty of cupholders
generic_badge.gif

More passenger seats

Runner-up[h=2]Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited[/h]

[h=2]starting from[/h]$43,930

[h=3]Reasons to buy the Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited[/h]
generic_badge.gif

Very spacious back seats
65.2 ft3
generic_badge.gif

Comparable towing weight
1555 lb
generic_badge.gif

Good ground clearance for rough terrain
10.4"
generic_badge.gif

Quite expensive
$43,930

Practicality10.0vs7.5[details]

• The Sequoia Platinum has 12 more cupholders, 18 vs 6
  • Room for 2 more people, 7 vs 5
  • Room for more than 2x more stuff, 120.1 ft3 vs 56.9 ft3
Luxury Features10.0vs7.8[details]

• Enjoy additional natural light with the Sequoia Platinum's standard sun roof
Cost5.3vs6.3[details]

• The best price we've seen is $18,350 cheaper (around 30% less), $43,930 vs $62,280
Entertainment System10.0vs9.3[details]

• Both cars offer an entertainment system for passengers, but it'll cost extra to get it on the Tundra CrewMax Limited
  • The Sequoia Platinum has 2 more speakers, providing a better entertainment experience, 14 vs 12
Safety Features10.0vs10.0
Too close to call
[details]

• Both have good airbag coverage
  • Both have electronic stability control
Performance7.5vs7.4
Too close to call
[details]

• Both will do well in poor weather or off-road conditions
  • Fairly powerful
  • Both provide sporty handling
Crash Test Ratings-vs-
Missing information
[details]

• Good protection, only 10% to 20% chance of rolling over during emergency lane change
Road Tests-vs-
Missing information
[details]

• Both take longer to stop from 60mph
Overall8.8vs8.0

[h=2]Practicality[/h]
Toyota
Sequoia Platinum
Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

Passengers7vs5The Sequoia Platinum has lots of passenger seats and the Tundra CrewMax Limited is OK, too
help_14.gif

Cargo space120.1 ft3vs56.9 ft3The Sequoia Platinum has lots of cargo room and the Tundra CrewMax Limited is pretty good
help_14.gif

front seats62.5 ft3vs65.8 ft3The Tundra CrewMax Limited has roomy front seats and the Sequoia Platinum is OK
help_14.gif

Base payload capacity1235 lbvs1555 lbThe Tundra CrewMax Limited is comparable to most other vehicles for towing capacity, but the Sequoia Platinum is quite limited
help_14.gif

folding rear seatsStandardvsStandardBoth have a rear seat that folds down for extra storage space
help_14.gif

power outletsStandardvsStandardBoth have power outlets
help_14.gif

navigation systemStandardvsOptionalThe Sequoia Platinum's standard navigation system will ensure you never get lost again; optional upgrade required on the Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

Cupholders18vs6The Sequoia Platinum has an absurd number of cupholders, 14 extra in front
help_14.gif

front air conditioningStandardvsStandardA/C for hot summer days comes standard
[h=2]Luxury Features[/h]
Toyota
Sequoia Platinum
Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

moon roofStandardvsNot AvailableEnjoy additional natural light with the Sequoia Platinum's standard sun roof
help_14.gif

power seatsStandardvsStandardBoth have power seats
help_14.gif

keyless entryStandardvsStandardBoth have keyless entry
help_14.gif

leatherStandardvsStandardBoth come standard with leather interiors
[h=2]Cost[/h]
Toyota
Sequoia Platinum
Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

MSRP$62,280vs$43,930The Tundra CrewMax Limited has a reasonable price, while the Sequoia Platinum is very expensive
help_14.gif

In-city gas mileage13 mpgvs13 mpgVery inefficient in the city
help_14.gif

basic warranty miles36,000 milevs36,000 mileAverage basic warranty
help_14.gif

basic warranty years3 yearvs3 yearAverage lasting basic warranty
[h=2]Entertainment System[/h]
Toyota
Sequoia Platinum
Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

Number of speakers14vs12Audiophile's dream: lots of speakers
help_14.gif

Has speed sensitive volumeNovsNoNeither offers speed-sensitive volume
help_14.gif

CD playerStandardvsStandardCD player comes standard
help_14.gif

premium radioStandardvsStandardBoth come standard with satellite radio
help_14.gif

Has auxiliary audio inputYesvsYesBoth have an audio-in jack so you can plug in your own MP3 player to the stereo
help_14.gif

Has subwooferYesvsYesThe Sequoia Platinum has a subwoofer to accurately produce deep bass frequencies in music
help_14.gif

entertainment systemStandardvsOptionalBoth cars offer an entertainment system for passengers, but it'll cost extra to get it on the Tundra CrewMax Limited
[h=2]Safety Features[/h]
Toyota
Sequoia Platinum
Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

antilock brakesStandardvsStandardBoth come standard with ABS brakes
help_14.gif

Stability control systemYesvsYesBoth have electronic stability control
help_14.gif

Airbags6vs6Both have good airbag coverage
help_14.gif

Rear brakesDiscvsDiscBoth have the usual brakes for this class of vehicle
help_14.gif

child door locksStandardvsStandardChild door locks come standard
help_14.gif

Roadside assistance systemNonevsNone
[h=2]Performance[/h]
Toyota
Sequoia Platinum
Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

Horsepower381 HP @ 5,600 RPMvs381 HP @ 5,600 RPMFairly powerful
help_14.gif

Number of gears6vs6Average number of gears
help_14.gif

TransmissionAutomatic transmissionvsAutomatic transmissionBoth offer an automatic transmission, standard for this class
help_14.gif

paddle shiftersNot AvailablevsNot AvailableNeither offers paddle shifters
help_14.gif

Air compressorNonevsNoneNeither has an air compressor for increased power output
help_14.gif

Power-to-weight ratio15.9 lb/hpvs14.8 lb/hpBoth provide sporty handling
help_14.gif

Drivetrain typefour-wheel drivevsfour-wheel driveBoth will do well in poor weather or off-road conditions
help_14.gif

Curb-to-curb turning radius39.2 ftvs44.0 ftThe Sequoia Platinum can make tight turns, and the Tundra CrewMax Limited is comparable to most other vehicles
[h=2]Crash Test Ratings[/h]
Toyota
Sequoia Platinum
Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

Rollover resistance4 starsvs4 starsGood protection, only 10% to 20% chance of rolling over during emergency lane change
help_14.gif

Front driver crash testUnknownvsUnknown
help_14.gif

Driver side crash testUnknownvsUnknown
[h=2]Road Tests[/h]
Toyota
Sequoia Platinum
Toyota
Tundra CrewMax Limited
help_14.gif

0-60 mph7.1 secondsvs6.7 secondsThe Tundra CrewMax Limited has a good 0-60 time, but the Sequoia Platinum is just average
help_14.gif

Braking distance at 60mph146 ftvs153 ftBoth take longer to stop from 60mph
help_14.gif

1/4 mile15.6 s @ 92 mphvs15.3 s @ 93 mphThe Tundra CrewMax Limited's 1/4 mile time is zippy, but the Sequoia Platinum's is just OK
help_14.gif

Lateral accelerationUnknownvsUnknown
help_14.gif

Top speed105 mphvsUnknown

Is your tundra a Diesel mate, how well is it on fuel? Was looking at replacing my collie with a f250 Dually the other day but the thing struggles to get in two digit MPG figures, sweet ride though...

NO mine is Petrol and I can achieve about 13 to 14 mpg. It is said that with a supercharger which ups your BHP from 381BHP to 501 BHP you should beable to achieve about 15 to 16mpg with sensible driving.

Back