Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfer PTO cover still leaking after gasket replacement...

Lorin

I recently replaced the PTO cover gasket on the transfer - cleaned everything up properly, torqued it all up to spec but it's still leaking! It looks like it's coming from one of the lowest bolts. Is there anything I missed, or should have done? Should I take it all apart and use some gasket sealant as well? Need to sort it as I'm losing all my Mobil 1 :grin:

Maybe there's a crack in the cover Lorin, I hope not but it's a possibility. Often it's invisible when the cover is not stressed, yet when in place, tightening the bolts may open up a crack.

Other than that, a liquid gasket with or without the original gasket may be the way to go.

Sometimes, covers become distorted, often where the bolts pull it in, they become 'high spots' preventing compression on the gasket between the bolts.

Can you see where the leak is coming from? That may give you a hint.

Cheers Clive, I hadn't thought of that. I have had a look and there's nothing obviously visible - it just looks like it's coming from one of the lower bolts. I'll see if I can get a better look tomorrow. I've still got my old transfer, so I will try swapping PTO covers and maybe use a bit of sealant as you say.

It's worth checking a flat cover like that with a straight-edge after cleaning it up well.

A steel rule along each edge on the mating face will show up any irregularities, then you can take off the couple of thou of offending deformation, it doesn't usually take much doing, some coarse grit cloth on a flat surface and a bit of elbow grease in circular motions should do it.

Cracks are harder to detect.

Sounds like a job for RTV sealant. If it's good enough for the sump…

Did you apply any thread sealer to any of the bolts as the FSM shows for one of them. If any of the bolt holes go right through the casing they'll need sealer of some sort whereas blind holes won't.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Lorin, I know all the seals were replaced but there was no sign of the PTO cover leaking? I would pull it and go back and clean everything in solvent, look at the cover under a bright light for cracks, and also lay it on a piece of flat glass and see if it 'rocks' this will show up distortion.

If you drag the mounting face over a sheet of emery whist on the glass, you may expose some distortion around the bolt holes?

Use RTV sealant on the bolts as well as the gasket faces.

regards

Dave

And just check the breather too. If that's stuck, there will be a pressure increase inside and whilst not exactly gas tight to begin with, it will add to the problem. They do get quite warm

Cheers for all the advice. Off to get some RTV and sort it now :thumbup:

Back